No announcement yet.

Footballers and CoronaVirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bayliss Twitter feed has numerous posts on leagues restarting or organizing Cups:

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss

Comment

Interesting comment on the Gloucester City forum from their co-chairman:

Alex Petheram

Threads: 19

#601 hour ago
      The season isn't over yet ... watch this space ...

AP

Comment

The NCEL are not going to have a cup competition this spring.

The management committee of the NCEL have met this evening to discuss the possibility of holding a Cup competition for our clubs once adult football can resume on March 29th, 2021.

The committee have voted NOT to stage a competition for our member clubs, believing it is not feasible at the moment due to no spectators being allowed in until at least May 17th, 2021, with no income from clubhouses and snack bars, etc.

We are aware that several clubs have been contacted by other teams in their local areas with regard to playing "localised" tournaments, should the above situation ease.

Clubs are reminded that they would require permission from the NCEL to enter any such outside tournament, by requesting this in writing from the League Secretary.

Appropriate sanction of any competition would also be required from the respective County FA.

Clubs will be free to play friendly matches after March 29th, 2021, currently they must be behind closed doors, should they wish to do so and can also resume training on this date.

Comment

The committee have voted NOT to stage a competition for our member clubs, believing it is not feasible at the moment due to no spectators being allowed in until at least May 17th, 2021, with no income from clubhouses and snack bars, etc.
          The former point, at least, is yet to be established and I'm pretty sure all the leagues planning one-off tournaments beginning in April are assuming it is not the case.

It would certainly be inconsistent with the position for August to mid-December last year (November's lockdown excluded).
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-02-2021, 09:40.

Comment

Clubs in our youth leagues (Tewkesbury Town Colts play in both the Cheltenham and Evesham Leagues) have been asked their views on continuing from the end of March through to the end of June.

My club doesn't have a home base, so has pitches in different parts of Tewkesbury. U9s and U11s play on a local cricket field which is only available until April, my U10s play on an old farmers field which is available year round, U12s and U13s play on a local park which is available and the older years play at Tewkesbury School - which gets rid of it's football pitches after April. Apparently the club is in talks with the school about keeping a full-sized pitch and some of the older teams playing midweek as well as weekends, so it's just the U9s and U11s that need sorting.

Ultimately, my boys look like we'll be carrying on and I can't wait to get back to it. I haven't looked at any training drills for some time and we need to start getting ready for next season when they start playing offsides and foul throws being penalised. I almost don't know where to start on that...

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
              In an act of defiance at the NLN and NLS being declared null and void, Gloucester City are playing Dorking Wanderers in a friendly tomorrow at New Meadow Park.
              I wasn't checking social media yesterday so am not sure of the whys and wherefores, but apparently York and Gateshead played a friendly yesterday as well. Seems City did post about it on socials, including a post-match interview with the manager, but then swiftly removed all mention of it from everywhere. Possibly because Gateshead voted in favour of null and void, and they were worried about questions being raised as to why they were now playing matches and not on furlough? All very mysterious.

Comment

It seems Dorking have been paying clubs to play them in friendlies over the last few weeks. They played Bath the other week and I got the impression that Dorking paid all of their expenses. My mates lad got ?50 for sitting on the bench but wasn't expecting it. BoE might be able to confirm this.

Comment

O/T: My wife used to work in Tewkesbury, in a building in the Business Park.

Comment

There's a few business parks in Tewkesbury.

I love it here - been nearly 11 years now. I hated it for the first few years, but it was easier for commuting to Stratford upon Avon at the time. Now, unless the wife agrees on us moving to Churchdown, I don't see myself living anywhere else.

Back on topic - Gloucester beat Dorking 2-1 and, with tongue firmly in cheek, are declaring themselves the champion of champions.

Comment

Is there a chance the National League top tier could break away and invite them in for next season? (In any case, it's a bit rich because loads of teams had games in hand on Gloucester).

Comment

I may have it wrong, but on ppg they weren't top. That only changed in the last game before null and void though. Can't remember who would have been top, think it was Chester, but don't quote me on that.

Comment

Steve Cotterill has been readmitted to hospital.

