No announcement yet.

Footballers and CoronaVirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the correction. Should have checked before posting.

Comment

LASK v Man U is to be behind closed doors, as are all La Liga games until at least March 22nd (next 2 weekends)

I'll be surprised if the EPL still has its head in the sand on this by Saturday.

Comment

I think we're good for this weekend but the CMO's timeframe yesterday of 10-14 days for the next stage of the spread of the disease could be a major turning point.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Not risk, you actually do #speakingfromexperience
          Oops, sorry, Pebble.

Comment

As supporters, how are people feeling about going to games?

Obviously if games are cancelled or held behind closed doors then that stops people from going. But what about if games don't get called off? At what level does a crowd become a big enough crowd to get the game cancelled?

This weekend I'm planning to go to two games - a Cymru Premier game (average crowd 500ish - will be less because of the rugby) and a Championship game (average crowd over 20,000 although it will be on a Sunday lunchtime). At this point I'm still thinking of going. I haven't reached that risk point yet where I think it's too risky to go. I do wonder if I am being ridiculously cavalier about it all.

What is everyone else thinking regarding this?

Comment

Home game against Sheff Utd on Saturday which will draw over 50,000. Saturday after the Man City cup game for which tickets just went on sale today-first quarter final since 2005 as has been frequently observed. 7pm KO so pubs will be full all day. And Man City have been given 8,000 tickets. Not optimistic of game going ahead but will be attending if it does.

Comment

I watched Juve v inter on Sunday night - Christ was it boring without fans there, regardless of what was happening on the field. Will you all really be watching games on TV where you can hear the players/managers/coaches all bellowing Sunday-league style, while every touch of the ball has been miked up to sound like a fight in an action movie? It just seems so wrong to be playing under these conditions. Like football now thinks it's so important that the world couldn't possibly survive without the fekkin' Champions League.

Still, good excuse not to watch football and do something more useful, like scratch my arse.

Comment

A Linfield player has been confirmed as having Covid-19.

Comment

Linfield player is ex NI international Ryan McGivern

Comment

Squires' take:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...virus-outbreak

Comment

What Greenlander said re: playing games behind closed doors, surely the risk is higher if people end up packing out pubs (etc) to watch games. I'd have thought things like gigging carry a greater risk than watching football outdoors does as well, yet most gigs seem to be going ahead (though SXSW did get cancelled, much to the sadness of a number of mates of mine who were booked to go over this year).

Still, if you want to keep tabs on what leagues are doing what wrt cancelling or "ghosting" *ahem* games due to coronavirus, then the outstanding Europlan website is keeping tabs on its impact football wise: https://www.europlan-online.de/index...fIegQUrlUCq6GU

What struck me going through that list, is the cancellation and "ghosting" of games in Slovenia, Macedonia and Gibraltar. I've not been in crowds bigger than 300-500 in top flight games in any of those, so if that is following solid medical advice then if England follows suit, i'd imagine it'd wipe out the top 5 leagues and a few in Nationals North and South as well.

And in answer to Patrick T, I still plan on going to games, admittedly I tend to do lower league stuff wherever I may watch it, but until someone deems it bad enough to shut borders and close social events down, I'll crack on.
                        Europlan-Online, hier finden Groundhopper Informationen und Bilder zu Stadien aus Deutschland und aller Welt. Anschriften, Anfahrten, Ligaübersichten, News, Spielpläne und vieles mehr zum Thema Groundhopping.
                        Last edited by super furry dice; 10-03-2020, 20:28.

Comment

I'll be going to Anfield tomorrow - it's a big crowd but in the open air it doesn't feel remotely risky compared to travelling on the tube or going in a packed pub.

Today I've been on two very busy trains for a combined total of nearly 3 hours and visited a busy office where I had to pull open 4 doors between the bogs and the meeting I was in (20 people), which feels like it made my careful hand washing redundant by the time I got back to my laptop. Oh yeah, and we're still hotdesking at work too.

Comment

If we start calling off matches and the premier league isn't completed this season, won't that mean that Liverpool won't be league champions?

Every cloud has a silver lining!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                              If we start calling off matches and the premier league isn't completed this season, won't that mean that Liverpool won't be league champions?

Every cloud has a silver lining!
                              In one sense yes, that would be hilarious. But would it mean no promotion / relegation all the way down the pyramid. It would also mean points deductions being rendered meaningless and miscreants getting away with their bad behaviour.

Comment

Probably worth it though. You can't put a price on comedy.

Comment

Manchester City v Arsenal is off, after Arsenal confirmed they are absolutely riddled. Several players are self-isolating as a precaution.

Comment

The Arsenal players are self-isolating because they met with the Olympiakos/Forest president after their match

Comment

They met him on Feb 27 so they will be in the clear by Saturday, when they play Brighton. I wonder when Marinakis last met the Olympiacos players? It's a disgrace that UEFA has not postponed that Olympiacos v Wolves tie. They must know it would start a cascade of other postponements but that's no excuse.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...er-coronavirus

Liverpool could get the title sewn up on March 21st if the season can limp through to then.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        They met him on Feb 27 so they will be in the clear by Saturday, when they play Brighton. I wonder when Marinakis last met the Olympiacos players? It's a disgrace that UEFA has not postponed that Olympiacos v Wolves tie. They must know it would start a cascade of other postponements but that's no excuse.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...er-coronavirus

Liverpool could get the title sewn up on March 21st if the season can limp through to then.
                                        Well Arsenal players met him at the match between Arsenal and Olimpiacos. It would seem likely that he met his own players at that time too.

Comment

Failure to complete the league one way or another would mean no European football next season. Pretty sure that's not gonna happen.

I'm with imp on the behind-closed-doors nonsense. I watched a bit of Valencia-Atalanta last night, really depressing stuff, like watching a training session. Let's just play 2-3 games a week in April May assuming things have improved by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                            I'll be going to Anfield tomorrow - it's a big crowd but in the open air it doesn't feel remotely risky compared to travelling on the tube or going in a packed pub.
                                            Fair enough but there is some puzzlement here at why some teams can play with spectators present and others can't.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              The Arsenal players are self-isolating because they met with the Olympiakos/Forest president after their match
                                              I don’t remember the match being cancelled when the whole Spurs first team got food poisoning. I thought that was why you had a squad? Unless Arsenal don’t actually have 11 non-isolated players In their named squad, the match should proceed, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Fair enough but there is some puzzlement here at why some teams can play with spectators present and others can't.
                                                Because the UK prefers to pretend everything is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                                  I don’t remember the match being cancelled when the whole Spurs first team got food poisoning. I thought that was why you had a squad? Unless Arsenal don’t actually have 11 non-isolated players In their named squad, the match should proceed, surely?
                                                  If you really want to go through the looking glass, remember which team benefited from Spurs losing that game.

Comment

Whereas, ironically, Spurs would more likely benefit from Arsenal actually playing tonight. (Dependant upon which version of Man City turned up, of course.)

But that 2006 debacle was as a result of food poisoning - there’s a slight difference between something like that and a highly-contagious global virus.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X