No announcement yet.

Just happy to still be around; League of Ireland 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shelbourne 0 Waterford 1,that's zero from three for my predictions as I prove once again that I know SFA about football.

Comment

Shamrock Rovers made it 6 wins from six games with a 3.1 victory over Finn Harps on Saturday night, while Bohs beat Cork City 1.0 on Sunday to stay third.

Derry City play St Patrick's Athletic tonight, tomorrow night's game between Sligo Rovers and Waterford has been postponed after a Waterford player reported flu like symptoms yesterday.

Comment

Waterford have now halted all club activity after a second player reported symptoms:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...ted-for-covid/

Comment

Bohemians v Dundalk

I'm here as part of the 200 lucky ones through my P.A work, vitally important game for both sides if they want to avoid watching Shamrock Rovers sail serenely into the distance

Home win (hopefully)

St Patrick's Athletic v Finn Harps

Patrick's have been up and down as usual, following a great draw last week away to Dundalk (that they should have won) with a dismal home defeat to Derry on Tuesday. Harps battered Shelbourne on Tuesday, Shels were down to 10 men from the 12th minute, Shels won 1.0 which shows Harps scoring problem.

St Patrick's Athletic win

Comment

In other news, former English league and League of Ireland player, with Irish international brother, accused of being in massive Heroin smuggling ring

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
              In other news, former English league and League of Ireland player, with Irish international brother, accused of being in massive Heroin smuggling ring
              Former English league player is probably streching it a bit far. He doesn't even have much of a career in the LOI. His two brothers are ex Irish internationals though.
              ​​​​​​
              his ex manager was arrested from his Intermediate football team which is more interesting (to me at least). One of the top clubs outside the LOI and won the top LSL division a few years back

Both have been named on the front page of a tabloid today. There's a history though so was easy to guess before they were named

No idea how to embed the tweet so just switched it to plain text

https://twitter.com/IsFearrAnStar/st...186241/photo/1
              Last edited by fospheny; 07-08-2020, 21:57. Reason: No idea how to embed the tweet so just switched it to plain text

Comment

Bohemians 2 Dundalk 1

Bloody hell, I'd forgotten how nerve wracking watching your team live in an important game could be.

As I said in the preview, it was a game that both sides needed to win, and they went for it from the start. Bohs took the lead after 7 minutes, when winger Danny Grant headed home from full back Eoin Brosnan's cross. Bohs captain Keith Buckley got the second after 15 minutes , wrong footing Dundalk keeper Rogers with a low shot. Dundalk came more into it towards half time, and winger Duffy scored with a carbon copy of the first Bohs goal after 42 minutes.

Dundalk should have equalised straight from the kickoff in the second half, but striker Hoban hit the bar with a header, and Bohs keeper Mc Guinness made a smart save from Mountney's follow up. Both sides had decent chances to score again, but Bohs held on for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                  Bohemians 2 Dundalk 1

Bloody hell, I'd forgotten how nerve wracking watching your team live in an important game could be.

As I said in the preview, it was a game that both sides needed to win, and they went for it from the start. Bohs took the lead after 7 minutes, when winger Danny Grant headed home from full back Eoin Brosnan's cross. Bohs captain Keith Buckley got the second after 15 minutes , wrong footing Dundalk keeper Rogers with a low shot. Dundalk came more into it towards half time, and winger Duffy scored with a carbon copy of the first Bohs goal after 42 minutes.

Dundalk should have equalised straight from the kickoff in the second half, but striker Hoban hit the bar with a header, and Bohs keeper Mc Guinness made a smart save from Mountney's follow up. Both sides had decent chances to score again, but Bohs held on for the win.
                  Rather unfortunately, it appears to have been overshadowed in the sports press by a jape from the home club, where they said an injured player was out because he was "gargled"!

https://twitter.com/mandroiu10/status/1291824005360615425

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Rather unfortunately, it appears to have been overshadowed in the sports press by a jape from the home club, where they said an injured player was out because he was "gargled"!

https://twitter.com/mandroiu10/status/1291824005360615425
                    Yeah, that was stupid, a joke that wasn't supposed to go out. Needlessly pissing off your best player and prize asset was not a good move.

Comment

Shamrock Rovers come back from one down to Derry City to win 2.1 with two late goals, to keep their 100% record and extend their lead at the top to six points from Bohemians and eight from Dundalk.

Comment

Dundalk's sluggish restart continues with a 2.2 draw against Waterford. It could have been worse ,they were two down with 10 minutes to go and only equalised in the 90th minute.

That leaves them seven points behind Shamrock Rovers with one game more played, the top three are;

Shamrock Rovers P 7 Pts 21
                        Bohemian FC P 7 Pts 15
                        Dundalk P 8 Pts 14

Comment

Cork City pull off the surprise of the restart by thumping in form Sligo Rovers 3.0 .