Comment

Non-elite motorsport has been given the go ahead to allow an yet unspecified number of spectators ("in compliance with COVID-secure guidance issued by government") from 17 April, so if that is extended to non-elite outdoor sports across the board then we might have the rumoured non-league cups and friendlies restarting from the same date.

This also ties in with the proposed date for outdoor hospitality reopening, which would mean clubs could operate takeaway food and drink sales, which I think most above step 7 had agreed was a necessity if they were to stage games. Fingers crossed then....

Comment

We've got it again. There's going to be a league enquiry as to why this is. As there should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                Non-elite motorsport has been given the go ahead to allow an yet unspecified number of spectators ("in compliance with COVID-secure guidance issued by government") from 17 April, so if that is extended to non-elite outdoor sports across the board then we might have the rumoured non-league cups and friendlies restarting from the same date.

This also ties in with the proposed date for outdoor hospitality reopening, which would mean clubs could operate takeaway food and drink sales, which I think most above step 7 had agreed was a necessity if they were to stage games. Fingers crossed then....
                                Given grassroots sport restarts on March 29th and outdoor hospitality on April 12th it seems perverse to introduce a third, later date for any non-elite sport with food & drink on sale. Where have you seen April 17th mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Given grassroots sport restarts on March 29th and outdoor hospitality on April 12th it seems perverse to introduce a third, later date for any non-elite sport with food & drink on sale. Where have you seen April 17th mentioned?
                                  April 17th is a Saturday and 12th is a Monday so I assume motorsport doesn't take place in midweek.

Comment

That makes sense though it depends on the sports obviously. Elite speedway is starting right on Monday May 17th as soon as the relevant restrictions end but it can run any day of the week.

Technically the third tier National League speedway would be non-elite and can start from March 29th or April 12th (pending crowds and possibly food & drink sales making it financially viable) but suspect it will wait and tie in with the higher levels.

There does just seem to be a lot of arbitrary speculative dates flying around not directly linked to those of the different steps on the road map. I suspect that will continue to be the case until the government and/or governing bodies give some clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                      April 17th is a Saturday and 12th is a Monday so I assume motorsport doesn't take place in midweek.
                                      Yeah, spot on Capy. I realised after I'd posted that football could potentially kick off on the 12th but I was out for my evening walk by then and couldn't be arsed to edit.

For elite motorsport (ie BSB, BTCC) they're still waiting for DCMS guidance on what the crowd restrictions will be from 17th May. Presume all the speedway venues will fall into the 4000 or (more likely) 50% capacity category?

Comment

Apols of corn etc, but my wife had a (correctly socially distanced of course) coffee with her mate who is head of security at WHL. She said that all clubs have been given permission to have crowds of up to 10,000 for the last game of the season. However, those teams who are due to play the last game away complained, so now they are considering playing the last two games with a limited crowd, or scrapping the idea all together.

Comment

Christ, absolutely absurd if this is accurate :

https://twitter.com/ollie_bayliss/status/1369714220208685061?s=21

Comment

That would be an absolute joke. Maybe clubs should open up their hospitality and put well-spaced beer garden tables all round their pitch and have a thousand in there getting shitfaced on a Saturday afternoon instead of 300 watching a match - cos that would be acceptable under the government's rules and obviously so much safer....

Comment

The guide linked to in the statement on the NCEFL site refers specifically to competitions run for step 3-6 clubs. I'm still hopeful that competitions for clubs at step 7 and below will go ahead with fans allowed. The Manchester League released the fixtures for 3 Cup competitions yesterday and I've already pencilled a bunch of games I hope to attend in April and May.

Comment

Will steps 3-6 now cancel the various cups they'd set up or still play them for the food/drink/hospitality revenue?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  Will steps 3-6 now cancel the various cups they'd set up or still play them for the food/drink/hospitality revenue?
                                                  Prestwich Heys of the NWCFL have organised a competition and claim to have a plan in place for if fans aren't allowed. They've not said what it is though.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                    Steps 3 & 4 had no competitions planned and if levels 5 and 6 can't allow crowds in before May 17th there won't be any hospitality revenue, I also can't see there being time for full competitions to be viable.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X