• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    Fairs Cup?
    It made me happy...

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
      And after all that, a club-by-club guide.
      The 4,000 Tier 1 limit seems superfluous because none of the 92 clubs are in Tier 1.

Comment

That's the case currently but areas can go down (and up) the tier system as Liverpool has done either side of Lockdown II.

The first reviews will be on Dec 16 (and weekly following that apparently) so it's possible, if unlikely, a club could qualify for the 4000 cap before Xmas.

Comment

Can't embed tweets on my phone but Ollie Bayliss "understands" no fans will be allowed anywhere in tier 3. Can the likes of the NWCFL possibly continue if that's the case?

Comment

No, is the short answer.

Comment

Part of the deal for starting the grassroots season back in September was that clubs could admit spectators, so there's no chance of restarting where that's not the case. The NCEL is absolutely fucked for a start, all bar one of the clubs (Selby Town) is in tier 3 currently. Presumably leagues will hang on as long as they can to see if some fixtures can be staged or if clubs change tier at the government reviews, but at some point early in the new year they'll likely have to admit defeat and scrap this season as well.

Objectively it does make sense not admitting spectators in tier 3 though - it seems daft that I could mingle with 300 others (who may have different attitudes to risk and the pandemic in general to me) at a game yet not have a single friend over to sit at a distance in my back garden.
              Last edited by longeared; 26-11-2020, 20:31.

Comment

Ah, here's the NCEL's summary of tonight's meeting:

The latest monthly COVID-19 meeting between the FA and National League System Step 5 and 6 competitions - including the Toolstation NCEL - took place tonight with discussions about how new tiered restrictions would affect the restart of non-league football.

The FA were keen to stress that their key objective is to "conclude the 2020/21 season and achieve promotion and relegation throughout the system as a result", either by fully completing the fixtures or by relying on a mathematical formula (i.e. Points Per Game).

37 of our 40 teams have today learned that they will be placed into Tier 3 once the national lockdown ends on 2nd December, 2020. The only member clubs who will be placed into Tier 2 are Knaresborough Town, Harrogate Railway Athletic and Selby Town.

The tiers will be reviewed by the Government every fortnight.

Information received by the FA after consultation with the government indicates that NO SPECTATORS WILL BE ALLOWED INTO GROUNDS FOR CLUBS AT TIER 3.

Clubs at tier 2 would be restricted to a maximum capacity of 300 as before with restrictions also placed on their clubhouses.

The NCEL is currently scheduled to restart on December 8th and 9th but, to gauge the opinion of clubs, we are asking our member clubs to consult with their committees and indicate to us whether their club would be willing to restart playing behind closed doors or would wish to wait until spectators are allowed back into the stadiums.

The survey of our clubs will close at 5pm on Sunday 29th November, 2020.

Comment

Will the FA or government offer them some cash to keep playing? Could some players be willing to play for free just to keep fit, enabling leagues to run with truly amateur squads?

Comment

There's the ?14 million earmarked i think it is for steps 5 & 6 but its to be in the form of loans not grants and no club is going to voluntarily saddle themselves with unservicable debts especially with this news just adding to the likelihood the season is just going to fizzle out anyway.

Comment

If the leagues with mostly Tier 3 clubs decide to stop playing (as they surely will), but others continue and manage to complete the season, how on earth would they resolve promotion to Conference N/S or other leagues where the promotion feeds are from a number of differently tiered areas? If we get to a point where sufficient games have been played to use PPG then there's a chance that could be resolvable but if not then surely the whole job is fucked?

Comment

I'm lost.

Tier 3 means League 1 as far as I'm aware. What are we talking about in football division times?

Comment

He means step 3-6 clubs in Tier 3

Comment

GO, that's the 4 levels immediately below the two levels of the Conference, if that helps. Tier 2/3 refer to covid zones not football divisions.

Comment

So I can go and see Wembley? Spartan South Midland Premier, non-league step 5. And what about Wealdstone, nl step 1?

Comment

Wembley could have had crowds since the season started, though I don't know if the they did. Wealdstone are certainly planning to start soon now they are allowed to.

Edit : on checking, Wembley were allowing fans in prior to the current lockdown.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-11-2020, 22:24.

Comment

You can see any club you want unless they play in a Tier 3 area. Presumably all leagues with a majority of clubs in tiers 1 & 2 will carry on for now but what happens with the cups is going to be only the first reminder that the levels in the pyramid are all connected and that the various leagues really don't exist in isolation.

Comment

"It has been decided @nwcfl will not restart until at least 16th December!"

Comment

The Northern League also has 37 out of 40 clubs in Tier 3, I don't see how they can possibly restart in the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                        Wembley were allowing fans in prior to the current lockdown.
                                        Yeah, I managed to get to one. Goal free it was, with a crowd of about thirty.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                          "It has been decided @nwcfl will not restart until at least 16th December!"
                                          Presumably December 16 is the first date the region could move to Tier 2? It's another way of saying they won't restart without fans.

Even with a move to Tier 2, will players need a warmup game or two?

Comment

There's a majority of clubs in NWCFL who are in Tier 3 areas, but a decent number in Tier 2 Merseyside and Cheshire (9/20 in the Premier division). If Manchester came out of Tier 3 on the 16th but not Lancs or Staffs then I suppose that might tip the balance enough that it's worth re-starting and just let the others catch up if and when they can. Alternatively you could let the Tier 2 clubs rearrange some fixtures now and play one another to get ahead of the game a bit?

Comment

Bielsa has said it's unfair for some clubs to be allowed spectators while others in the same division can't. Personally I think he has a point. And you?

Comment

Yes, especially at his level where the return of fans is largely symbolic and something that will give a lift to those lucky enough to get a ticket. The financial side of things is a drop in the ocean.

At lower levels the financial aspect becomes more and more important and I don't think it would be fair to say that Club X should be denied a possible revenue stream that might save them from insolvency just because the same opportunity isn't available to club Y.

Comment

He has. But the coronavirus doesn’t give a flying one about fairness in human sports competitions. And that, fundamentally, is why Bielsa and others who have similar opinions are missing the point.

Comment

The BBC report on this includes a comment from Salford boss Richie Wellens which seems the most realistic to me. Basically yes it’s unfair in normal circumstances, but these are not normal circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X