The last time you got excited by a new signing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last time you got excited by a new signing

Can't remember when I felt excited to see a new signing make his debut. On Saturday former International David Cotterill is probably going to be debuting for Barry Town and I am really looking forward to seeing what impact he has.

Anyone else eager to see a new signing in action?

1979. Thijssen and Muhren.

Comment

It is a rare feeling but Djorkaeff in 2002 left us open mouthed. He's still the finest footballer I've ever seen in our shirt too.

Going further back, David Lee, in 1992. He'd always stood out against us in his Bury days but had failed to break through at Southampton. We got him on loan initially where he played so well, we were worried Saints would either put the price up or cancel any permanent deal.

Comment

There have been lots of Chelsea players signed in recent years that I've looked forward to seeing, but for real excitement nothings beats the signing of Gullit and Mark Hughes in 1995. I was so excited that I went to Gillingham to see their pre-season friendly debuts, as did many others.

Comment

Excited by increasingly fewer; disappointed with most.

Comment

Ricardo Villa and Ossie Ardiles at Spurs.

Comment

Ian Wright at Burnley.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                1979. Thijssen and Muhren.
                I was an Ipswich fan in my teens; I’d been fairly excited when Paul Mariner arrived, but the above is a great shout. And they delivered in spades.

Comment

Michael Bridges at Carlisle.

Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.

Comment

Benteke.

And that's me done forever I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
                      Ricardo Villa and Ossie Ardiles at Spurs.
                      Pretty much that.

Klinsmann's arrival - for just £2m after the '94 World Cup - was something, it must be said.

Comment

I chartered a helicopter to ensure I could see Craig Bellamy's original debut at Cardiff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          I chartered a helicopter to ensure I could see Craig Bellamy's original debut at Cardiff.

I had no idea that the sightlines at the new ground were so bad.

Comment

Odion Ighalo.

Comment

Ummm...John Hartson?

Comment

I kind of get a lob on for any new signing, out of a sense of relief but also because it's nice to have a new shiny toy that you don't hate, even if just for a while. Most transfer sagas are so drawn out and painful however that most of the joy is eroded and it's just relief I don't have constant TRANSFER RUMOURS shoved down my greedy, unthinking face. I'd have been buzzing over Bruno Fernandes in days gone by, but I was so sick of hearing about him by the time we actually signed him... still took the missus to his debut though, like the old charmer I am.

I wazzed my keks when we signed the lovely Juan Mata. I went crazy on Twitter and started turbo-tweeting shite about him having a FAC number and that, but I was drunk watching Top Gun in the middle of a symbiotic breakdown with my housemate. We ended up getting evicted, and the landlord found a dozen 2 litre bottles of piss in my housemate's room. I should have known something was wrong when he turned the back room into a recording studio despite not playing any instruments.

Signing Andy Cole was pretty good. Got home from school, 302ed it on Ceefax, and blammo, Goal King Cole was a Red. Ran round the house then updated Sensible Soccer immediately.

I got excited as fuck over Veron. I started a post on OTF and got chided by TonyC, who later apologised and said when City signed George Weah he moved his family into a giant paper mache likeness of his head somewhere outside Audenshaw and would only call them all Gorgeous George. Or something like that. My memory isn't what it was, and to be honest, I never really read anyone else's posts.

Comment

That whole "transfer rumours" thing is just so boring, I don't know how any bears it really.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                    That whole "transfer rumours" thing is just so boring, I don't know how any bears it really.
                                    I swear people prefer transfer rumours to actual football.

Comment

tbf, actual football can be kinda boring too, no?

But yeah, those people really should go find a new hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                        It is a rare feeling but Djorkaeff in 2002 left us open mouthed. He's still the finest footballer I've ever seen in our shirt too.

Going further back, David Lee, in 1992. He'd always stood out against us in his Bury days but had failed to break through at Southampton. We got him on loan initially where he played so well, we were worried Saints would either put the price up or cancel any permanent deal.
                                        I should 'like' this but in reality I was deeply pissed off that Lee signed for the Wanderers. As you rightly state, he always performed against them and for it to come so soon after he played so well in 90/91 for Bury - his two goals against Grimsby is the greatest brace you'll ever see, starting at 5.10 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VL_RPu1oCc - was a choker.

Comment

I think I gave up being excited by new signings after 2005 when I went into the first game thinking "Alan Fettis, Allan Smart and Stuart Barlow - not bad pedigrees, all three" and the season swiftly turned into a relegation battle.

I certainly wasn't excited by signings like Jermaine Pennant, Chris Kirkland and Chris Eagles, no matter what chairman and architect of Bury's downfall Stewart Day wanted me to think. He was more concerned with what Sky Sports News thought, anyway.

Comment

The sense of euphoric Shock when Ricky and Ossie signed will never be repeated. Their home debut was amazing.

Comment

After he scored 3 times in two away games at the start of the 17/18 season, having also allegedly looked good in pre-season, I was really excited about seeing Mo Eisa for Cheltenham in our first home game. He didn't disappoint either, scoring for the 3rd game in a row and going on to earn the record as our highest league scorer in a single season in the Football League.

After reading reviews from Donny fans, I have to admit that I was a little excited by seeing Alfie May at the beginning of January. Again, he's now scored 4 goals in 5 games and has been absolutely fantastic for us.

Comment

Both occasions we signed Alexei Eremenko. By miles the best player I've seen turn out for us.

Comment

Last time I was pleasantly amazed by a Spurs signing was the arrival of Edgar Davids. Seemed huge at the time - I was writing a weekly Soccernet Correspondents column and my published excitement was reciprocated by seven or eight regular commenters.

Not to say better players haven't arrived since; I'm just not as close to Prem football now (haven't been to a match since the mid-00s) so that sense of wonder and connection is long gone.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X