X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twenty-two years ago today

Manchester City 0 Bury 1.

How times change, eh?

I had it in my mind that Butler, cracking centre half, scored the Shakers winner that day but Google tells me it was an OG. City had someone called Van Blerk playing that day. I have zero recollection of him.

Fingers crossed your lot, in whatever guise, are an established league club again in another 22 years.

Comment

Looking at the league table at the end of 1998, it was this result in the end that kept Bury up and sent City down.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
        I had it in my mind that Butler, cracking centre half, scored the Shakers winner that day but Google tells me it was an OG. City had someone called Van Blerk playing that day. I have zero recollection of him.

Fingers crossed your lot, in whatever guise, are an established league club again in another 22 years.
        We call it Paul Butler Day so there's no doubt in our collective minds who scored. Balls to the thought of a Paul Beesley og.

It's obviously a very important game in the period covered by Things Can Only Get Better. A City fan was so disgruntled he ran onto the pitch from the Kippax and tore up his season ticket on the pitch. I found him and spoke to him about it for the book.

https://twitter.com/jamesisaburyfan/status/1228217180396736513?s=20

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GF5arqwqo

44 years ago today. A crowd of over 50000 (only once more would Burnden Park exceed that) a great cup tie and a goal from Malcolm Macdonald that would grace any game.

(Apologies for the intrusion Giggler)
          Last edited by Foot of Astaire's; 14-02-2020, 14:43.

Comment

Here's the goal. I'm giving it to Butler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBPLQhVro7k

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post

Full highlights of the game here:

Comment

27 years ago today, Bury 6-0 Carlisle happened. Somewhere I have a video tape with the goals on it, recorded from Granada TV or one of the late night goals shows.

I was in the Cemetery End watching in dismay as Bury scored all their goals in the first half. One was a penalty, which led to a dismissal (Darren Edmondson I think) - if memory doesn't deceive me, when the ref pulls out the card, in the background you can see a child in the away end clutch his head theatrically and fall to his knees - possibly even out of sight as there was quite a dip at the front of that terrace in those days. It was an epically shit day out from my point of view, but hopefully it's the sort of afternoon that gives the Bury fans some warm memories to look back on.

Comment

Oh you bet your life I’ve tweeted about that game. I noticed the lad at the front too.

[URL]https://twitter.com/jamesisaburyfan/status/1175418987469037568?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                    City had someone called Van Blerk playing that day. I have zero recollection of him.
                    Jason Van Blerk? If so, he played for Shrewsbury a few seasons later.

Comment

Brilliant! Well, not really brilliant, I was absolutely fucking livid at the time, but good to see it again.

Comment

David Adekola! I saw him score a hat-trick on my only visit to Scarborough in the League.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post

Really?? His header is nowhere near going in. It's at best parallel to the goalline, possibly actually traveling more into the field of play than anything before #14 diverts it at a right-angle into his own net (he did have to try something as the Bury player behind him on the back post probably scores if he leaves it). A cast iron own goal.

Is the City #9 in that game Niall Quinn? Whoever it is, if they had done the leaping two-footed challenge in the goalmouth scramble today it would provoked an all-in brawl and the opponents demanding a red card from the ref.

Comment

My only memory of watching Bury live was a game at Cambridge when they (i.e. Bury) had two players sent off in the first half and ended it 3-0 down. The second period, with Bury in all-out defence mode to avoid a hammering and Cambridge (who were battling relegation that season) playing cautiously as well as the three points were way more important than goal difference, was the dullest 45 minutes of Football I think I've ever seen.

Comment

This was the cover of the Argyle programme for the entire 1986/87 season taken from our 3-0 win the season before.

Kevin Hodges in the green but no idea of the Bury player he's dancing with.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                                Manchester City 0 Bury 1.

How times change, eh?
                                I loved the times when we were playing Bury and Stockport. Life felt really in balance (the fallen angel that many teams did was truly a Manchester City destiny). The winning stuff has been fun because it never happened in my lifetime, but my youth and game attending time was those days. Kind of ending around the heady days of Sean Goater.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

This was the cover of the Argyle programme for the entire 1986/87 season taken from our 3-0 win the season before.

Kevin Hodges in the green but no idea of the Bury player he's dancing with.
                                  Don’t know but he has a cracking permed mullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                    Brilliant! Well, not really brilliant, I was absolutely fucking livid at the time, but good to see it again.
                                    You're right that it was a treasured memory, hence why I was tweeting about it 26 years after the event. Tony Rigby looking 12-years-old, Alan Knill - who'd have thought he'd be assistant-managing so high up the chain? - towering above his team-mates, Ian Stevens (who my taxi driver from Lancaster to Morecambe last season told me some interesting tales about), Roger Stan. By God I loved that club.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                      David Adekola! I saw him score a hat-trick on my only visit to Scarborough in the League.
                                      You were inadvertently at a game that would be straight into the top five away games of the 90s. When the BBC ran the Cult Heroes vote in 2005 I put the case forward for Adekola because to my mind he's the very definition of one. Came from nowhere, shone incredibly brightly for a fairly short period, disappeared and never had anywhere near the same influence anywhere else.

Re-live your afternoon on the East coast and the joy of Adekola and Mike Wash's high-five here. Just look at that away end when the third goes in. Imaginbe taking away from people the capacity to feel like that:

That kit, by the way, is one of the most hideous ever produced. Every year, Paul who sat behind me at Gigg would wear his on Wear Your Old Shirt Day and I'd covet it. Over the summer, he sent me it as a thank you for how I tried to keep the club in the public eye during the difficulties. I cried when I opened it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Don’t know but he has a cracking permed mullet.
                                        I think that's John Kerr, the only one of The Forgotten Fifteen no longer with us. He died of a heart attack in 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Jason Van Blerk? If so, he played for Shrewsbury a few seasons later.
                                          He must have passed me by or the old noggin isn't what it was. Given that his name immediately makes me think of a Geordie in a Ford Transit I'm amazed I don't remember him. Was he any good for your lot?

Adekola was an odd one. He was virtually unplayable for about a fortnight and then his career nose dived. There was an article on him in wsc some years ago iirc

Comment

You were inadvertently at a game that would be straight into the top five away games of the 90s. When the BBC ran the Cult Heroes vote in 2005 I put the case forward for Adekola because to my mind he's the very definition of one. Came from nowhere, shone incredibly brightly for a fairly short period, disappeared and never had anywhere near the same influence anywhere else.

Re-live your afternoon on the East coast and the joy of Adekola and Mike Wash's high-five here. Just look at that away end when the third goes in. Imaginbe taking away from people the capacity to feel like that:

That kit, by the way, is one of the most hideous ever produced. Every year, Paul who sat behind me at Gigg would wear his on Wear Your Old Shirt Day and I'd covet it. Over the summer, he sent me it as a thank you for how I tried to keep the club in the public eye during the difficulties. I cried when I opened it.
                                            Lovely post, lovely video and so sad Giggler.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Lovely post, lovely video and so sad Giggler.
                                              Agreed.

Comment

The recycling of footballers at the lower level is very much in evidence on this thread; I've spotted at least two ex-Millers in Alan Knill and Shaun Goater.

Comment

Ian Stevens (who my taxi driver from Lancaster to Morecambe last season told me some interesting tales about).
                                                  Presumably including the one where he was stood outside a chippy with his lad out?

Lovely post about the shirt by the way.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X