• Show
Clear All

Crespometre 2.0

Comment

We went undercovid

Comment

Comment

Comment

Looks like Emmanuel Adebayor is adapting quickly to South American football.

Comment

Can't remember when there was last an 8-0 scoreline in a Libertadores match but that's what River Plate did to Binacional. São Paulo had a convincing win against LDU so all four teams in Group D are on 3 points. All Binacional need to do is win their next two home games at altitude and qualify with a record negative goal difference.

Luis Adriano got a hat-trick in their 3-1 win against Guaraní and even with Wanderlei Luxemburgo as manager, they look strong - but not as strong as Flamengo who swept aside Barcelona 3-0.

Gre-Nal clássico tonight. I predict a dire 0-0. That's invariably the way this fixture turns out.

Last edited by cantagalo; 12-03-2020, 19:09.

Comment

River - Binac was weird, but here we are in the empty stadium age, and it was basically a juiced-up 4-0 game. Binacional wasn't that bad, it's just that they gave up 8 goals.

I think 4 went in after the 78th.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post

Gre-Nal clássico tonight. I predict a dire 0-0. That's invariably the way this fixture turns out.

Well, I got the scoreline correct but I forgot to mention the eight red cards, four for each side, after a mass brawl lasting more than 10 minutes.

It ended up as 8 v 8 (2 of the reds were for subs who had joined in the fighting). As you can see, Inter went with a 4-3-0 formation, Grêmio with a more adventurous 3-2-2.

Comment

And Conmebol have suspended next week's fixtures due to Coronavirus.

Comment

Well, I got the scoreline correct but I forgot to mention the eight red cards, four for each side, after a mass brawl lasting more than 10 minutes.

It ended up as 8 v 8 (2 of the reds were for subs who had joined in the fighting). As you can see, Inter went with a 4-3-0 formation, Grêmio with a more adventurous 3-2-2.

What's the Pearl Jam banner about?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

What's the Pearl Jam banner about?
                        Just some Grêmio fans who like Pearl Jam, I think.

I have always been amazed at how popular grunge and heavy metal are in Brazil. And it gets more popular the further south you go, so not at all surprising in Porto Alegre.

Edit: This is assuming I'm correct here in describing Pearl Jam as grunge or heavy metal or some combination of the two. I'm not that familiar with their work.
                        Last edited by cantagalo; 15-03-2020, 15:24.

Comment

I'm way late to the conversation with Liverpool and Dortmund both playing on Wednesday night and not getting home from work until really late. Anyway, yes, Pearl Jam would be considered grunge but certainly have some appeal to some metal fans.

That Gremio-Internacional game was nuts. There was a little bit of afters here and there but the drama at the end seemed to just appear out of nowhere. Oddly, at least in my opinion, it was a more interesting game than the 0-0 would imply and there was more than just the brawl. Both teams had a number of chances and the fair result probably would have been a 2-2.

I agree that the empty stadia just don't suit this competition. Well, empty stadia are no good in general but this is especially a competition where the fans help make the energy. There was an interesting comment by the CONMEBOL English feed commentators during Racing-Alianza. They felt like the game was much more free-flowing because the lack of fan pressure meant the Racing players weren't engaged in a bunch of diving, lawyering with the ref, and other playing to the fans that happens. I think there was some truth to that. Guys were fouled and got right up, took the free kick, and got on with it.

Nacional won 1-0 to keep their general approach to this tournament going: give up 0 goals, score very few. And I think we're starting to see the big club find their feet: Flamengo look excellent, River with the full squad looked great (although I agree with JV that the 8-0 wasn't totally accurate but Binacional still were out of their depth), and Palmeiras looked good.

Group D is quite perplexing so far (setting aside River's B team as they focused on the league). Liga and Binacional were in control (granted at altitude) and then looked very poor.

I'm not happy about this break, but I'll use the time to watch CONMEBOL Olympics Qualifying since I only had time to watch the first 4 or 5 games before the Libertadores and Sudamericana occupied my time.

Comment

Flamengo manager Jorge Jesus has tested positive for Coronavirus.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                              An update because I know y'all were anxiously awaiting such a report: Boca dominated the game, although seemed to have less chances than River had in their game. The chocolate box was filled with famous number tens: Diego was present sitting pitch level and Riquelme was up in the box. The former made a big show of his presence and the latter looked like a statue. The number ten tradition continued as perhaps the third most recent Boca icon scored the lone goal, which was a real cracker. Every time I think Tevez must be too old for this he shines. He scored last week as well, but this was huge since Boca won the title with a 1-0 win.
                              Just catching up with this thread (I've not been on here much for a while), and this post has thrown me a bit. Danielmak, are you pretending to be oblivious, or are you actually unaware that Diego Maradona is the manager of Gimnasia (Boca's opponents in that match)?

