No announcement yet.

Footballers and CoronaVirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So all Tamworth's efforts this season was for fuck all.

Comment

Our manager is pissed off. The replies are from Andrew Danylyszyn, the co-manager.
      https://twitter.com/Smudgedem/status/1243199838210215936?s=19

Comment

A Charlton fan who attended over 1000 consecutive games home and away has died

"Charlton pay tribute to dedicated fan Seb Lewis who has died aged 38" https://twitter.com/i/events/1243173503207002112

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
          Actually, some times it does stand. The application is inconsistent. To wind back many years, I remember a second tier play-off semi between Newcastle and Sunderland being abandoned a few minutes from time when Newcastle supporters invaded the pitch in any attempt to get the game called off and replayed. The Football League declared the score that stood with a few minutes to play as the final result..
          The ref took the teams back on once the “fans” were chased off the pitch. Probably for appearances sake as they played about ten secs of football then he blew and both teams legged it down the tunnel. 90 mins certainly weren’t played but the ref said he’d blown the final whistle. Both sets of players were told they wouldn’t be back out there long.
          Wish I’d been there instead of watching on teletext in Ealing totally unaware they BBC Rad2 we’re covering it live.

Comment

Actually, some times it does stand. The application is inconsistent. To wind back many years, I remember a second tier play-off semi between Newcastle and Sunderland being abandoned a few minutes from time when Newcastle supporters invaded the pitch in any attempt to get the game called off and replayed. The Football League declared the score that stood with a few minutes to play as the final result. And more recently, Blackpool's fans invaded the pitch to get a game against Huddersfield abandoned in protests against the Oystons running of their club. The score was 0-0 at the time (just into the second half) - and the result was officially recorded as 0-0 as well. See also the Battle of Brammall Lane, which was recorded as a 3-0 win to West Brom, the score at the time the ref had to abandon play because Sheffield United were down to 6 players.
            According to FIFA's rules calls such as this is are at the discretion of the competition the match takes place in. And the Football League's rules give it the power to chose what happens when a game is abandoned; be that a full replay, a replay of the remaining time from the score at the cesseation, or declaring the match a completed fixture as is. The Premier League has similar powers to declare a match as done.

Evatt is clearly wrong that this is what automatically happens once a game has passed 75 minutes, though. It's another 'rule' that someone has made up in their own mind and then convinced themselves is the reality.
            Having been there I can confirm the match was not abandoned. Merely delayed by around 20 minutes while pitch was cleared. Ref George Courtney- long suspected of batting for the other side- let it be known he would have waited all night to restart the game if necessary. Not that am condoning what happened that night. Closest came to just wrapping game in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
              It does seems unfair not to enact promotion and relegation based on a points-per-game table. I presume a factor in not doing so is an imbalance in the amount of home and away games played across a division, possibly exacerbated by some clubs losing lots of home games due to bad weather.
              Also that fixtures to date havent been fairly spread among league placings.

Comment

The problem with honouring promotions already mathematically assured is that it tends to be a one up, one down scenario. And sides in the Divisions above won't be neccesarily be in the same boat with relegated. It also does nothing for a side like South Shields, whose chairman is kicking off. Whilst it's implausible they would be caught, it isn't impossible. The FA has to make a judgement really and be consistent; either the season is done as it stands, or the season is abandoned and doesn't count. They can't give different outcomes to different clubs and be seen to be acting fairly.
                Think trying to avoid a precedent is the main thing. If season doesnt get played out there is always room for legal action and complaints whatever decision made. But calling it void at least gives authorities right to say had no choice as competition didnt finish.

Comment

To what extent will players' insurance policies affect the likelihood of them being willing to continue the season if we are not down to zero new cases? They would presumably err on the side of extreme caution rather voluntarily subject themselves to risk.

Comment

Unsurprisingly Europe's most closed country is still playing football, anyone been watching the league in Belarus?

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                      Unsurprisingly Europe's most closed country is still playing football, anyone been watching the league in Belarus?
                      I don't have access, but somehow would feel wrong were I to watch it.

Comment

To make it feel even wronger, you have to sign up with an online bookie to watch.

Comment

I make no apology for watching the Belarus football.........

Comment

Oh, I'm not saying I'm not keeping an eye on it!

Comment

BATE Borisov and Dinamo Minsk both got beaten today.

Game two of the season and BATE have lost both.

Comment

And Champions Dinamo Brest laboured to a 1-0 win at Slutsk after drawing at home in their first match against a newly promoted side. Last season's third placed team, Shakhtor Soligorsk surprisingly lost at home in week one, although should have won by a lot more than 2-0 at Gorodeya yesterday. It's exciting times for league football in Belarus !

Comment

I've had a look at the squads and I can only recognise one player, Sergey Kisilak (?), I know his name because I signed him in Championship Manager. He also played in Turkey for Gaziantepspor.

Comment

Shakhtor's Darko Bodul played for Ajax, Sparta Rotterdam and Dundee United.

BATE beat Arsenal 1-0 in the Europa League last year, Drahun scored with a header. He's scored 11 times for the national team.......

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/StanCollymore/status/1244294813681438725[/URL]

Comment

Wuhan's lockdown, which came much earlier, was more stringent and kept the case load much lower, is going to be loosened next week. That will be 11 weeks. But it's not like that will be going back to normal - they will be heading back to social distancing for an awful long while first. I haven't heard the details, but I would assume a pretty low limit on gathering numbers will be involved, potentially single figures. And then the world will watch and hope that the infection doesn't return and they don't have to go back into lockdown mode again.

As various experts are now predicting, Britain is looking at at least as long, and one would think probably rather longer as the situation was worse before the measures were in place, and compliance with even the looser rules is going to be worse in Britain than it would be in China. So yeah, there isn't a hope in hell of them completing this season before the 30th June date that was the last effective date for it not to impact on next season. They probably won't have even been able to contemplate restarting by then, in fact.

Could they be playing by August, i.e. what should be next season? Probably not that, either, not if gatherings of no more than 4 is the ongoing limit. That obviously doesn't allow a Football match to go ahead. Maybe by Christmas groups of up to 100 may be able to meet, and games restart behind closed doors. Football with crowds of people attending? August 2021. Maybe.

Comment

Former Turkey goalkeeper Rustu Recber in hospital with coronavirus

https://www.theguardian.com/football...droidApp_Gmail

Get well soon. A very underrated keeper imho.

Comment

Redbridge, no, not them, the ones who used to be sponsored by Ford Motors, have decided to crowdfund for £5,000.

Weʼre raising £5,000 to help the survival of our community club "Redbridge FC" over the coming months due to the impact felt through the Corona Virus.

Comment

Jack Grealish posted on social media urging people to stay home.
                                              Hours later he demonstrated the importance of staying home by crashing his Range Rover into 2 parked cars.

Comment

August resumption looks optimistic at this point.

Comment

Small article in the Guardian today about the Belarus league.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                                    Jack Grealish posted on social media urging people to stay home.
                                                    Hours later he demonstrated the importance of staying home by crashing his Range Rover into 2 parked cars.
                                                    I see many, including Piers Morgan whose “essential” travel includes going to work when we’re advised not to, are having a go. Do we actually know why he was out? He may have been going food shopping.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X