Comment

Dundalk sack manager Vinny Perth. Not surprising after their European defeat and post lockdown league form, 0-2-1. Former Waterford manager Alan Reynolds was parachuted in as assistant manager and has to be favourite for the job.

Comment

As we turn into the final round of games, 9 to go, the league of Ireland premier division has turned predictably into a two horse race, though the identity of one of the horses is a surprise.

Up to two weeks ago, you would have said that it was a procession to the title for Shamrock Rovers, but two nil all draws, combined with Bohemians continuing their winning streak by winning 6 in a row, means that there's only two points between the two sides, who face each other in two weeks time.

Meanwhile, Dundalk's post lockdown slump continued today with a 3.1 defeat to Sligo Rovers. They are now seven points behind Bohs and nine behind Rovers. More worryingly for them, if Waterford beat Finn Harps tomorrow ( which they should) they will go level in third, and Dundalk could miss out on European football next year, an unthinkable prospect for them.

Comment

https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/1297851181696417792

Comment

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1297856949954981888

Comment

I'm just happy they're not after Keith Long.

Comment

Shamrock Rovers 1 Bohemian FC 0 at half time in what has been billed as the league decider. With 8 games to go after this, a Rovers win will put them 5 points clear, whereas a Bohs win will leave us 1 point clear.

The only goal so far came when the Bohs keeper parried a saveable shot straight to a Rovers player. The same way that they got the opener in the original game. By all accounts we were denied a stonewall penalty as well.

Not that I've seen any of this, Eir sports have exclusive rights to the game, as a customer of Eir I'm entitled to access, but after a week of trying to make sense of their website and waiting in vain to get through to their so called customer service, I'm listening on the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by fospheny View Post

Former English league player is probably streching it a bit far. He doesn't even have much of a career in the LOI. His two brothers are ex Irish internationals though.
                                        ​​​​​​
                                        his ex manager was arrested from his Intermediate football team which is more interesting (to me at least). One of the top clubs outside the LOI and won the top LSL division a few years back

Both have been named on the front page of a tabloid today. There's a history though so was easy to guess before they were named

No idea how to embed the tweet so just switched it to plain text

https://twitter.com/IsFearrAnStar/st...186241/photo/1
                                        I had to google them. Firearm offences and still in Football seems mad.

Comment

Comment

Not a penalty, says one person in Dublin.

Comment

Having lost the top of the table clash last week, Bohs make it two defeats in a row when easily beaten 0.2 at home to Waterford. With Dundalk likely to beat Shelbourne tonight ( they're 2.0 up after half an hour) , the race for 2nd place has become a lot more congested.

Speaking earlier about drug gangs and football, did I ever tell the story about when I became a " person of interest " to the police about a gangland hit?

It was 1987 or 88 and I had just come home from two weeks on holiday in Majorca. On the following Saturday I went out for a run through the park. I noticed a game playing, and as I knew one of the teams I stopped to watch for a while. I was watching and talking to the manager, and I noticed that the regular keeper wasn't playing. " yeah, he's away for the weekend " said the manager " one of the lads knows this guy,and said he'll play in goal for us, but he's shite" ,which he was.

The halftime whistle blew, I said goodbye, and headed home, so what happened afterwards I heard second hand. Apparently the manager had a go at the keeper, which ended up in a full scale shouting match and the keeper being subbed. Five minutes in to the second half, as the keeper was sitting on the side of the pitch, a gunman walked out of the trees behind him and shot him dead, the murder has never been solved.

My part in it came when I heard that the police were looking for witnesses, including a tall, suntanned man seen running in the area. I always wondered was I a silhouette with a question mark in some police file.

Comment

Meanwhile back to the football, Dundalk beat Shelbourne 3.2 and the battle for 2nd place is suddenly heating up. As it currently stands, we have;

BOHEMIANS P11 Pts 21
                                                DUNDALK P10 Pts 17
                                                WATERFORD P11 Pts 17
                                                SLIGO ROVERS P 10 Pts 15

Bohs go to Sligo next Friday in a must not lose game.

Comment

Shamrock Rovers beat Cork City 3.0 today to take another step towards the title.

Meanwhile John Sheridan has left Waterford to join Wigan as manager. In a parting shot he claimed he didn't say that the League of Ireland is a pub league, what he said was that some players made decisions like they were in a pub league. Thanks for that John, don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

Comment

Shamrock Rovers 6.1 win over Waterford yesterday virtually confirms another title is on its way to Tallaght. They are now 8 points clear of second place Bohemians with 6 to play. Bohs got back to winning ways with a vital 1.0 win away to Sligo. Dundalk remain third, 7 points behind Bohs, but their European commitments mean they have two games in hand, and have the top two at home to come. Sligo and Waterford's defeats mean they are unlikely to make European football next year.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X