Juan Román Riquelme's reactions at Boca home games since he became the club's vice president in December have become something of a meme, though. He's brilliant.

Comment

Can't remember when there was last an 8-0 scoreline in a Libertadores match
                                River Plate can. 2017 quarter-final. First leg: Jorge Wilstermann 3-0 River; second leg: River 8-0 Jorge Wilstermann.

The Binacional match also took place on the 50th anniversary of River's biggest ever Copa win, a 9-0 victory over Peruvian opponents in which River failed to score from the spot twice before going 1-0 up (against Binacional, fifty years later to the day, they did the same).

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Just catching up with this thread (I've not been on here much for a while), and this post has thrown me a bit. Danielmak, are you pretending to be oblivious, or are you actually unaware that Diego Maradona is the manager of Gimnasia (Boca's opponents in that match)?

Juan Román Riquelme's reactions at Boca home games since he became the club's vice president in December have become something of a meme, though. He's brilliant.
                                  First and only Gimnasia match I saw this season, so I had no clue he was managing Gimnasia. Given the show he made, I thought he was there for Boca. Haha. And I didn't pay attention to any of the pre-game other than seeing him touching the grass, kissing various Boca players, and then I watched the game.

Then there was this strange situation where Diego either hired an assistant coach that looks like a body guard (now that I know he manages [managed???] the side) or he's the only manager ever to have a body guard by his side. So, he just seemed to be at pitch level. I know from that Sinola doc that his legs are shot but he never left the seat during the match, which is not what he did in Sinola.
                                  Last edited by danielmak; 19-03-2020, 16:34.

Comment

Yeah I can understand how watching it with no context you might have thought he had a pitchside seat. I was just amazed you hadn't heard about the appointment at any point!

He is having serious problems walking, yes. From the look of him it appears he's now clean but clearly not in good health.

Comment

I think danielmak 's habit of watching games "en diferido" means he has to avoid all football-based web and media outlets and in so doing he misses all kinds of info. Just conjecture, though.

Comment

Sporting is mostly dead on. I really don't pay attention to any news about football because I am usually avoiding spoilers. If someone doesn't post about it in this thread (or the others in which I participate on OTF) or on another site with excellent conversations about Libertadores then I really won't know what's happening. Gimnasia is not in either CONMEBOL competition so they were completely off my radar. I used to have more time to watch some South American leagues but that's rare these days. If COVID-19 hadn't messed up so many league games, I probably wouldn't have had time to watch a bunch of Superliga games in the past few weeks (and I was focusing on teams I thought would be in the hunt for Libertadores spots--then I learned that qualification has changed in Argentina).

In the past, I listened to a lot of podcasts (including Hand of Pod and BBC's Football Phone-In) but then I traded out listening for reading during the commute when the stack of books got too high and there went my last source of somewhat timely news.

The other problem, my Spanish is crap. Granted the volume was low when I was watching Boca-Gimnasia.

Comment

I tried to get a closeup of Diego's throne he has in home games....any hints to finding that Sam? Or links to any stores selling them?

Comment

Here are a bunch of them (with the blue-and-white one with DM on it obviously being the Gimnasia one), jason. I doubt you'll find one for sale, though!

Comment

I have used the COVID (temporary?) cancellation of the seasons to catch up on some recent games I did not have time to watch. Argentina and Brazil qualified for the 2020 (now 2021 Tokyo) men's football Olympics. They were the two best sides, but the tournament as a whole was good. Bolivia and Peru both played very well and were unlucky not to get to the final stage of the qualifying tournament. Brazil trounced Argentina in the last match of the final round (3-0). As an FYI for folks who don't normally watch CONMEBOL U-20 tournaments, they start with two groups and then the top two from each group advance to a final round where all four play each other once. There is no knockout round.

Beyond that I've watched the Copa do Brazil final from 2019. The second leg was pretty exciting but the first less so. cantagalo covered this one in the 2019 Libertadores thread. Now I'll jump between Colombian playoff matches that have been on my DVR for a year and some older Libertadores tournaments.
                                              Last edited by danielmak; 07-04-2020, 01:44.

Comment

3 September 2020.

12 more days until 15 September 2020.

The restart to the Libertadores. Fecha 3.

Here's the pdf schedule....(are we allowed to upload pictures or links? Nothing works for me.)
                                                ​​​​​​http://www.conmebol.com/sites/defaul...convertido.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                                  Here are a bunch of them (with the blue-and-white one with DM on it obviously being the Gimnasia one), jason. I doubt you'll find one for sale, though!
                                                  https://viapais.com.ar/rosario/13852...cion-limitada/

There's no way that WOULDN'T be for sale.

Thanks for those pics. Thanks so much. Juego de Trono indeed.

Comment

We'll also need a picture of two more mascots observing a moment of silence.

​​​​​​https://www.guioteca.com/futbol-arge...o-en-maradona/

Comment

Working...
                                                    X