The kids aren't alright - midweek matchgoing w/c 3rd Feb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The kids aren't alright - midweek matchgoing w/c 3rd Feb

I'm off to watch Liverpool's kids v Shrewsbury tomorrow night. Hoping that the line up includes those with a bit more first team experience such as Kelleher, Jones, Hoever, Elliott, Williams and Chirivella, so that it's a stronger team than the one which played Villa in the league cup. Should be a decent match with a full away end to give it some atmosphere.
    Last edited by Third rate Leszno; 03-02-2020, 18:27.

Parkgate v Dronfield Town on Wednesday night in an NCEL Division One mid table tussle.

Comment

I'm also going to Liverpool v Shrewsbury. 8000 away tickets sold. Expectations high. Fully expect Salop to get embarrassed and turned over. But hey, it's Anfield. Gotta make the effort, right?

Comment

In the City of Nottingham there haven't until recently been too many alternatives to Forest and Notts but this season Basford United and Carlton Town are in the race for promotion from Tiers 7 and 8 respectively.

Tues: Basford United v Forest U23s in the Notts Senior Cup

Wed: Carlton Town v Loughborough Dynamo

Comment

Anfield for me too.

I fully expect to be told again by some random Liverpool fan that this is our biggest game ever.

Like I explained to the two youngish Liverpool lads before the home fixture, no it isn't. Aldershot 2004 is, look it up.

Comment

Colleague managed to get two tickets for Spurs v Saints on Wednesday. I'll be hoping Southampton win, as my dad is a Saints fan, but really just going there to see the ground itself

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              But hey, it's Anfield. Gotta make the effort, right?
              Too right. Hope your tickets aren't at the back of the lower tier though, it's like looking out of a post box.

If you want any pub tips, just ask. Proper blowy here this morning, though it'll have died down by kick off.

Comment

It's been over two months since I indulged in any midweek futbology (in fact, last time I did so it was still called groundhopping) so I am hopefully off to Waltham Abbey v Barking in the Isthmian South Central.

I don't really know where I'm going, it appears to be right on the M25's north-eastern corner.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-02-2020, 12:22.

Comment

Bishop's Stortford v Worthing for me tonight.

Jamie Cureton surprisingly left as manager of Bishop's Stortford today and the locals are very unhappy with that news. It could be a rugby score for the high-flying Mackerel Men (or a torrid anal hammering as per that other thread).

Comment

Bloody hell, everything seemed very rosy for Cureton and his team when he bagged a brace at Horsham a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Well I've just learnt that he is the first person to have scored a goal in all of the current top 9 divisions of English football from Premier League to Essex Senior League with Enfield. Impressive journeyman statistics.

Comment

The only two things I know about Jamie Cureton is that a) he scores goals everywhere he goes and b) he never stays very long anywhere so why him leaving should be a surprise is beyond my limited knowledge of the situation.

Comment

Well, the fact that he's also the manager makes it something of a surprise.

Comment

The owner at Stortford, Steve Smith, has re-appointed himself as manager. I believe he was joint head coach earlier this season with Cureton and his last sole tenure as manager of Stortford coincided with them dropping out of the Conference South at a rapid rate, having used something daft like 60 players that season.

Since that relegation, Stortford have managed to survive at Southern Premier League and then Isthmian Premier level with an abundance of kids from their Youth Team and often struggle to name a bench. It’s quite admirable really but also quite sad that they’ve gone from being a top half Conference South side to this in the space of a decade, via a couple of years in the North Division, the Southern Premier (where despite having played in the NLN, had their longest ever trip v Truro) and the Ryman Prem.

I fear that they’re for the drop and the slide will go on for a while.

Comment

Ah, that fills in the gaps from what I saw of Cureton's statement.

I did notice that only had three subs the other week while Horsham had a full complement of five.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                The only two things I know about Jamie Cureton is that a) he scores goals everywhere he goes and b) he never stays very long anywhere so why him leaving should be a surprise is beyond my limited knowledge of the situation.
                                Scored everywhere but bloody Orient. 1 goal in a whole season for us. Typical.

Comment

Hornchurch next for Jamie. Atmosphere flat as a pancake here, but a good open game. Could have been 2-2 at half-time, but Worthing grabbed a deflected 45th+1 minute goal. 5 subs named.

The M11 seems very high in the dark, with the lorries distracting me during slow passages of play. Pity that the household waste and recycling centre sign was more prominent than that of the football ground as I marched here from the train station earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty Trin View Post
                                    Hornchurch next for Jamie. Atmosphere flat as a pancake here, but a good open game. Could have been 2-2 at half-time, but Worthing grabbed a deflected 45th+1 minute goal. 5 subs named.

The M11 seems very high in the dark, with the lorries distracting me during slow passages of play. Pity that the household waste and recycling centre sign was more prominent than that of the football ground as I marched here from the train station earlier.
                                    Two things;

1) As you’ll know, it’s a long walk uphill to the ground. I did it once years ago on a boiling day when they played a friendly against Azerbaijani side Qabala, who were managed by Tony Adams and Deon Burton played up front.

2.) Woodside Park is better in daylight because when it’s rubbish on the pitch, you can watch plans on the ascent from Stansted.

Comment

Commiserations Shrews, that was a cruel way to lose.

Comment

I get a weekly email from the GMP about forthcoming events in town that could affect trade. Occasionally we have to do a risk assessment and send it back, which will basically contain me saying don't worry, we'll be ok. Today I got an email saying Leeds have sold* 1700 tickets for the FA Youth Cup 5th round at Old Trafford tomorrow night and to make sure we have plastic glasses available.

Fuck plastic glasses. But 1700 Leeds in Old Trafford was too good to miss, so I bought* 4 tickets. Should be a nice change, watching the pups instead of the first team.

*Tickets were free, which is nice.

Comment

I read that as GIMP at first.

Comment

About right.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                              Commiserations Shrews, that was a cruel way to lose.
                                              I was diagonally opposite to this view.

Fucking ridiculous defeat really but par for the course for Salop really.

Comment

I had to go to Bedfordshire for work yesterday, so obviously it made sense to stop off on the way home to watch Coventry Copsewood v Atherstone Town. Copsewood started well and took the lead after about half an hour. Atherstone then got going, scoring twice in the last five minutes of the first half and another two in the opening minutes of the second. Atherstone looked more likely to score any further goal, but relaxed a bit, presumably in anticipation of their big FA Vase game on Saturday.

Copsewood were formally the works team of Marconi and the football ground is just part of the sports club. The pitch is used for cricket in summer, so the barrier along one side is removable and has no hard standing, although you are allowed to stand on the grass which is not typically the case in similar circumstances at other grounds at this level.

Comment

After 12 games in 11 days in Germany it was quite nice to pop down Grenoble Road for the cup tie vs Newcastle United. My joy at the last minute equaliser was slightly tempered when I remembered that I'm on earlies and I wasn't going to be getting much sleep after eventually getting out of the car park and back to North Oxfordshire.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X