Big Coat & Bovril - Midweek Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Coat & Bovril - Midweek Matchgoing

Full Football League programme on tonight, which has sort of crept up on me, and quite a full non-league one too by the look of it.

Wimbledon have their first home midweek league game of the season, good of them to save it for the coldest week of the campaign so far, with Burton Albion the visitors.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-01-2020, 14:47.

Bristol Rovers at home tonight as we look to stop a run of 4 straight defeats. Excitement abounds as to whether our 'new' signing, Will Buckley, will play. Released a fortnight ago while both parties looked for a better option, and now reunited once it dawned on both parties, there wasn't.

I might treat myself to a pie as well as my big coat and bovril.

Comment

Off to watch Ole slump over the wheel as he's shunted from behind by Pep's big blue lorry.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
        Off to watch Ole slump over the wheel as he's shunted from behind by Pep's big blue lorry.
        You never know...Oh, by the way, do away goals count double in this cup?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

You never know...Oh, by the way, do away goals count double in this cup?
          After extra time they do, yeah.

Comment

So Man Utd need three goals - at least. Maybe one does know.

Comment

I often think it’d be nice to do a few midweek games and then my girlfriend can invite a mate round for the evening (she can do this anytime but to save me from boredom, this works out win-win). I thought about saying to her to do this and to then go to Harlow Town v Chelmsford City in a friendly (it’s also free admittance) but then I think, “nah, it’s cold” and then put the idea off as I’m not completely mental.

So it’s cooking (h) for me, this evening. Mexican. Enchiladas. Think it’ll be a tough ask against a foreign mob like that and they’re a bit of an unknown in some respects (mainly because I’ve not cooked them without meat before) but I fancy a win for myself on my home ground.

Comment

I'm hearing now that in the Caribau semis there sre no away goals nor extra time.

Comment

Yeah, I just looked it up. They've changed it. Straight to penalties.

Comment

In all rounds except the final

Comment

I went to Burscough this evening. Victoria Park is in a sorry state these days, with half the ground inaccessible as it's been used for access to where their new ground is being built. One upside is that we got to see the ball bounce off a digger a couple of times.

With visitors Longridge just outside the promotion positions and Burscough battling Litherland to avoid relegation, I expected a fairly comfortable away win. This looked on the cards as Longridge dominated the early stages, taking the lead through an own goal. However a defensive mix up allowed Burscough to equalise before the interval. The second half saw Longridge having a lot of the ball but Burscough defended well and had a few decent chances of their own. It finished 1-1, which Burscough just about deserved for their defensive performance.

Comment

Lincoln 0 Portsmouth 2

The Cooler concludes his trip to England, with three 0-2 results in six days. Including Eintracht 2 Cologne 4 last month, that makes it four away victories by two goals on the trot. Take my last seven games and there have been six away victories and one draw, and in every game the away team has scored at least twice. I will accept payment to stay away from your team's ground.

It was cold tonight, and Lincoln never warmed up, never had a shot on target, and squandered the one decent chance they did create - utterly deserved victory for Portsmouth, even if they did score in the fourth minute of added time of an execrable first half, when there had only been two stoppages for injury, at most a minute each.

Comment

The bovril was the highlight of the evening for me. 2 awful sides, incapable of stringing more than 2 passes together. Freezing cold and fed up!

Comment

Wimbledon 2 Burton Albion 2

A well-deserved and useful post for The Dons in what turned out to be a very good game in the end. Behind twice from sloppily-conceded goals to a Brewers side who were very well-organised, comfortable on the ball and dominated possession, Wimbledon did well to come back both times and even have a period of dominance near the end before holding on slightly in the final few minutes.

I actually had a tea at half time instead of a Bovril. I didn't fancy adding beef extract to the aftertaste of my pre-match chips. My coat was humongous, mind.

Comment

Hull 1 Huddersfield 2. Not exactly a classic. Hull had dragged themselves back into it after being awful for an hour, but lost all momentum after a long delay when the Huddersfield keeper suffered a bad head injury. Looked nasty, the way he collapsed after the collision, not a nice thing to see. Huddersfield cranked it up in the 14 minutes time added on and deserved their winner.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                Lincoln 0 Portsmouth 2

The Cooler concludes his trip to England, with three 0-2 results in six days. Including Eintracht 2 Cologne 4 last month, that makes it four away victories by two goals on the trot. Take my last seven games and there have been six away victories and one draw, and in every game the away team has scored at least twice. I will accept payment to stay away from your team's ground.

It was cold tonight, and Lincoln never warmed up, never had a shot on target, and squandered the one decent chance they did create - utterly deserved victory for Portsmouth, even if they did score in the fourth minute of added time of an execrable first half, when there had only been two stoppages for injury, at most a minute each.
                                Watched it on iFollow. Absolutely shocking performance.

