Paraguayan Primera Division 2020 Apertura y Clausura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paraguayan Primera Division 2020 Apertura y Clausura

Can't find my first post of Paraguayan football, but Olimpia's won all 4 tournaments since I've arrived in July of 2018.

They won the Apertura of 2018 (I arrived right at the end of this one,) the Clausura of 2018, the Apertura of 2019, and the Clausura of 2019. The latest featuring the 4 goal superclassico of Roque vs Cerro Porteño.

What's kind of terrifying and hilarious is the mix of politics and football, as previous President Horacio Cartes rode his presidency of Club Libertad to the presidency of the country. Much as there was a schism of the Trump faction vs the Bush faction in the American Repuke party, we had the Cartistas vs Marito Benitez's crew in the right wing Colorado Party.

Near the end of his term as President, Cartes tried to change the constitution to allow multiple terms (as the country only allows one single 5-year term,) only for protests and protestors ending up burning down congress. His handpicked successor lost to Marito in the Colorado Party primary, and a massive schism between the two factions formed.

A few months ago, Benitez was seen giving President Bolsonaro of Brasil a very generous percentage of the Itaipu Dam. (For some reason, the ABC Color newspaper ends up with every single WhatsApp conversation, including Marito telling the negotiation team to accept the 70-30 deal which was originally a 55-45 deal.)

Cartes stepped in to "help" Marito, to the tune of Marito accepting Cartistas in cabinet positions. A few weeks later, Bolsonaro announced money laundering charges against Cartes, with the Brasilian courts calling him "Patrão."

In the midst of this is the current president of Olimpia. ttps://d10.ultimahora.com/trovato-crearon-una-novela-danar-la-imagen-del-olimpia-n2867190.html]Who thinks Cartes...still Vice President of Libertad...put in an anonymous tip to FIFA that he was betting on and changing the results of games in gambling houses.[/url]

Both Olimpia and Libertad are in the group stages of the Copa Libertadores, with Guarani and Cerro Porteño having to win 2 home-and-away series to make it.

Guarani has started strong. They picked up Raúl Bobadilla from Argentinos Juniors and this 20 year old Colombian kid from Independiente Medellin who looks like any nasty Premiership defender, Johan Romaña,

A team started from the Guaireña league, aptly named Guaireña, started with their best players in 2016. In only 3 years, they made it to the top.

12 de Octubre, the team of poor Salvador Cabañas, made it back to the Premier league since he was playing for them back in 2002.

As I said in the Copa Libertadores thread, Guarani has a somewhat hilarious stadium cobbled together out of different stands, and, uh, places to stand (on curved warehouse rooftops.)

So here's my pics of Guarani 1:0 Cerro Porteño, their Johan Romaña-inspired 4 game shutout streak...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

NELSON HAEDO VALDEZ VS JOHAN ROMA˜NA

Comment

Looks proper old school JV. Hope life is good for you in Paraguay, what are you doing there if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                      Hope life is good for you in Paraguay, what are you doing there if you don't mind me asking?
                      Beat me to it! One of those countries I know very little about other than Mengele living there for a few years in the 50s/60s.

The ground looks pretty full. What kind of attendances do they get?

Comment

Going well, AE, it's hilarious because it looks a lot like Philly or Newark of the 70s. Those concrete block garages with hand-painted signs, the bars with hand-painted bars, etc.

I got a contract for another year, so it's going good at work....but I'll be writing stories about last year after it's all said and done.

Guarani gets about 3-5,000 a game. Olimpia and Cerro usually get 10-20,000 a game. I've been to a few where there MAY have been a 100 of the smaller teams. Including Libertad, who only sell out when they allow Olimpia to play there or a Copa Libertadores match.

Comment

Sounds a bit like Jerome Avenue in the Bronx

Now

I assume that there are a bunch who fix cars without a garage

Comment

Oh definitely. You'll pass at least 3 broken down cars on the side in rush hour traffic getting a transmission job.

Here's a series of the time machine....Crack Years Manhattan....hubcap shops by the PATH Train....Rocky running past makeshift roofs of tarps and lumber from a torn down house...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Wow, that does indeed look very familiar

Comment

To go a bit deeper...

So HC (Honor Colorado is the Cartista wing of the Colorado Party, and happens to share the initials of Horacio Cartes,) now that the cat is out of the bag, proceeded to announce 6 new signings, including the other PY kid on Atlanta United.

HC was quick to announce Olimpia isn't champions yet.

This was after the President of Olimpia called el Patrão out. In addition to wondering if any betting-on-game-allegations were "lies or contradictions" from the 10 other presidents of clubs who asked that he be investigated.

Then an opinion piece from my favorite fearless newspaper about HC trying to buy off Marito and Bolsonaro, with the Itaipu Dam part of the deal.

Live is harder for HC, being that his partner gets a new charge against him in Brasil just about every few weeks:
                                                  https://www.abc.com.py/edicion-impresa/politica/2020/01/22/otra-imputacion-en-brasil-contra-el-hermano-del-alma

Which leads to the larger story of the Itaipu Damnation Dam.

Oh yeah, Conmebol's Headquarters are in ASU, and check out whose training facility is across the street...

Last edited by jason voorhees; 01-02-2020, 22:34.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X