Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failure Cup knock out stages

Manchester United already losing...

Aaargh, Snake, please tidy up the title...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
      Manchester United already losing...
      They'd already levelled by the time you started the thread.

Comment

The delights of doing things on a phone with no WiFi...

Comment

No, don't. It's perfect.

Comment

Your lot'll be back on Thursdays before you know it...

Comment

Carlisle aren't troubling the European spots any time soon.

Comment

I thought it was some kind of Balkan reference.

Comment

I was hoping to get up to Molineux and see the Spanish team I follow - Espanyol - this evening but sadly other commitments have got in the way. They have been pathetic in La Liga most of this season, but improved a bit recently (still bottom, mind).

At least my German team has had a good evening - thumping Red Bull’s Austrian franchise.

Comment

Ajax out it seems. Was half expecting that. Injuries, sold players, heart conditions. And I think it's just starting to sink in how close they came to winning the CL. Now they're at the football equivalent of "three months after the breakup" where the initial coping mechanisms have worn off.

buying Ryan Babel was also an odd move
                    Last edited by anton pulisov; 20-02-2020, 20:02.

Comment

Getafe have just hammered Ajax 2-0. Ajax had their first shot on 86 minutes

Two Brazilian goalscorers - Deyverson who is on loan from Palmeiras (readers of last year's Libertadores thread will be familiar with his antics) and Kenedy (on loan from Chelsea).
                      Last edited by cantagalo; 20-02-2020, 20:09.

Comment

I saw Lokomotiv Knocj play at the Dell in 1983. Frank Worthington scored the opening goal, ran into Knocj's team of cheerleaders as he celebrated then never appeared for the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                          I saw Lokomotiv Knocj play at the Dell in 1983. Frank Worthington scored the opening goal, ran into Knocj's team of cheerleaders as he celebrated then never appeared for the second half.
                          I'd have believed this, but you said you were there.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

I'd have believed this, but you said you were there.
                            Went to all sorts of games in the 80s and 90s before Sky took over, as we've been over before. I've seen your lot play in two Wembley Cup Finals. Tiresome trolling. Do better.

Comment

Babel still as "mercurial" as ever then, AP?

wonder what would have happened had he gone to a club with a more attack friendly manager than fuckin Rafa.

Comment

Unpopular opinion, the Europa League is the better tournament of the two. By far.

Comment

Pretty much what one would expect from setting a pack of Wolves upon a flock of Budgies
                                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 20-02-2020, 22:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Went to all sorts of games in the 80s and 90s before Sky took over, as we've been over before. I've seen your lot play in two Wembley Cup Finals. Tiresome trolling. Do better.
                                    Imagine calling yourself the Armchair fan and getting touchy about people playing along.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post
                                      Unpopular opinion, the Europa League is the better tournament of the two. By far.
                                      Not sure about "better". The game in Bruges last night was on the level of the second tier of Uzbekistan's league. But I find it a damn sight more interesting that the reeshuffling of names of in the CL.

I think it's taken much more seriously by clubs from the continent than by English people.

Comment

Is it taken seriously in Italy? I'm really not sure. In other countries, probably yes. I suppose crowd sizes are one good way to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

Not sure about "better". The game in Bruges last night was on the level of the second tier of Uzbekistan's league. But I find it a damn sight more interesting that the reeshuffling of names of in the CL.

I think it's taken much more seriously by clubs from the continent than by English people.
                                          That’s what I meant by better, it’s far more interesting. I did a lengthy post on another forum a year or two ago showing the disparity between the clubs in the Champions League and the Europa by the scorelines in games. The amount of games that saw 3+ goal margins in the Champions League compared to its lesser cousin, was quite large.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            Babel still as "mercurial" as ever then, AP?

wonder what would have happened had he gone to a club with a more attack friendly manager than fuckin Rafa.
                                            Never understood what he was for, even when people were saying he was a great young player when he broke through at Ajax.

The club flogged him to Liverpool for €16 million (which was a lot of money back then), which I thought was a brilliant deal. Especially when you consider that we took half of that money and replaced Babel with a not so well known 20 year old Uruguayan from FC Groningen. Probably the greatest bit of business Ajax have ever done. Up there with getting loadsamoney from Inter for Andy van der Meijde.

Props to Babel for this yesterday, though:
                                            Last edited by anton pulisov; 21-02-2020, 10:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post

That’s what I meant by better, it’s far more interesting. I did a lengthy post on another forum a year or two ago showing the disparity between the clubs in the Champions League and the Europa by the scorelines in games. The amount of games that saw 3+ goal margins in the Champions League compared to its lesser cousin, was quite large.
                                              Not convinced why more interesting means better. Though guess this not what you actually meant on basis of follow up post. But anyway thought it was well established the higher the quality the less interesting it becomes. Clubs who get 3+ goal margin defeats at the very highest level are not going to do so if they drop a level.

Comment

Why did the Hun play today?

Comment

Dunno, but that's a really good result for them.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X