Comment

Brentford 0 Forest 1

Brentford did not play well and slumped to their eighth 1-0 defeat of the season. Again they showed themselves incapable of dealing with a team intent on breaking up the game and shithousing their way to victory. They were not helped by a weak, gullible referee and his 5th official, Ben Watson.

Comment

There are fifth officials now?

Comment

I believe that to be heavy sarcasm.

Comment

Ah, so Ben Watson is a Forest player. This I did not know, very good.

Comment

Disgraceful that he should be allowed to officiate in matches involving his own team, then

Comment

I looked up the name and when I saw his photo I said to myself "Of course, the one who's not quite Steve Sidwell!".

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                                              Brentford 0 Forest 1

Brentford did not play well and slumped to their eighth 1-0 defeat of the season. Again they showed themselves incapable of dealing with a team intent on breaking up the game and shithousing their way to victory. They were not helped by a weak, gullible referee and his 5th official, Ben Watson.
                                              I saw Forest at Hull last month; don't think I've ever witnessed a worse display of shithousery (although Fulham gave that claim a good run a couple of weeks later, to be fair), which on that occasion was also aided on its way by the referee refusing to take any action to bring it under control. From memory I think Semedo was the worst culprit, spending inordinate amounts of time lying forlornly on the ground between bursts of running around surprisingly fast for someone who had apparently suffered so many injurious blows in such a short space of time. They seem a really horrible and infuriating team this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post

I saw Forest at Hull last month; don't think I've ever witnessed a worse display of shithousery (although Fulham gave that claim a good run a couple of weeks later, to be fair), which on that occasion was also aided on its way by the referee refusing to take any action to bring it under control. From memory I think Semedo was the worst culprit, spending inordinate amounts of time lying forlornly on the ground between bursts of running around surprisingly fast for someone who had apparently suffered so many injurious blows in such a short space of time. They seem a really horrible and infuriating team this season.
                                                They are indeed a horrible team. I know as I live there and have seen them live eight times this season and on every occasion except one (ironically at home to Hull) they have ground out a result without playing particularly well. They are undeniably very good at what they do.

They employ all the dark arts. There was a first minute assault on Benrahma, Samba started time-wasting in the 5th minute and was booked for it after 20, players regularly surrounded the ref and Watson stopped shouting in his ear to feign a head injury and waste a few more minutes. Remarkably, the ref only gave 3 minutes of added time, though it has to be said that Brentford wouldn't have equalised if he'd given 30.

Now this may sound like sour grapes and to an extent I suppose it is. Forest are making the best of what they've got by bending the rules and getting away with it because they can. Oh for some match officials with the bottle to take them on.

Comment

Bath City 1 Concorde Rangers 2

After a 7-0 pasting away at league leaders Wealdstone, this twice-delayed trophy replay against mid-table Concorde Rangers - who we have already beaten comfortably at home this season - was a good chance to show that Saturday was just a bad day at the office. We are a bit down to the bare bones squad-wise and we lost one of our best players for Saturday's game so that, as well as the fact Wealdstone are flying high and back on a good winning run, seemed to explain it. However, I have heard talk that the team just didn't turn up on the day - the ones that actually did turn up , that is, rather than the ones that literally didn't turn up. There seems to be some truth in that as it all went to pot last night. Even with a ref that was giving a lot of questionable free kicks our way for soft fouls, we were pretty poor and especially prone to hitting ambitious cross field passes straight into touch. Concorde are a pretty big team and this showed when they headed in a goal from an early-ish corner. We still looked ok at this point and got a penalty from the goalie clumsily tripping one of our players. We had a three really good chances in the first half which were excellently saved by their keeper which did have the feeling of ones we would rue later on but, equally, there was confidence that we would kick on and get the win. After the break, almost literally nothing happened, a complete contrast to the exciting first half, and we were preparing ourselves for the inevitable and very much unwanted extra time. However, the Concorde number 11, who was the best player on the pitch (apart from, perhaps, their keeper), nipped in and scored. We weren't great in the first half and were pretty much dogshit in the second. Although many weren't overly worried after Saturday, I think many are now and it was noticeable that there was lot of dissent between the players on the pitch. With so many young loan players in the side, one does wonder whether there is the necessary team spirit to bounce back from this quickly enough. While we are 10 points off Wealdstone, we are also 10 points into the play-off places so we have a bit of breathing space but we have another away league match on Saturday against Dorking who are a place below us (albeit on a pretty terrible run) and need to get at least a point for this not to turn into a bit of a crisis.

Bugger.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X