Saints and sinners - weekend match going 1st Feb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saints and sinners - weekend match going 1st Feb

Weather permitting, I'm going to watch Grange Albion v Merthyr Saints tomorrow. What are you lot up to?

Off to the seaside for Bridlington Town v Knaresborough Town. Mainly because I've got some free Northern rail tickets and I want to get them used up as I'm not sure if they'll still be valid post-nationalisation, so this is a good way to tick off one of the more distant NCEL grounds. Also free day out = more beer money.

Comment

Taking my son to Wales v Italy in the rugby for the full start of the Pivac era. Quite excited, the Six Nations is always a welcome sign we've got January out of the way.

Comment

I can't remember ever having done it before but, thanks to TV rescheduling, I should be able to make two matches on the same day.

Hull v Brentford is the lunchtime kick-off and then it's Notts v Chesterfield at 5:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          Taking my son to Wales v Italy in the rugby for the full start of the Pivac era. Quite excited, the Six Nations is always a welcome sign we've got January out of the way.
          I could google this but when is the earliest the six/five nations starteď?

Comment

Bit of Argyle against Newport for me. Going to try out the new seats in the Lower Mayflower (for those of you that have been to Home Park that's the bit to the left of the away end below the grandstand) and have been fervently checking the weather forecast all week as word has it that pretty much all the seats are open to the elements. XCWeather says no rain so all should be good.

Comment

Bolton v Tranmere tomorrow. There was quite a rivalry developed between the two clubs during the late 80s and through to the 1990s. This season saw the first meeting in around 19 or so years.

The part of me that's matured since our last battles bears them no ill will. However, accepting that we're already dead and buried, the other part of me hopes we drag these beggars down with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I could google this but when is the earliest the six/five nations starteď?
                I would imagine it's Feb 1st as it traditionally starts the first (full, I think) weekend in February.

I'm not sure if the recent introduction of occasional Friday night games has ever pushed it in to January but I can't recall one.

Comment

Indeed, it started on 1 February last season (the earliest since Italy joined, along with 2014)
                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 31-01-2020, 15:06.

Comment

Off with our four-year-old to Stevenage for a lad-and-dad trip to a bottom of the table scrap, about which I'm quite anxious.

Comment

Off to Southend for first time since god knows when. Not watched Lincoln since our defeat against Sunderland and don't have high hopes of improving our away form, despite Southend's struggles. Gonna get their early and walk down the pier. If we lose, I might go back there and throw myself off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I would imagine it's Feb 1st as it traditionally starts the first (full, I think) weekend in February.

I'm not sure if the recent introduction of occasional Friday night games has ever pushed it in to January but I can't recall one.
                        Hmm. I've now googled and in 1954 the first game was on 9 January
                        Last edited by Sporting; 31-01-2020, 15:11.

Comment

Pre-dating the adoption of the current Welsh flag (which is as old as I am)

in use from 1953 to 1959
                          Last edited by ursus arctos; 31-01-2020, 15:16.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                            Off to Southend for first time since god knows when. Not watched Lincoln since our defeat against Sunderland and don't have high hopes of improving our away form, despite Southend's struggles. Gonna get their early and walk down the pier. If we lose, I might go back there and throw myself off.
                            I would meet you for a pint except I'm playing rugby on Saturday away somewhere in deepest darkest Essex. So unless you're spending the night down here that pint will have to wait. Oh an the three points are yours btw, the easiest you'll get this season. Believe me!

Comment

I might actually get it together to go to Vale Farm and finally start my seventh decade of football watching. It depends on my knees...

Comment

You and your knees!

You're like Fletcher and his flat feet!

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Hmm. I've now googled and in 1954 the first game was on 9 January
                                  Bloody hell! A day earlier the following year too.

Edit : 1964 was Jan 4th!

Further edit : The switch to February doesn't actually look to have occurred until 1998 (with one exception in 1987), a little after professionalism came in.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-01-2020, 15:41.

Comment

Planning to go the Welsh League Cup final at Newtown tomorrow evening, with a Mid-Wales League game beforehand. Churchstoke or Kerry look the best options.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                      Bit of Argyle against Newport for me. Going to try out the new seats in the Lower Mayflower (for those of you that have been to Home Park that's the bit to the left of the away end below the grandstand) and have been fervently checking the weather forecast all week as word has it that pretty much all the seats are open to the elements. XCWeather says no rain so all should be good.
                                      I shall endeavour to wave from the away area.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                        Off to the seaside for Bridlington Town v Knaresborough Town.
                                        Stand near the dugouts - the Knaresborough manager is one of the sweariest men in football.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post

I shall endeavour to wave from the away area.
                                          If you're having a pre-match drink I'd avoid the Brittania which is the nearest pub to the ground. James Street Vaults near the railway station is a better bet and either a short taxi ride from the station or a 20 minute walk through the park.

Comment

Cheltenham at home to Morecambe tomorrow to watch my first match in 3 weeks. I've bloody missed it.

My uncle is finishing dry January as well, so he'll be in party mode which is always entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                              You and your knees!

You're like Fletcher and his flat feet!
                                              Git. Unlike Fletcher's feet which are not real, whereas my knees are all too fucking real...
                                              Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 31-01-2020, 21:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                Git. Unlike Fletcher's feet which are not real, whereas my knees are all to fucking real...

I do sympathise, mate.

One of mine isn't so great.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

If you're having a pre-match drink I'd avoid the Brittania which is the nearest pub to the ground. James Street Vaults near the railway station is a better bet and either a short taxi ride from the station or a 20 minute walk through the park.
                                                  Oh that's helpful. It'll be my first visit. Thank you for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X