No announcement yet.

2020 Copa Libertadores / 2020 Copa Sudamericana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palmeiras - Santos is apparently called "the nostalgia derby". I like that.

Comment

Just been watching the whole of Santos -Boca Juniors on BBC Iplayer. Was it live on BBC last night?

Comment

Yes it was.

Comment

Ah. Just watching Palmeiras - River Plate now which I also missed. This is a very good game but sadly I know the result. Not a great one for me either - I've always had a soft spot for River.
          Last edited by Tony C; 14-01-2021, 15:40.

Comment

It's a tough one, the River v Boca thing. Because are, essentially, a successful West Ham, which is in no one's interests. A contrived, working class image, salt of the earth, love their mum, only kill their own. And equally the idea that River Plate fans are all posh, regency dandies, still suckling champagne from their wet nurse's teat into their mid 20s is also slightly overblown. The truth is that both clubs are fucking enormous and supported by all types of everyone.

But, while both have excellent kits, and gorgeous, evocative, historic grounds, there's still something about that blue and yellow shirt and La Bombonera that will always do it for me. It's purely an aesthetic decision, but football is 50% aesthetics anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
              It's a tough one, the River v Boca thing. Because are, essentially, a successful West Ham, which is in no one's interests. A contrived, working class image, salt of the earth, love their mum, only kill their own. And equally the idea that River Plate fans are all posh, regency dandies, still suckling champagne from their wet nurse's teat into their mid 20s is also slightly overblown. The truth is that both clubs are fucking enormous and supported by all types of everyone.

But, while both have excellent kits, and gorgeous, evocative, historic grounds, there's still something about that blue and yellow shirt and La Bombonera that will always do it for me. It's purely an aesthetic decision, but football is 50% aesthetics anyway.
              Yes, I always think that River tend to come off worse in the contrived class war nonsense that surrounds the two clubs (who were both formed in the same barrio anyway) so that's why I side with them a little. The kit also sways it for me but my fond memories of Peru 1970 prevail.
              My time living in Madrid highlighted this kind of nonsense too. I taught at a fairly prestigious fee paying school attended by the children of high earners and old money living in the most elite barrios in the city - and a substantial amount of them were Atletico season ticket holders

Comment

I've never liked Boca. I think it started when I learned that Diego Maradona played over 150 games for Argentinos Juniors but was always portrayed as being a product of Boca Juniors.

I first started watching football from Argentina when it was shown on Screensports in the very early 1990s, showing a complete match on a Monday evening from the weekend. Argentinos Juniors had a left back called Carlos McAllister, and the name stood out. His son now plays for Brighton.....

Comment

That's Alexis MacAllister. He has two brothers in Argentina who play for Talleres and Argentinos Juniors.

Comment

Final's tonight at 8 GMT on the BBC red button. I'm a little disappointed that after all the fuss they made about having the rights to it, it's not on BBC2 at least.

Comment

Probable teams.

Palmeiras

​​​
                      Weverton
                      Marcos Rocha
                      Luan
                      Gustavo Gomez
                      Vina
                      Danilo
                      Ze Rafael
                      Raphael Veiga
                      Gabriel Menino
                      Rony
                      Luis Adriano

Santos

​​​​​​​
                      John
                      Para
                      Lucas Verissimo
                      Luan Peres
                      Felipe Jonatan
                      Alison
                      Diego Pituca
                      Marinho
                      Lucas Braga
                      Soteldo
                      ​​​​​​​Kaio Jorge
                      ​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

Comment

Saw both of these teams in their stadiums 2 years ago. Too bad I can't post pictures.

I'd imagine 55% chance of Santos winning by 2 goals, 45% chance of Palmeiras in penals.

Comment

Looking forward to watching Yeferson Soteldo again - he was extremely good in the semi-final second leg. A really exciting player.

Comment

Team correction: Sandry instead of Lucas Braga for Santos. More defensive midfielder for a pacy attacker.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                              Looking forward to watching Yeferson Soteldo again - he was extremely good in the semi-final second leg. A really exciting player.
                              Me too. Look out for Marinho as well. He could be a sensational match winner - or completely awful.

I'm hoping Santos do it but either team would be worthy winners. Make the most of them before the considerable amount of young talent on show departs for Europe this summer.

And it would mark 10 years since the Neymar/Ganso generation Santos won it. That makes me feel very old.

Comment

Cuca has his Virgin Mary T-shirt on again.

https://twitter.com/_gabriel2santos/...858733573?s=20

Comment

Excellent. They've got Tim Vickery in.

Comment

Behind closed doors? There's a sizeable number of people on the camera side of the Maracan?.

Comment

Vickery just likened the game to a "three course meal where the dessert is the best part".

Not sure the starter course had been delivered yet.

Comment

Palmeiras has done a great job choking the game right out of the Fortnite Flunkies.

Santos has absolutely no room, no space, no oxygen to breathe.

Comment

Here's the theme song for the favorite activity of the players so far.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E

Truly Neymar-inspired.

Comment

Hoping for a better second half.

Comment

https://twitter.com/danedwardsgoal/status/1355624383470071810

Comment

When you think about it, that Red Star Belgrade/Marseille CL final wasn't so bad was it?

Comment

It should be said that a fairly high proportion of Brazilian league games are like this.

Comment

In the future they should make both teams do a half-marathon then do a Brasilian Jiu Jitsu match for 75 minutes and then start the game. This has been great since the 75th minute.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X