LEAP DAY MATCHGOING THREAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEAP DAY MATCHGOING THREAD

Apologies for the all caps, but I'm a bit nerd excited about this weekend. Opportunities to see a game on the 29th February aren't that common. This February has been a rare one with five Saturdays and I will hopefully see my 5th Saturday game of February seated in the permanent temporary stand at the Memorial Ground in Bristol watching Shrewsbury defend their penalty area against Bristol Rovers. I saw the reverse fixture it the autumn and Rovers won 4-3 with a late goal so a chance for revenge or a doleful double helping of defeat.

This will be my fourth season in a row I've been to this fixture and my third season in a row going in February

No St David's Day angle, PT?

Unusually for me, I have no sports-spectating planned for this weekend. A combination of a work thing on Friday night, my son's 13th birthday party at a "trampoline park" on Saturday afternoon and nothing accessible on Sunday means I've struck out.

There's not even anything good on at the pictures.

Comment

It's the first ever Leap Day Parkrun, and appropriately I'm hoping to do it at SKIPton. Then, as mentioned elsewhere, Hebburn Town v Plymouth Parkway in the FA Vase. Sunday will most likely be either Chorley Women or Liverpool Feds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
        No St David's Day angle, PT?
        I'm being sensitive. Not everyone is born lucky.

Comment

First trip to Dale Vince's vegan vanity project, weather permitting. Not really much at stake, so shouldn't be a classic

Comment

Old friend texted me - do I want to take a 5hr road trip Friday night to Montreal to watch the Revs in their season opener on Sat. I looooooooooooooooooooooooooove Montreal, but the missus would so pissed if I take off without her. And she has to work. Trying to think of way to make it happen....

Comment

Hereford v Altrincham for me on Saturday. I'm keen to go to Cray Wanderers v Merstham on the Sunday as well, but 'er indoors wants to go to Kew Gardens. I am also fine with that.

Comment

Cambridge v Carlisle, with post-match drinking in Norwich. One of these things will be significantly more fun than the other.

Comment

Pity you're off to Bristol, PT. You could have witnessed:

Cardiff v Brentford

Though if they repeat the performance at Luton, you won't have missed much.

Comment

Not sure I'll get to a game. Daughters playing football at 11 in the morning, then rushing them to their grandparents' in the afternoon, before off to Ladytron at Manchester in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                      Pity you're off to Bristol, PT. You could have witnessed:

Cardiff v Brentford

Though if they repeat the performance at Luton, you won't have missed much.
                      I saw that match up a couple of years ago and Neal Maupay missed the most unbelievable sitter right in front of us. Everybody around me thought it was a goal like I did. Until the ball didn't go in.

Comment

Bradford City v Plymouth. Away win, City are shite at the moment and apparently Plymouth aren't.

Comment

Not holding out much hope for the pitches of the south east, so if Walthamstow v Enfield bites the dust, I'm eyeing up one of the following:

Leverstock Green v Aylesbury Vale Dynamos
                          Barrington v Over sports
                          Hitchin Town v Peterborough Sports
                          New Bradwell St Peter v United MK
                          Letherhead v Margate
                          Sevenoaks Town v VCD
                          March Town United v Cornard

Comment

I only learnt last weekend that my girlfriend is working all day tomorrow and when I looked at fixtures, there was very little in London that took my fancy.

West Ham v Southampton caught my eye initially. Half our from home, big game and the opportunity to have a few drinks but £35 to sit in the Gods at the London Stadium turned me off that. QPR v Birmingham was a bit meh and an hour and a bit on the Central Line. I even looked at Ebbsfleet v Stockport, but I didn’t fancy an £18 return train ticket to go ten or so minutes from Stratford International to Ebbsfleet.

By this point, I began scraping the barrel and the options were an absolute mid-table nothing match between Harlow Town and Chalfont St Peter or Waltham Abbey v Westfield, which has something on it but looking at the weather today, I can’t imagine that will go ahead, so if I do decide to go out, it will be Harlow v Chalfont St Peter, but I might not bother if it’s cold/wet.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Apologies for the all caps, but I'm a bit nerd excited about this weekend. Opportunities to see a game on the 29th February aren't that common.
                              We won our only proper professional trophy on 29 February (2004) and I wonder how many (if any) other trophies have been won on that date. The fixture computer obligingly gave us a home game on 29 February this year but the telly has decided to move the game to Monday so we'll celebrate the anniversary by, in all likelihood, dropping into the relegation places.

Comment

well,i was going to go to Venezia-Cosenza but since im now not going on my spectacularly badly timed trip to Italy itll probably be a north Caledonian league game.or the pub

Comment

Going to the Reebok/Macron/university of Bolton stadium although I always like to call it burnden park just because I'm such an old fogey
                                  Accrington fans have been looking forward to this all season, more so since the 7-1 win back at our place. I confidently predict a bigger away following than the 69 who made it to Oxford on Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by shadsworth cloud View Post
                                    Going to the Reebok/Macron/university of Bolton stadium although I always like to call it burnden park just because I'm such an old fogey
                                    Accrington fans have been looking forward to this all season, more so since the 7-1 win back at our place. I confidently predict a bigger away following than the 69 who made it to Oxford on Tuesday
                                    I'll be there too. Rather worryingly, for us, we were on a far better run of form when we met last time and that collapse marked a real downturn for us. Now, we're largely awful and if you don't beat us you ought to be ashamed of yourselves!

Comment

Norwich 1-0 Leicester

Bonus match tonight, couple of ST holders couldn't go so me and my mate took up their seats at short notice. First half was bloody awful, neither team showing any level of competence. Second was livelier and after Leicester had their 'goal' ruled out by VAR for a handball that everyone in the stadium bar the ref had seen, Norwich grew bolder and eventually won it with a shot from Jamal Lewis. Had forgotten what a decent venue Carrow Road can be when the crowd are up and the lights are on.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
                                        Old friend texted me - do I want to take a 5hr road trip Friday night to Montreal to watch the Revs in their season opener on Sat. I looooooooooooooooooooooooooove Montreal, but the missus would so pissed if I take off without her. And she has to work. Trying to think of way to make it happen....
                                        Easy one. Go to an area with plenty of cctv where your balaclava-wearing friend contrives to "kidnap" you.

Comment

Rather depends when the bloke who's fixing my boiler comes round. Any time between 8am and 6pm, no sign of him yet.

Comment

Ebbsfleet United v Stockport County, depending on the pitch inspection in 10 minutes. I wonder if they still have that cafe opposite the ground that advertises a FULL ENGLLISH (sic)

Comment

I now have a spare ticket for Bristol Rovers v Shrewsbury as a mate has dropped out. Anyone interested?

Comment

Boiler Man came just after midday, so took in Oxford United 2-1 Southend United. Oxford a bit lucky to win a very scrappy game with a late Matty Taylor goal. Hoping to see a game not played in a gale next weekend.

Comment

Bristol Rovers 0 v 1 Shrewsbury Town

The much better team won. It was cold. My usual parking place has started charging. Shrewsbury wore purple. It was cold. The Cumdog got booked after being subbed for kicking the ball back into play when it hadn't actually left the pitch. He's an idiot and a legend too. It was cold.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X