Cut down on the football chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut down on the football chatter

And it's you I'm talking to lads, it's excluding women from the conversation

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...iness-51261999

I try to avoid talking about football at work, mainly because I talk about it with my family and on here and can't be doing with other people's opinions.

Comment

I'm all for this. Sick of people getting football wrong at me while I work.

Comment

Comment

"It's very easy for it to escalate from VAR talk and chat to slapping each other on the back and talking about their conquests at the weekend."

I think that's the single wrongest thing I've ever read.

Comment

Can I still nervously ask builders if they saw the game last night

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I think that's the single wrongest thing I've ever read.
              Indeed.

"They called offside on Lewandowski, although it was, what, the toe of his boot?"

"Forget Lewandowski. Good job that Sabine from the ice-cream place, who I had on Saturday night, doesn't play up front for Bayern. With her rack, she's be offside on her own six-yard line."

Try as I might, I just can't hear it happening.

Comment

I generally agree, although with the Cum Dog making such a splash yesterday, maybe the conversational distance to traverse is slightly less than normal this morning
                Last edited by Nesta; 27-01-2020, 12:52.

Comment

"Speaking of video replays, watch this on my phone..."

Comment

Can we cut down on, or disable, gifs too?

Comment

mousewheel or swipe until it disappears?

Comment

I work almost exclusively with Mackems who won't talk about football and Mags who no-one can bear hearing talk about football, so fine.

Comment

Neither my girlfriend, her parents nor any member of her family have any interest in sport and consider football to be some form of peculiar depravity.

On a Sunday they get the paper and throw the sport section away. Well they used to before I turned up. The first thing I do is to minutely analyse attendances down to National League North and South level whilst we have breakfast.

What on earth is wrong with these people?

Comment

I promise to talk less about football if the women in my office promise to talk less about Love Island.

That's not a sexist joke, either, it's just what they do.

Comment

My team can talk about whatever they want, except for fantasy football.

Only the dullest cunts on gods green earth want to talk about fantasy football. The only moderate power I have is at work so by Christ I’m going to use it primarily to prevent anyone even thinking about raising the notion of it in my presence.

Comment

My son is playing football on a scholarship at a university in the USA. His team got through to the last 32 nationally but then lost on a golden goal in a game they should have won. Try explain the golden goal concept to the missus at 2am when you’re pissed off seeing your son’s team lose. Try explaining nuclear physics to a 5 year old. I’m sure the latter would be easier.

Comment

I'm a right surly **** at work and the two things that most people know about me are that I run and I support Carlisle (there are very Carlisle fans at my work, even Middlesbrough fans briefly outnumbered us). Some people treat this situation like I'm some sort of spokesperson for the club, and I regularly get held to account in the kitchen for the weekend's result or the state of the club's finances. Given the recent history of each of those, I'm all for a football chatter ban.

I occasionally (sadly too rarely) get a Monday morning comment like "you'll be in a good mood today", which I'm genuinely baffled by until the follow up "...cos Carlisle won on Saturday?", as if I'm supposed to remember these things.

The other winner is the "did you see the match last night?" question, for which I have to do a lot of internal rolodexing to work out what month it is, what day it is, what competition might have been televised the night before, before inevitably answering "no, was it a good game?"

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                    I work almost exclusively with Mackems who won't talk about football and Mags who no-one can bear hearing talk about football, so fine.
                                    The good news for those of us in this situation (as I share your pain) is W Brom should see them off even if Oxford don’t.

My equivalent of Walt’s work question is a common occurrence the day after an Old Firm game - Scotsman? Likes his fitba? Wonder what he thought of yesterday’s stramash between Stevie G and cheeky Neil?

I always reply to the consequent query ‘See the game?’ with ‘No, I prefer football’

Comment

I’ve always found that work is the last place I’d like to talk about Football anyway. Not because I’ve loved every job I’ve ever done and think you should only discuss the mundanity of the working day, the weather and what I did at the weekend but largely because I’ve always found the people that want to talk about Football are clueless.

I happened to get seen in the local betting shop earlier this season by a bloke I work with. I’d rather not have been. He’s a Man United fan who spends his lunch gormlessly watching that bloke who sits at home videoing himself watching Man United games and commenting on them. Anyway, he now pesters me on a Friday about what “acca” (God, I hate that word) I have on for the weekend. I always have to seemingly remind him that I don’t do them and pick anything between 0-3 bets each week and back them as singles. He goes on to tell me about his eight team accumulators and always about his Both Teams To Score Bet or Over 2.5 Goals bet based on about eight games in the National League or League 2 because “they’re part time and their defences are awful”. I don’t bother telling him he’s wrong and just nod.

I also find it a struggle talking about work at Football because I don’t have Sky and I’ve grown somewhat tired of the Premier League and all the talk being about VAR on MOTD and you can just join in any conversation by saying “That VAR thing, ya? Load of rubbish”.

Comment

Basically what Jumbo says - except for the fact that I also work in Gloucester city centre meaning that our office may as well be the Rugby World head office. I know as much about rugby as they do about lower league football, so talk tends to be around how I did at darts on a Wednesday (winter) or Friday (summer) night.

Comment

I'm kind of a bit genuinely surprised that people don't get this.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                            I promise to talk less about football if the women in my office promise to talk less about Love Island.

That's not a sexist joke, either, it's just what they do.
                                            I used to have the same problem at my office, but now I've started joining in. Based on the premise that if I like something / listen to it / watch it / talk about it it is definitively no longer cool, they seem to have stopped discussing it.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                              I'm kind of a bit genuinely surprised that people don't get this.
                                              Of course we don't get it. We're a bunch of men who are all somewhere on the spectrum, who can only form relationships on the internet, and can only frame and contextualise our lives through the prism of football. It's a miracle we can even get dressed in the morning.

Comment

No offense, lads.

Comment

I'm not sure that works as much of an excuse

Comment

Working...
                                                  X