• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bollocks, Yaya Toure

Comment

And of course Kolo Toure.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure if disambiguation of related players is in the spirit of the thread.

Comment

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Comment

Hal Robson Kanu always gets referred to by his three names.

Comment

It's a great name

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

It's still 2 names though regardless of whether it's his surname.
                Oh yes, I wasn't disputing that. I was just trying to rationalise why it is always two names with such players – because in effect they're being used as a single double-barrelled name distinct from their actual (invisible) surnames.

Comment

Emre Can not only gets mentioned by both his names but the English language commentators always mispronounce his surname.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Jonjo is a nice name, I had an uncle jonjo, or john joseph. It's an irish name that you rarely hear now though, outside of the traveller community, where certain naming conventions have hung on. It's a relic of the time where every family had the same set of first names. Usually oldest son would be called patrick, and then, you'd have a michael, a thomas, a John, and maybe an Irish saint like colm or brendan. The girls would be called Mary, then Bridget, then Catherine, then Anne or bernadette in that order. There was no Anne in my mother's family and Paddy was the youngest, but that was pretty standard practice for the time. A good example is Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien, Or Dusty Springfield as she was also known.
                    So is it a contraction by convention or a "real name" because his name actually is "Jonjo" like all those kids called Alfie. WHICH IS SHORT FOR ALFRED AND THE SAME THING GOES FOR CHARLIES, JOES AND MILLIES!

Comment

Traditionally it's a nickname but he appears to be jonjo rather than john Joseph.

Comment

Apart from Shelvey, my only other notable Jonjos are the trainer and former jockey Jonjo O'Neill and his son and current jockey Jonjo jr.

Plus there's John-Joe O'Toole, now at Burton. As the surname suggests, he's of Irish heritage, but English born. Perhaps the registrars would only accept the name if it was spelled out properly.

Comment

Jonjoe (with an e) Kenny is now on loan to Schalke from Everton.

he was at Oxford a couple of seasons ago and looked extremely tidy.

do players whose surnames are always accompanied by the word "fucking" count here?

Comment

Different code by I noticed, in the rugby today, that Hadleigh Parkes always gets called, well, you know...

Comment

Big Sam, although I don’t think his real Christian name is “big”

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post

Ah yeah, 1am, late nineties, "Little Britain" by Dreadzone (which samples the headmaster from If... "Britain today is a powerhouse... etc"). Real Proust's madeleine for me and I'd guess others. Although obviously it didn't involve going to bed early.
                                'Australia' by the Manics, surely...?

Comment

Originally posted by Glass Half Empty View Post
                                  Bollocks, Yaya Toure
                                  Surely that's three.

Comment

Looks like I was wrong as MotD are calling Shelvey just Shelvey tonight.

Comment

St Johnstone's Drey Wright is always Drey Wright. Presumably in case you think 56-year-old manager Tommy of that ilk has decided age is only a number.

The Radio Scotland pundits can't agree on whether it's pronounced Dray Wright or Dry Wright.

Comment

Joe Linton.

Comment

Charlie Adam. Or did we do him?

Comment

Working...
                                          X