Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    https://twitter.com/GillibrandPeter/status/1481902821805072387?t=U4ZblfnM9GYeV7ylLOp2Bg&s=19

I think this means fans back at lower level matches. If clubs can get games on.

Leave a comment:

• Viktor Boskovic
    replied
    Very much so, the idea of national FAs being able to compensate clubs for local circumstances beyond their control would really be the ideal situation. It would have prevented this becoming an issue. The issue with the compensation for English clubs last year being a loan not a grant was a bit of a farce, given how things were so up in the air last year regarding regulations - I may be wrong but I think the way Chester is structured financially was an obstacle to obtaining a loan.

All in all it's a very sad state of affairs and puts the club in danger financially, which is why I am hoping it all gets resolved suitably. The whole nationalistic toxic nature from both sides of the Wrexham/Chester rivalry was already something I hated, I fear this sorry episode will just make it worse.

Leave a comment:

• Bizarre Löw Triangle
    replied
    With TNS, it is the FAW that bans them from having spectators, rather than wider government policy, and the Welsh Government, via the FAW that then compensates them. I wonder what would happen if England had more severe restrictions than Wales though...

I feel like that there should be funding available for national FAs to compensate their members if local regulations prevent them from hosting games. Chester aren't the only FA member to be outside the jurisdiction of the UK government on public health - FC Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey Bulls would all be in a similar situation.

Equally if Chester are in Wales for the purposes of COVID regs then they are in Wales enough for the Welsh government to have to compensate them.

It's obvious that if Chester aren't allowed fans they should be compensated, but unfortunately the "should they be allowed fans" and "who has responsibility for compensating them" are the trickier questions.

Leave a comment:

• Viktor Boskovic
    replied
    Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post

Wrexham only applied for, and received a £100,000 grant from the Welsh Government after they were denied access to Sport England funding (in the form of loans) that was available to other National League clubs. I think the National Lottery awarded money to both Sport England and the FAW, but Wrexham weren't able to access either pot of money.

Of course the fact that funding was in the form of loans was controversial and many clubs refused to take it up (and Wrexham are hardly the most deserving case at the moment).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55861043
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56761548

If Flintshire is the licensing authority, presumably they have a duty to apply the same rules to Chester as are applied to e.g. Airbus UK, Connah's Quay Nomads and Flint Town (just as Wrexham are subject to the same rules as e.g. Cefn Druids).

The golf club situation was different as I understand it because it was about whether golfers playing golf could cross the border, not about whether the golf club could open. There was never any question about golf itself not being allowed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56570337
    It's complicated by the fact that the licensing authority is Welsh whilst the lease on the ground is with an English authority, and the safety certificate is issued by an English authority.

If Chester were told they can't have a crowd but can then access money from the £3 million Spectators Sports fund (as an English club) that's a potential solution (depending on what other obligations may or may not come with this - having to join the Welsh FA for example will never happen). However, that's what makes this scenario different as I assume the clubs in Flintshire you mentioned are accessing this funding, whereas at the moment Chester can't, and won't be able to get any money from anywhere else due to loss of income. That may also be an unpopular decision for some in Wales if Welsh government money goes to an English club, which I am sure the Welsh government are aware of.

There is talk this afternoon that the club may have to switch Saturday's game to Brackley (if they agree) or play it somewhere else (which then involves paying another club to use their ground), which doesn't solve anything, however by the time of the next home match, crowds may well be allowed back into Welsh grounds, so this may be what the Welsh government is hoping resolves this issue, for now.

Leave a comment:

• Bizarre Löw Triangle
    replied
    Originally posted by Cota View Post

A meeting being held today by all accounts, but there would only seem to be 3 ways of solving things:

Firstly, things carry on as they are, given that nobody can access the stands/pitch from Wales (apparently there is a Golf club on the border near Oswestry that was allowed to carry on last year with this being the case, as it was 'self contained'). This is, I suspect, the option most Chester fans would want.

Secondly, follow the Welsh government rules, so no crowds allowed. This then opens up the next can of worms, will Chester then be eligible for funding from the Welsh Government to replace loss of income from having no crowds. This wasn't claimed last year (apparently Wrexham received £100,000 from this fund last year) due to the club being an English club, so you then have the debate about whether they should have had access to this funding as well.

Thirdly, they aren't allowed to have crowds as the pitch/stands are in Wales, but aren't allowed to claim any of the compensation money as they are an English club. This would indeed probably mean the club could very well go bust.

