No announcement yet.

Footballers and CoronaVirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spectators allowed in enclosed grounds at any level until May 17th. Absolutely fucking ridiculous:

https://twitter.com/ollie_bayliss/status/1379481882413391878?s=21

Comment

In the face of stiff competition, the DCMS make a really strong bid to be the most clueless shower of fuckwitted cunts involved in sports administration. How the fuck is this following the science? I bet it fucks up my plans to go motor racing before May 17th too. I'd like to shit in my hand and make Oliver Dowden eat it.

Comment

It's worse than that potentially isn't it? So my first thought was the selfish one that at least I'll still have plenty of grounds I can visit legally including Springhead where ludicrously I could watch legally from behind one goal but not the other. Having read the whole document though it seems to be saying that games likely to attract a crowd, whether enclosed or not, shouldn't take place at all. Can't wait to hear the F.A.'s response to this.

Comment

Anything "intended to attract spectators" is banned.

Comment

But you can have 4000 people at a car boot sale. As well as lying about following the science, it's the lack of consistency that boils my piss, if they just said we don't want large crowds at outdoor events until May then it would feel much less dimwitted.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Which is a typically nebulous distinction. This guidance tonight has certainly already been taken to mean games in unenclosed pitches are "open" to spectators and clubs from the eleventh tier and below (where spectators are far from the primary reason for matches) are already promoting them as such.

The frustration is that previous recent FA/DCMS guidance had already said clubs at those levels would be allowed spectators inside enclosed grounds too.

I cannot fathom how matches with capacities largely limited to the low hundreds (as was the case from August to December, November excluded) as a fraction of ground capacity with social distancing in place in levels from the ninth tier down can be seen as any real level of risk.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-04-2021, 19:29.

Comment

One can only hope that the absence of ticketing at grassroots level will be taken to demonstrate absence of intent.

Comment

Any league that publishes attendances would be fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                    But you can have 4000 people at a car boot sale. As well as lying about following the science, it's the lack of consistency that boils my piss, if they just said we don't want large crowds at outdoor events until May then it would feel much less dimwitted.
                    Where has the 4,000 figure for attendance at certain outdoor events from April 12 (Step 2) come from? I've seen it a few times tonight in response to the DCMS guidance but not before. I know that's the limit from 17th May (Step 3) for most events though.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-04-2021, 19:32.

Comment

DCMS guidance says:

An event can take place at Step 2 if:
                      1. All three of the following conditions are met:

a) The event takes place outdoors

b) Attendees are expected to arrive and leave the event in a staggered manner throughout the day

c) It does not involve attendees converging on and congregating in a site for a specific discrete performance or activity, such as a theatre or music performance, OR
                      2. It is a drive-in performance or show.

This could include events such as:
                      • agricultural shows
                      • steam rallies
                      • flower shows
                      • gardening shows and events
                      • literary fairs
                      • car boot sales
                      • community fairs
                      • village fetes
                      • animal and pet shows
                      • funfairs and fairgrounds
                      • drive-in cinemas and drive-in performance events (eg comedy, dance, music, theatre and air shows)
                      • food and drink festivals

Events that are able to commence from Step 2 are not subject to a capacity cap on attendees. However, we expect these events to have fewer than 4,000 attendees per day. Organisers of events that are likely to have more than 4,000 attendees should notify the local authority and should only take place if the event organisers can assure the local authority that attendees will be dispersed across a sufficiently large geographic area or will be sufficiently distributed throughout the day, so as to mitigate the risk of crowding at the venue (including entry and exit points; toilet facilities; and food and drink facilities) and on public transport.

Comment

"distributed throughout the day" seems to be the crux.

Comment

Ah, where's that published? It's not on here :

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ses-and-venues

Comment

"distributed throughout the day" seems to be the crux.
                            Absolutely but you're clearly going to have the same kind of 100-600 people at one time that the level of football games we're talking about would.

Comment

It's in this Coronavirus (COVID-19): Organised events guidance for local authorities - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Comment

4000 people spread out as evenly as possible over a 7 hour day is still over 500 people an hour and that's if everyone stays not a minute longer. This is by far the most ridiculous ruling yet against some pretty stiff opposition.

Comment

This far in to the pandemic it shouldn't surprise me that the government publishes two sets of information in different places that are, at best, partial and unclear and, at worst, seemingly contradictory.

Comment

Just wait til the FA make a half-arsed attempt to interpret it and just make it even more unclear....

Comment

As I thought, this latest piece of nonsense from the DCMS has buggered my motor racing plans too.

Race events

New guidance was issued by government on Tuesday 6 April which contradicts the previous position that spectators would be permitted at non-elite sport events from Step Two of the roadmap (12 April onwards).

Whilst outdoor attractions like zoos and theme parks can reopen, and events such as boot fairs, steam rallies and food festivals can take place with up to 4,000 visitors per day, a specific ban has been applied to spectators at sport events - even at grassroots level - until 17 May.

This means that all events due to take place between 12 April and 17 May will now be run behind closed doors, and only essential personnel may attend.

MSV is incredibly disappointed by this development. The UK government is now actively encouraging people to get outside and enjoy the fresh air, and circuit venues are by their very nature wide-open spaces like parks, with ample room to enable social distancing across dozens of spectator viewing areas. Nevertheless, we must comply with this new guidance and all affected customers will be contacted by email with options on how to manage their booking - including obtaining refunds.

Comment

The Shrewsbury chief executive has told the local press that league 1 clubs won't be part of the pilot stadium events. There will be no more opportunities to see a game before the end of the season.

Comment

I wondered about the playoffs (unlikely to apply to Shrewsbury alas)- First legs would be due on the weekend before Monday 17th May, the date fans can be admitted up to a quarter capacity. They surely won't allow fans in for second legs but not first. So, shift playoffs to start the 17th or after, or keep the doors closed even after the law has relaxed?

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                                            I wondered about the playoffs
                                            "They're these little knockout tournaments to decide the last promotion place, Nesta"

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                              The Shrewsbury chief executive has told the local press that league 1 clubs won't be part of the pilot stadium events. There will be no more opportunities to see a game before the end of the season.
                                              I know from ongoing discussions that the government want strict controls and protocols on the next wave of test events, far more so than anything that happened last year.

I'd be surprised if they widened it much beyond the already announced events such as the Wembley cup games and if they do have my doubts they will empower EFL clubs to stage them.
                                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-04-2021, 10:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                                                I wondered about the playoffs (unlikely to apply to Shrewsbury alas)- First legs would be due on the weekend before Monday 17th May, the date fans can be admitted up to a quarter capacity. They surely won't allow fans in for second legs but not first. So, shift playoffs to start the 17th or after, or keep the doors closed even after the law has relaxed?
                                                There was a rumour the play offs would move to after 17th May so fans could be allowed in. (I think I heard it reported on the radio)

Comment

Five Leicester City players unavailable for today's game due to attending a house party, either people still don't get it or they've been doing this all along and the risk of getting caught is marginal.

Comment

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/apr...-full-support/

I wasn't sure where to put this. Poor chap has obviously been struggling with his mental health for a while. Being isolated from his family and living in a hotel during lockdown only appears to have exacerbated matters. Took a lot of bottle to come out and say it. Hopefully he gets the support he needs now.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X