Players who always get called by two names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Players who always get called by two names

There are certain players who, for reasons I don;t understand, always get called by two names by commentators. Jadon Sancho is one for example. He's never "Sancho". Always "Jadon Sancho" (Not just by English commentators, the Romanian commentator was calling him that last night on the Dortmund game). David Silva is another one (even before Man City signed Bernardo Silva). There are quite a few players like this.

Who are the others?
    Why? Is there a rule?

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Is there a rule?
    Yes, it's called the Rule Fox.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

There is a weird affection with English commentators. If the name is "two syllable, two syllable", you are likely to hear them say it in full. Jaden Sancho, Raheem Sterling.

If the name is "two syllable, one syllable", you will always hear it spoken in full and often run together as one word. HarryKane, DannyIngs, RobbieKeane.

"One syllable, two syllables", pretty much never.

There is one commentator who is the worst for this by the way. He also slips into an "and... and... and..." as the ball is passed closer to goal. I want to say that it is Gabriel Clarke but I would probably be wrong.

Comment

Luis Enrique and Xabi Alonso. It seems inconceivable to hear them called just Enrique or Alonso.

Comment

Oh, this is one of my perennial one-sentence monologue topics. I point it out, nobody responds, eyes are rolled. You know how it goes.

Anyway ... Sammy Lee was an old favourite. Always a three-syllable name. Never one.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
              There is a weird affection with English commentators. If the name is "two syllable, two syllable", you are likely to hear them say it in full. Jaden Sancho, Raheem Sterling.

If the name is "two syllable, one syllable", you will always hear it spoken in full and often run together as one word. HarryKane, DannyIngs, RobbieKeane.

"One syllable, two syllables", pretty much never.

There is one commentator who is the worst for this by the way. He also slips into an "and... and... and..." as the ball is passed closer to goal. I want to say that it is Gabriel Clarke but I would probably be wrong.
              Gabriel Clarke never commentated. I always thought he was the best football voiceover man though, whether it was over goals highlights or features on the old Endslieigh/Nationwide League highlights shows.

Comment

Jonjo Shelvey is far more pleasing to say than Shelvey alone.

Comment

Yes, if he was Darren Shelvey his forename would barely feature.

Comment

You think that's bad - when Nottingham Forest were having a good Uefa Cup run 25-odd years ago, according to every German commentator they had a player called "Scott Gemmill, der Sohn von Archie."

Comment

Petr Cech always seemed to get his full name.

Comment

Juanfran

Comment

Originally posted by kokamoa View Post

Gabriel Clarke never commentated. I always thought he was the best football voiceover man though, whether it was over goals highlights or features on the old Endslieigh/Nationwide League highlights shows.
                          The man was weirdly starey though. Didn't matter what he was saying, his eyes were too busy drilling a hole in your heart.

Comment

Dele Ali. Back awhile, Joe Cole.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                              Petr Cech always seemed to get his full name.
                              Two-one rule. And it was PetrCech.

Comment

Originally posted by kokamoa View Post
                                Ah yeah, 1am, late nineties, "Little Britain" by Dreadzone (which samples the headmaster from If... "Britain today is a powerhouse... etc"). Real Proust's madeleine for me and I'd guess others. Although obviously it didn't involve going to bed early.

Comment

Is it more common with players whose surnames could be first names? I noticed it way back with Palace and Middlesbrough left back Dean Gordon. Or Deangordon.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                    Anyway ... Sammy Lee was an old favourite. Always a three-syllable name. Never one.
                                    Do you think that's because he had a first name for a surname so if you just said Lee, people would say 'Lee who?'

Another one from that era is Jimmy Case. Always seemed to be his full name.

In the reverse what about footballers who never seem to have any of their full names used? II don't mean Brazilians adopting one name monikers, but people like Gazza who always seems to be referred to as Gazza.

EDIT: Cross post with Nesta

Comment

Shane Long's another.

'Jonjo' is a great name, I agree. It sounds like a 'left-right' knockout punch.

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                      Dele Ali. Back awhile, Joe Cole.
                                      That was usually to differentiate from the proliferation of Coles around at the time.

It was Natalie who started insisting on that, let me tell you.

Comment

I thought it was George.

Comment

Rush goal!

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

That was usually to differentiate from the proliferation of Coles around at the time.
                                            I first noticed it before he started playing for England, alongside Ashley, used to baffle me at the time.

'Harry Kane' seems to gets said a lot too, particularly when he's playing for England - I think it's because, subliminally, the commentators think he's a talismanic 'Harry and St George' figure.

Comment

German commentators often used to say "Steven Gerrard" rather than just "Gerrard".

They'd leave out the "d" as well.

Comment

I'm sure Stan Bowles was "Stan Bowles" or "Stanley Bowles".

Comment

How did commentators use to identify Pak Doo-ik?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X