From reading things over the weekend, I do get the sense this issue is being used by people not happy with the Welsh Government's decision on crowds not being able to attend matches, wherther it be football or Rugby, and any impact it has on a football club playing at the end of a road in a souless industrial estate in Chester is just incidental.
    Wrexham only applied for, and received a £100,000 grant from the Welsh Government after they were denied access to Sport England funding (in the form of loans) that was available to other National League clubs. I think the National Lottery awarded money to both Sport England and the FAW, but Wrexham weren't able to access either pot of money.

Of course the fact that funding was in the form of loans was controversial and many clubs refused to take it up (and Wrexham are hardly the most deserving case at the moment).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55861043
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56761548

If Flintshire is the licensing authority, presumably they have a duty to apply the same rules to Chester as are applied to e.g. Airbus UK, Connah's Quay Nomads and Flint Town (just as Wrexham are subject to the same rules as e.g. Cefn Druids).

The golf club situation was different as I understand it because it was about whether golfers playing golf could cross the border, not about whether the golf club could open. There was never any question about golf itself not being allowed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56570337

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Viktor Boskovic yep, it's almost literally a political football

Leave a comment:

• Viktor Boskovic
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Chester FC now on the brink of going bust according to reports.
    A meeting being held today by all accounts, but there would only seem to be 3 ways of solving things:

Firstly, things carry on as they are, given that nobody can access the stands/pitch from Wales (apparently there is a Golf club on the border near Oswestry that was allowed to carry on last year with this being the case, as it was 'self contained'). This is, I suspect, the option most Chester fans would want.

Secondly, follow the Welsh government rules, so no crowds allowed. This then opens up the next can of worms, will Chester then be eligible for funding from the Welsh Government to replace loss of income from having no crowds. This wasn't claimed last year (apparently Wrexham received £100,000 from this fund last year) due to the club being an English club, so you then have the debate about whether they should have had access to this funding as well.

Thirdly, they aren't allowed to have crowds as the pitch/stands are in Wales, but aren't allowed to claim any of the compensation money as they are an English club. This would indeed probably mean the club could very well go bust.

From reading things over the weekend, I do get the sense this issue is being used by people not happy with the Welsh Government's decision on crowds not being able to attend matches, wherther it be football or Rugby, and any impact it has on a football club playing at the end of a road in a souless industrial estate in Chester is just incidental.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Chester FC now on the brink of going bust according to reports.

In other "football" news...

The WRU threatened to play Six Nations games in England if the spectator ban was still in place. Mark Drakeford said that was the WRU's decision, he didn't agree with it, but it was up to them. They've now apparently decided it would cost too much to move the games. Now the focus has shifted to how much the Cardiff economy will lose if the games go ahead behind closed doors. £20 million per game is being mentioned.

A couple of days ago I thought the Six Nations issue would push the Welsh Government towards easing the restrictions on sport. However, now I'm not so sure. I don't think the dire predictions of economic losses for Cardiff will have an impact. (For all the lost beer sales in pubs, the council can stand down the extra street cleansing teams they usually need to hose the puke off the pavements the morning after.)

If rugby internationals can't change the government's policy, then soccer doesn't have a chance really.

(A colleague of mine was poorly with covid a few months ago and is convinced she picked it up either at one of the autumn rugby internationals or in a pub before or after, so anecdotally I can see why the restrictions will stay in place.)
    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 10-01-2022, 09:08.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    https://twitter.com/GillibrandPeter/status/1479536485074407433?t=k_mRf2ALHU98JOK0sGqlFQ&s=19

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    That's probably a good idea for future seasons but too late for this one, as much as I'd like the EPL to make midseason rule changes that fuck Newcastle.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Apparently the FA want the Welsh government to lift the restrictions on clubs playing in their competitions.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Derry City are in a similar position ,although generally the North and South of Ireland have been singing from the same hymn sheet with regards to Covid

Leave a comment:

• Viktor Boskovic
    replied
    Originally posted by Nesta View Post
    Seems negligent not to have clarified this a long time before though, seeing as* the pitch, all the stands and most of the entrances are in Wales.

*source- google maps which may not be unimpeachable but seems to match with the description in the story
    The pitch is in Wales, as are the turnstiles to get in the stands, the club office and entrance to the ground are in England. The safety certificate is issued by Cheshire West Council. It is very much a unique situation, god alone knows what the legality of the situation is. When the ground was built there was no devolved Welsh government, so it wasn't an issue in those days. As to guidance in relation to Covid, I assume it would come down to whether it's covered by the safety certificate (issued in England) or where the people are stood/sat watching the football (Wales). Dealing with issues like this are one of the reasons I have never considered putting myself forward for election to the Board!

