Supporters who enjoy supporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supporters who enjoy supporting

Some groups of supporters really seem to enjoy the experience while others seem to have a collective meltdown.

Where i work is awash with Arsenal supporters who despite winning loads of FA cups have had a collectively rotten time for the past decade.

in contrast the mighty and glorious spurs have won FA but have generally had a great time watching our various teams of nearly men. Obv its all gone a bit pete tong since the new stadium but you get the point.

Watford fans i know seem to enjoy the experience whereas WHU fans are always seriously miserable.

Are there any groups of fans that have a longterm rep for really enjoying the ride.

I'm quite surprised to see Spurs fans listed as generally having a great time. Good to hear though, my Spurs-supporting friends and acquaintances must be outliers.

We had fun for a while, when we restarted, but the more that come along, the more moany and standard football fan whiny it has got.

Comment

Like a lot of stuff at the moment the way media has shifted and the rise of more open media like YouTube means that debate is polarised. The talk shows want controversy. The fan shows will usually track more extreme. Often that's negative. It's hard noto to hear any fan voices around the big clubs that aren't delusional or entitled. And that affects the mass fan hive mind. If it feels like everyone's solution is to sack the manager then a lot of people will start leaning towards that.

But this is true at lower levels as well. Facebook groups tend to be dominated by noisy individuals. Podcasters and tweeters (and fanzine editors of yore) are not vocalising opinions that are necessarily representative of typical fans. They shape fan opinion on a lot of stuff and fulfil their own prophecies.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
        Some groups of supporters really seem to enjoy the experience while others seem to have a collective meltdown.

Where i work is awash with Arsenal supporters who despite winning loads of FA cups have had a collectively rotten time for the past decade.

in contrast the mighty and glorious spurs have won FA but have generally had a great time watching our various teams of nearly men. Obv its all gone a bit pete tong since the new stadium but you get the point.

Watford fans i know seem to enjoy the experience whereas WHU fans are always seriously miserable.

Are there any groups of fans that have a longterm rep for really enjoying the ride.

But wouldn't you be permanently miserable if you lived in Newham?

Comment

As a counterpoint, are Everton the most miserable fans in the country?

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
            As a counterpoint, are Everton the most miserable fans in the country?
            If they are, it's only because of the opportunity to knock Wolves off their perch that has arisen in the last couple of years.

Comment

I'm sure the self entitled and vocal exist in every fan base but it's hard not to be impressed by Pompeys support, who back their side in large numbers and make a racket.

Man U, who probably have a bigger right to be self entitled than any of us, appear to have a large patient fan base. Whereas those perennial under achievers in the North East, Newcastle and Sunderland, seem to get pretty upset with each latest failing.

Comment

I sense Ipswich and Norwich fans are at least philosophical, or better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                  I sense Ipswich and Norwich fans are at least philosophical, or better.
                  There are plenty of Norwich fans who openly admit they are happy being a yo-yo side and treat any Premier visit as a bit of a jolly. I'm not necessarily one of them and think we should aim a little higher, but I appreciate we could be in a much worse state.

Newcastle United fans, while the majority I have come across are very amiable, seem permanently miserable. That may be more of a Mike Ashley effect though.

Comment

Based on people I know, and on my (long ago) experiences of attending matches and listening to people around me, Sheffield Wednesday fans are amiably grumpy, complaining about the team but in an affable way which manages to be both gruff and cheerful at the same time.

Based on my experiences on the Internet, Sheffield Wednesday fans are a bunch of whining entitled twats.

Comment

I must be going soft in my old age, but: Bristol Rovers supporters seem to be a cheery bunch, much more so than Bristol City supporters.

Mind you, it's probably because they're just happy to be allowed out once a fortnight.

Comment

I've generally found going to Bristol Rovers as an away fan quite a nice experience. A perceptive comment by a Bristol Rovers fan gave me a great story that I used as the opening for my memorial speech at my dad's funeral.

Comment

Levante fans are generally a cheery bunch and surprisingly unaffected by the relative success of their big city neighbours.

Comment

Another vote for Bristol Rovers here, along with Plymouth.
                            They always make the long trip to Scunthorpe in fairly impressive numbers, and always seem cheerful and friendly enough, although Plymouth have probably fallen out with us after Josh Morris heinously cheated/played to the whistle at the end of last season.

Cardiff also turn up in numbers from a long distance, but are generally a bunch of cunts.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              Based on people I know, and on my (long ago) experiences of attending matches and listening to people around me, Sheffield Wednesday fans are amiably grumpy, complaining about the team but in an affable way which manages to be both gruff and cheerful at the same time.

Based on my experiences on the Internet, Sheffield Wednesday fans are a bunch of whining entitled twats.
                              I think you could replace "Sheffield Wednesday" with "Football" and that would pretty much hold true. This site excepted of course.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                I'm quite surprised to see Spurs fans listed as generally having a great time. Good to hear though, my Spurs-supporting friends and acquaintances must be outliers.

We had fun for a while, when we restarted, but the more that come along, the more moany and standard football fan whiny it has got.
                                That, perhaps unintentionally, implies that it's the new supporters that are moany & whiny.

I'm not sure that's the case, firstly most of of the worst whingers in my part of the ground are the older fans. Secondly, online issues like Wally Downes' homophobic tweets seemed to bring out a lot of bluster and throwback attitudes from people insisting the club had to maintain it's "Crazy Gang" roots. There was a similarly outraged reaction recently when someone suggested we drop that pathetic "champagne/cocaine" chant.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-02-2020, 15:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  There was a similar reaction recently when someone suggested we drop that pathetic "champagne/cocaine" chant.

Is that to the tune of I Get A Kick Out Of You?

Comment

I wish, a full on 'Blazing Saddles' style number would be great on the terraces.

Comment

The direct correlation between number of seasons with a season ticket and degree of performative cynicism was most definitely a thing at Inter when we were going.

The old timers were the first to predict disaster and to quash any real hopes.

Then again, they had seen things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                        I wish, a full on 'Blazing Saddles' style number would be great on the terraces.

That's a shame. We could do with a bit more harmonising and gentle melodies at games.

Comment

As a neutral who has ticked off the top 5 English divisions, I have only once relocated for the second half due to the utter cycloptic twatheadedness of a fellow positioned near me.

Rotherham United win that honour thanks to the moaning gentleman-anus who sat on the half-way line screaming about the minutiae of the offside rule and even got told to shut up by the people close to him. I'm sure it wasn´t GO...

Comment

there's a whole thing about previous success and high standards being widely remembered but not replicated. this is what happened at arsenal after the invincibles. nothing has come close but its still widely remembered. as a consequence they have become the most miserable fans with the worst atmosphere of any stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty Trin View Post
                                              As a neutral who has ticked off the top 5 English divisions, I have only once relocated for the second half due to the utter cycloptic twatheadedness of a fellow positioned near me.

Rotherham United win that honour thanks to the moaning gentleman-anus who sat on the half-way line screaming about the minutiae of the offside rule and even got told to shut up by the people close to him. I'm sure it wasn´t GO...
                                              Nah, my shouting days were in the time of terracing...

Comment

It's perhaps a generalisation, but I find that the real moaners sit on on the sides as opposed to behind the goals. Something possibly to do with age, experience and affluence...

Comment

In my experience, Wrexham fans are either arch pessimists or naive to the point of being completely and utter unhinged.

I prefer being the former to be honest; means you're never really disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X