Posts in Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posts in Football

according to the front page stats there have been 500555 posts in this part of the forum.

probably means that i the last dat or 2 some made the half millionth post.

do we know who that was and was it worthy.

i calculated that it was ingoldale on the 4th division thread talking about a game between Orient and Grimsby Town.

Worthy? i don't know. Emblematic? Very much so.

/nerdery

Comment

Love the nerdery.

Comment

Add 87,341 posts in the tournament archive

Comment

I thought this was going to be about literal posts in football.

I've often felt that teams hitting the post or bar is an exciting aspect of football and that they should be widened in order to encourage exciting play.

I also think that if a striker takes a shot and it comes off the bar and goes behind the goal a corner should be awarded not a goal kick.

Comment

I certainly think goals like Jay Rodriguez's last night (and Aaron Mooy's the night before that I sadly can't find video for) which ricochet in thunderously off post or bar should count double ;

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-01-2020, 19:11.

Comment

Always wondered how in the very early days of football codifying all over the world the Aussies uniquely came up with the idea of giving one sixth of a goal for a "near miss" either side.

Comment

A rare double-poster for Robert Pires playing for Marseilles V Chelsea:

I got tear-gassed at that game.
                Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 23-01-2020, 20:02.

Comment

I like the square, wooden posts last seen at Hampden Park and less notably in the field behind Wembury school.

Comment

How about flagposts and banners on poles? The following link is five or so years old so I don't know if things have changed for your club. What I do know is that Liverpool, for example, seem to have a very high density of banners in the Kop end.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/what...gue#Manchester

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                      I like the square, wooden posts last seen at Hampden Park
                      Your team wears green too, i expected some solidarity.

Comment

People on here just don't recognise how fresh that wound remains

Comment

I think I'm missing something here.

Comment

It is an article of faith among supporters of AS Saint-Etienne that Hampden's square goal posts are entirely responsible for their loss of the 1976 European Cup Final to Bayern

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                              I like the square, wooden posts last seen at Hampden Park and less notably in the field behind Wembury school.
                              Square posts are the worst. See also: Rob Rensenbrink, 1978 World Cup final.

I may not be entirely neutral in the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post

I may not be entirely neutral in the matter.
                                Holland not winning that day may potentially have saved a lot of trouble, given the volatile situation in Argentina at the time.

Comment

Somehow that doesn't make it better

Comment

Given the paucity of goals, the frequency of shots hitting the woodwork and the difference in behaviour of rebounds from round and square posts, it really is quite remarkable that that anomoly was allowed to exist at elite level for as long as it did.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      Somehow that doesn't make it better
                                      No of course not

Comment

Some years ago when I moved to New Zealand, I was living in the YHA youth hostel after recently arriving in Wellington and got chatting to a Dutch guy also staying there who was perhaps 20 years older than me. I must've mentioned something about the great 1970s Dutch players and he was amazed to realise that someone like me from a different country who wasn't born when they were reaching those World Cup finals would know about them.

I promptly reeled off the names of Johans Cruyff and Neeskens, Willy and René van de Kerkhof, Ruud Krol, Arie Haan, Johnny Rep etc., and finished by mentioning Rob Rensenbrink hitting the post in the '78 final. He was slightly stunned but delighted. I explained they were all ingrained in my memory from the age of 10, thanks to my World Cup '90 sticker album. I don't think I'd ever known until just now that it was a square post, though.

Comment

Originally posted by mirko bolesan View Post
                                          I thought this was going to be about literal posts in football.

I've often felt that teams hitting the post or bar is an exciting aspect of football and that they should be widened in order to encourage exciting play.

I also think that if a striker takes a shot and it comes off the bar and goes behind the goal a corner should be awarded not a goal kick.
                                          I thought it was going to be for people looking for football related jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                            mentioning Rob Rensenbrink hitting the post in the '78 final
                                            He just passed away. Apparently, he's still the only Dutchman ever to score a hattrick in a World Cup match.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                              I promptly reeled off the names of Johans Cruyff and Neeskens, Willy and René van de Kerkhof, Ruud Krol, Arie Haan, Johnny Rep etc., and finished by mentioning Rob Rensenbrink hitting the post in the '78 final. He was slightly stunned but delighted. I explained they were all ingrained in my memory from the age of 10, thanks to my World Cup '90 sticker album. I don't think I'd ever known until just now that it was a square post, though.
                                              Why were that lot in a 1990 sticker album?

Comment

I do like when there's a mic right next to the posts for televised games - yesterday was a good example as you could hear Adrian clatter his boots against them clear as day as Cummings was about to take the penalty.

Even better when a shot goes in off the woodwork and you hear that "thunk".

Comment

He just passed away. Apparently, he's still the only Dutchman ever to score a hattrick in a World Cup match.
                                                  Oh no! That's gutting. I'm glad I at least had the chance to pay that sort of odd tribute a couple of days ago up there.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X