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Just in case anyone isn't following the Welsh Domestic Football thread

The FAW’s National League Board has today (7 January) confirmed that all matches in the JD Cymru Premier will resume from 8th/9th February, but where both Clubs agree to play before this date, the League will agree to schedule the fixture.

The JD Cymru South and JD Cymru North will resume from the weekend of 4th / 5th February, but where both Clubs agree to play before this date, the League will agree to schedule the fixture. The National League Board also agreed that all three Leagues will now be able to use five substitutes in all League matches with immediate effect.

The Welsh Government Coronavirus Regulations do not permit any spectators at professional or elite sporting events and the FAW National League Board acknowledges the significant loss of income that clubs in the JD Cymru Leagues will face with matches taking place behind closed doors.

Matches in all Leagues are subject to the FAW’s Return to Play protocols being adhered to and any changes in Welsh Government Coronavirus Regulations.

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    Seems negligent not to have clarified this a long time before though, seeing as* the pitch, all the stands and most of the entrances are in Wales.

*source- google maps which may not be unimpeachable but seems to match with the description in the story

Leave a comment:

• Viktor Boskovic
    replied
    Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
    This story is currently providing much mirth among some of the Wrexham fan accounts I follow...

Chester have seemingly broke Covid rules on attendances owing to their ground being in Wales
    It's a curious one. The original article in a North Wales local paper was written by a Wrexham fan. What the motivation was I don't know - internet clicks on the story, unhappiness that Wrexham attendances are restricted or the sight of 2,000 Chester fans still attending matches, who knows. It has snowballed a bit though, with the club having to meet with the North Wales Police (who don't police the matches there) and the two local authorities and may now have to play behind closed doors until it's resolved. God knows how much that will cost the club on an issue that wasn't an issue until a Wrexham fan who happens to be a sports reporter decided it needed some publicity (usually mentions about Chester FC on his twitter feed is the tired old one about the fans letting their club die). I assume though that this now means Chester will be able to access the funds the Welsh Government announced when they restricted attendances, despite being an English club registered with the FA.

Chester fans have for years joked about getting the boundary commission to look at changing the border (it's based on the old course of the River Dee 250 years ago), not quite so amusing now.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Southampton’s Hasenhüttl wants new signings banned from rearranged games

Leave a comment:

• Uros Predic
    replied
    This story is currently providing much mirth among some of the Wrexham fan accounts I follow...

Chester have seemingly broke Covid rules on attendances owing to their ground being in Wales

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
    Three Liverpool players (rumoured to be Alisson, Keita and Firmino) have returned positive Covid tests.
    Along with Klopp and several backroom staff.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Guardiola, chasing a victory against 10 men, made just 1 substitution, bringing Gundogan on for Jesus.

He then claimed his team got outplayed as his players are tired because they played against Brentford on Wednesday. They might also be tired because you've used just 2 subs in the past 3 games, hence there are potentially 7 players who could be slightly less fatigued if you chose to ease their suffering.

Leave a comment:

• Gas In Name Only
    replied
    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    Was Barton really tweeting anti vaxx stuff?
    More Barton nonsense:
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/...ations-6427942

Basically he'll sign anyone regardless of Vaxx status and thinks it's all down to the player's own decision. Contrast with BCFC who had their club doctor speak to every player before they made their minds up and then took them all en masse to get jabbed with media coverage. 95% of their players are vaccinated, I would be surprised if we were near that.

Frankly I don't believe that our covid protocols are anything like as thorough as they should be in the light of this

Leave a comment:

• Gas In Name Only
    replied
    Rovers have released their version of events but I can't be arsed with this nonsense today and shall respond with a Ron Burgundy-esque "I don't believe you" before moving on

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    The EFL needs to give Orient the 3-0 win to stop this bullshit. And the EPL should obviously give Southampton the 3-0.

Leave a comment:

• Gas In Name Only
    replied
    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    Was Barton really tweeting anti vaxx stuff?
    He retweeted some nonsense about someone dying after getting vaxxed etc. Rovers twitter went mental over it. I've just checked and it appears to have been deleted now

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Southampton really unhappy that the Newcastle game is off, they cite the 9-0 at Man United when they had to include U23s and we're forced to play.

It's a real mess. Either call off all the games or make them all play.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X