No announcement yet.

Footballers and CoronaVirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manchester City should not be allowed to play Chelsea. It is highly likely a COVID positive player will be on the pitch without knowing.

Comment

Haven't all the Man City players who are due to play returned negative tests?

Comment

What kind of testing are they doing, by the way? Do we know?

Comment

(testing negative with a lateral flow means very little. Testing negative with a pcr test means you are very unlikely to have had it when you type the test. Which was a couple of days ago, usually. So, you know)

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            Haven't all the Man City players who are due to play returned negative tests?
            Testing negative on a 2/3 reliable test. It is dumb to risk people's health like this. If five people in an office of twenty tested positive, would you let the other 15 go off to a business meeting?

I don't care what they do with the points. It is reckless.

Comment

I agree, and the long-term COVID among the Newcastle players should have been a season ender in itself, as noted above.

Comment

This makes me wonder. If a players career was ended because they had Long Covid, which looks a lot like CFS, would clubs be legally liable for lost earnings if they had failed in some way to follow the protocols and administer tests? That could be considered to be millions in compensation.

I know this seems insensitive. But it's suddenly brought home to me there could be litigation against all sorts of employers in the future.

Comment

Where's the PFA in all this? It's an obvious strike issue.

Comment

Which is exactly why Mitch McConnell has been so desperate to add blanket immunity to any piece of legislation that has a chance of passing

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      Which is exactly why Mitch McConnell has been so desperate to add blanket immunity to any piece of legislation that has a chance of passing
                      Probably in-between warming hell by rubbing his hands, furiously celebrating being on watch for a new pre-existing condition.

Comment

Burnley vs Fulham postponed.

Comment

Coz of Burnley or Fulham?

Comment

Fulham.

Comment

Our winger Harry Anderson isn't in the match squad today as he felt unwell last night and as a precaution is being kept isolated away from the squad at the team hotel. Next round of testing is Monday.

Comment

https://twitter.com/CymruLeagues/status/1346131562618884097?s=19

Comment

I thought last summer, and may have said on here at the time, that when football restarted below the top two divisions they should have used the time to finish off the 19/20 season. I imagine had they done that we would at least have had one complete season by now rather than the two consecutive unfinished ones we look likely to get.

Promotion/relegation from those top two divisions would have been an issue but we're now left with every other level of the pyramid below them a complete mess.

Comment

The Highland League restarted in late November and has only got through three rounds of games so far, so this could be an extremely short season for them.

Comment

Given that a lot of leagues at step 3 and below have barely got going why don't they avoid another cancellation and just roll this season over into next - a kind of giant 2020-22 campaign. Accept this season is a write off, restart in August with the current tables and remaining fixtures and just play to a conclusion. If things are reasonably back to normal by then, they get lucky with the weather next winter and everything gets completed early the leagues could just create some cup competitions to tide over spring 2022 and bring clubs some additional revenue.

Comment

The last word of your post is the key part of it, I suspect. And also why Ray's quite sensible logistically suggestion wasn't done - those involved desperately need the situation to be back to normal yesterday. Kicking the can eight months down the road, or accepting the effective loss of an entire season by making it 2019-21, probably means clubs folding the next day due to no prospect at all of revenue for months on end rather than (the chimera that) the tap is only six to eight weeks away from running again.

Comment

One strategy among some leagues has been to delay decisions to the end of each shutdown, so presently that would be half-term, but I don't see what is going to change. You might get some fans back by Easter but you won't have the bars and hospitality than make non-league football viable when crowds are limited to 150-300.

Is there a chance of playing through the summer, perhaps by teams only playing half their home games and half their away ones then doing a PPG table?

Comment

AFC Emley's chairman suggested that last week, playing a 19 game season and doing promotion / relegation off that. That's not as easy in reality as it might sound because there will be instances where clubs will have played twice already and it'll be tricky for leagues to determine how to account for the games in a final table.

Elsewhere Wednesday announced earlier today they'd had a Covid outbreak with positive tests and the training ground had been closed. Now Wayne Rooney's Derby have announced the same thing. We played each other on Friday so let's take a guess what might have happened there.

Comment

Compulsory testing came back in today, I think, so Wednesday-WR Derby is just the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                Is there a chance of playing through the summer, perhaps by teams only playing half their home games and half their away ones then doing a PPG table?
                                                Not usually, because pitches need to be repaired and grounds maintained. Although the former might not be such an issue after very limited use!

It's a shame so many leagues rushed to null and void their competitions back in March - combining those results with the bits and pieces of this season might have been a way forward. Now I think it'll be very hard to do promotion and relegation based on whatever they manage to cobble together between now and June. Cup competitions might be the best way forward?

Comment

I was hoping that yesterday would see the end of "elite" football, for a while at least. Sadly not.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BBCShropSport/status/1346811955181449217?s=19

Chatter is the FA will award the cup game to Southampton.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X