Xpert Eleven Recruitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xpert Eleven Recruitment

Haven't you sometimes looked at that gargantuan Xpert 11 / X11 thread and wondered if you're missing out? Course you have. Read on.

Or are you a former manager who fancies another go? Then skip to the final paragraphs.

Xpert Eleven is an online football manager game. You are given a team with a squad of players and you compete in a league with other OTFers, some are hardcore regulars, and some are occasional posters and some are just lurkers who don't really post on here at all and just enjoy the game. We don't mind really.

Just like in real football, you try to pick a team to beat your opponent whilst trying to nurture young talent and, with some training, squad alterations and accumulation of wealth, grow your squad of players into a successful winning team. You play in a league twice a week, and you get to choose the formation and style of play that you think best suits your team, and can buy and sell players in the transfer market and bring in new youth prospects.

It doesn't take a lot of time either. A couple of minutes a day will usually do just to check updates and set you team, though you may spend a bit more than that on the site if you want to find a new player or write a press release (which can earn you extra cash).

The game is easy to play, and the site is very simple to navigate. Also we are a welcoming bunch and are happy to help with any questions that might arise as you get used to the game play. Just try it for a season and see how you go, we won't mind if you decide that it isn't for you, though you might find it hopelessly addictive and end up running a massive private league like I and others have.

It doesn't have to cost you anything. The game is free to join, but you have the option of purchasing VIP membership if you want to take advantage of extra gizmos or increase your team portfolio.
    And joining is easy too. This is the league invite link. Just click on it, enter your details and the OTF League admin will set you up.

(thanks to Sits for the text)

Good work Etienne, thanks for the credit but I don’t think the words were mine.

Comment

They were copied from a recruitment thread you did in 2017 (with a few modifications)

Comment

I probably plagiarised it. What’s old is new, or whatever the saying is.

Comment

Anyway, XPert 11 is good fun.

Comment

Welcome aboard pebblethefish. I don't think you have played before have you?

Comment

Yes he has – Heffron Phoenix, Manic Street Teachers, Fraggle Rock, Invisible Ladies, etc.

Great to have you back on board Pebble!

It was Sean who first wrote the text at the top of the page, wasn't it? The bit about a "massive private league" is certainly common to his previous introductory spiels.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                A couple of minutes a day will usually do just to check updates and set you team, though you may spend a bit more than that on the site if you want to find a new player or write a press release (which can earn you extra cash).
                For any neophytes reading, by the way, Etienne's mention of "cash" here refers to the in-game imaginary currency, the 'econ'. You don't need to fork out actual money to play – though it is possible to go 'VIP' for a small sum, which grants you extra features and the ability to run more teams, use customised team shirts etc.

Within the game, though, each team gets a no-questions-asked infusion of 1 million econs each week to spend on buying imaginary players (the rapacious virtual agents will still take a slice, for added realism), win bonuses, training, or investing in your club's imaginary youth academy to try to get higher-quality kids coming through that way. Off the field, so to speak, managing the club basically entails balancing these few demands within the limits of your available finances. Writing the short 'press release' once each week that Etienne mentions grants you a bonus 200,000 econs to play with, which can be extremely helpful.

On-field, management consists of picking your XI and subs, selecting your preferred penalty- and freekick-takers, and setting up a few simple tactics for each game: your formation, whether to be more attacking or defensive, whether to be aggressive or cautious in the tackle (there are different refs whose tendency to dish out cards or turn a blind eye can be exploited here), whether to use pressure or long balls, and whether to attack and defend the centre, the wings or a bit of everything. Second-guessing your opponent's tactics and countering them successfully will mean your team plays better – though you can save a default lineup, kick-takers and set of tactics to make things quicker and easier.

You don't have to watch any of this play out, either: games are simulated and you can jump straight to the results twice a week, or if you've got strong nerves you can 'view' the matches via a Flash thingy that, er, flashes up text updates like an old Championship Manager game.

Come and give it a go, we'll all help with advice if needed. If anyone goes VIP I'll happily make them custom kits of their own at a stunning 55x57 pixels, like these:

Comment

Welcome to Bonhof08 and New Dresden.

Comment

Excellent news. One returning manager and one new one.

I've messaged Sam as I'm sure he's posted about playing Football Manager. Let's see if we can get a few more.

Comment

Sam did try it briefly and said he didn't get into it, but you never know.

Comment

Playing Xpert Eleven is an excellent way to live a small proportion of your life.

Comment

Feeling itch in finger...

Comment

Do it do it do it.

Comment

I should say that Great Northern Railway's manager has gone awol. I won't sack them until I know what numbers we have, but if any manager wants to take them over rather than start from scratch then that is an option too. They've got some good players.

Comment

I've re-joined X11 recently, and have just applied for a team in the OTF league under my new moniker in the game of HKS3...

Comment

That's great news.

Comment

Great to see some old familiar names coming back and some fresh meat, well done Etienne.
                                    If any of the new faces or anyone who is considering joining then don't be afraid to ask for advice, we want you to enjoy the game as much as we do.

Comment

Newbie here. New Dresden FC. Had a look around the site and its drawing me in. I've just had a friendly against my reserves and tinkered with training and tactics. When does the league start? Should I be badgering folk for more friendlies?

Comment

This is all sounding excellent. Welcome and welcome back, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                          Newbie here. New Dresden FC. Had a look around the site and its drawing me in. I've just had a friendly against my reserves and tinkered with training and tactics. When does the league start? Should I be badgering folk for more friendlies?
                                          Definitely badger folk for friendlies but possibly try and keep away from the top teams at first. Whoft Fluffopolis will cheerfully play you in a friendly and we aren't that brilliant.

Comment

Nieuwegein Kneebiters have recently sold off almost all our half-decent players and brought in talented but crap youngsters. We will also gladly play you in a friendly.

Comment

Welcome back too to Attjen/Matt J former admin of the league and whose teams hoovered up titles in the early days led by inspirational keeper Isaac Bradley. Surely this will push Incandenza over the line.
                                              Last edited by Etienne; 24-01-2020, 21:37.

Comment

Cheers. Ten minutes of searching the site and I'm non the wiser about how to arrange a friendly!

Comment

The first step is to make sure "open for friendlies" is ticked in your team settings. This menu is in the top right of your team homepage, just above the 'League' and greyed out 'Cup' buttons.

Once this option is turned on, click the 'League' button and then the 'Friendlies' option in the league menu. That will bring up a list of all the friendlies currently organised for the next match day. Below that list is a Challenge Team section, where sides with a blank date are listed.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X