The Shrovetide Matches - Midweek Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shrovetide Matches - Midweek Matchgoing

Has anyone ever been to/participated in (they seem to be one and the same) one of the traditional Shrovetide matches? I know there are similar matches dotted around the country and at other times of the year.

Anyway, I've blagged a couple of tickets to Chelsea v Bayern in the CL round of 16 tonight so will be taking my nominally Chelsea-supporting mate (though he has a season ticket with us at Wimbledon) to see his original side.

Chippenham v Concord Rangers later. This means a work half day, which is a very good thing as my office is poisonous at the moment.

Never seen or participated in any of the traditional Shrovetide matches. Too much of a cowardy custard.

Comment

Luton v Brentford

Not sure when Luton move to their new stadium but this could be my last visit to Kenilworth Road.

After three consecutive draws, we really need a win here but I've long given up predicting scores in this division.

Comment

Dundalk cruised to a 3-0 win over Cork City last night, to set up a top of the table clash with Shamrock Rovers on Friday. It should sell out the 8,000 odd capacity Tallaght Stadium.

I've never partaken in a Shrovetide schemozzle, but I did play Gaelic football in my youth and have been on the periphery of riots at football matches in four countries.

Comment

I'll tell you after half-past four as to whether or not I'm going to Wealdstone v Chelmsford City tonight...

Comment

Pitch inspection passed. Game on.

Comment

Blackpool away this evening. It's generally freezing in summer so I expect tonight will be grim. Our form and appalling record here (last win was in 1977) probably wont help.

Comment

Incidentally, I'll be mostly gawping at my phone for news from St. Andrews...

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                  Luton v Brentford

Not sure when Luton move to their new stadium but this could be my last visit to Kenilworth Road.

After three consecutive draws, we really need a win here but I've long given up predicting scores in this division.
                  It’ll be at least three full season so you’ve got a chance of another visit but I’ll be amazed if it’s next year. I’ll be there too but looking forward to the catch up in the pub more than the match after the reverse fixture earlier in the season

Comment

They're expecting a good crowd here tonight, so they've cancelled the jazzcercise. Oh, and I'm on a warning as my only other visit this season coincided with a defeat...

Comment

Stones kicking down in the first half. Always annoying.

Comment

Chelmsford appear to have squad numbers.

Comment

I'm wearing my puffa jacket for the first time this winter, and I'm bloody glad that I am...

Comment

Goal free at half time, but Wealdstone had a goal disallowed because the keeper dropped the ball. Where's VAR when you need it?

Comment

Chelmsford score in the first minute of the second half. I'm going to so banned...

Comment

Some serious shithousery from Chelmsford; exactly the sort of rubbish that Wealdstone will have to deal with if promotion is achieved.

Comment

Chelmsford's nine goes for a second yellow. And Wealdstone have less than five minutes to save this.

Comment

Wealdstone 0 Chelmsford City 1. I love Wealdstone fans. This is my fourth game in two seasons and everyone chatted with me as though I was here last week. And then remembered that the only other time they saw me this season, they lost. So that's probably my last visit to The Vale for the season. It's for the good of the club...

Comment

By the way, there was much hilarity that this game was on, whilst ground thieves Barnet's game was called off...

Comment

Chippenham Town 3 Concord Rangers 0

Being northern I forgot to factor in that it also gets cold in Wiltshire. Which was a shame as it was fucking freezing and I was a layer shy of what was required. I graded the conditions as 'nesh' once I had to start hopping around to stop frostbite.

They also talk funny down here. Says the man from Wakefield...

The game itself warmed the cockles as both teams tried to play football in tricky conditions. 1-0 at half time and Chippenham could have got more than another two in the second half. They move from 20th to 15th and are now level on points with Concord Rangers.

long way back to Canvey Island for the Beach Boys. And a fair way back to East London for me, but an excellent evening.

Comment

Working...
                                        X