2020 Copa Libertadores / 2020 Copa Sudamericana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Flamengo won the Recopa with an entertaining (if bit mad) 3-0 win over IDV at the Marcana last night
    How did I forget to mention that?

That's three titles for Flamengo (Supercopa, Taça Guanabara and Recopa) and the season's barely started. I wouldn't bet against them doing a clean sweep of the rest.

Comment

Guarani goes up 3-1 on Palestino, pretty much wrapping this up.

Dopey Dum Dum Guarani manager Gus Lopez probably has the most gloriously hilarious celebration on the 3rd goal.

Comment

Brazil has had a miserable start to both tournaments with Corinthians out of the Libertadores and Fluminense, Atlético, Goiás and Fortaleza exiting the Sudamericana, perhaps a sign that Brazil's allocation of places is over-generous. Fluminense qualified for the Sudamericana in 14th place meaning only two non-relegated Série A teams missed out.

Having said that, Fortaleza, managed by Rogério Ceni, were very unfortunate not to go through against Independiente. They were the better team over the two legs but were denied by an added time own goal to lose on away goals.

Comment

2:25 in for what I would put right at the top of Greatest Manager Goal Celebration of All Time.

Guarani in the Palmeiras group. Unfortunately I'll be in Chile for a wedding that week.

Comment

Guarani looked really good in the second leg and maybe will give JV some more matches to watch depending on the stadium I assume.

Barcelona and Guarani were by far the two best sides in this last round. If their combinations of goal scoring form and defensive qualities hold, both sides could be booking spots in the knockout rounds.

Flamengo were deserved winners in that Recopa match, although the scorline flattered a bit. The match seemed tighter and the first goal was a product of a normally good IdV defense making a really bad move trying to head the ball back to the keeper only to have it bounce off the crossbar and straight to a Flamengo poacher.

I think the Liberrtadores group stages start on Tuesday, which is exciting. There are some party crashers with Tigre and Def y Justicia (in part a product of Argentina and Brazil receiving extra slots each year), Binacional (PER), and who knows what kind of quality will feature with the Venezuelan sides (or if they will need to play all of those games during the day to avoid power failures cutting out the lights). But there are also some really exciting groups that should produce some fascinating matchups. Nacional (URU) is my only horse in this race and they're in a group that on paper looks weak. On paper it should be them and Racing advancing but we'll see what kind of form Alianza shows. I haven't seen Alianza play yet this season. Estudiantes de Merida should be the bottom dweller in this group. However, as the cliche goes: we still have to play the games.
            Last edited by danielmak; 28-02-2020, 21:02.

Comment

Sudamericana is done until May when a bunch of losers drop from the Libertadores (a la Europa League). But Libertadores group games start this week. Right away we've got some nice matchups.

The neutral looking for the biggest names would probably be best served starting with LDU Quito - River Plate. Followed by the defending champs (Flamengo) away to Junior. But Athletico PR - Penarol, America de Cali's return to Libertadores action after a couple years back in the top flight (after nearly a decade?) in the second division sees them hosting Gremio, and Barcelona host Independiente del Valle are all interesting matchups. This all Ecuadoran clash should be interesting given IdV's recent continental success and Barcelona's brilliant play during the qualifiers.

For me, it's about Alianaza - Nacional on Thursday so hopefully that airs on BeIN's English station.

Finally, I'll be curious to see a couple of the Paraguayan sides (esp. now that we're getting some of JV's regular reports). Libertad were one of the sides of the 2019 competition in the group stage (esp. with a novela-like narrative surrounding the club). I'm curious to see if they return to all defense and no offense (getting by with 1-0 wins and draws) or if they play some football. Similarly, Guarani were excellent in the qualifiers and they take on Bolivar, who I've watched a bit given Fanatiz's inclusion of Bolivar TV in their package. Bolivia is obviously one of the weaker leagues but Bolivar was dominant in 2019, winning the apertura and finishing third to Jorge Wilstermann in the clausura but only 4 points behind.

Comment

Inter absolutely mopping the floor with Catolica.

Decent enough, run-of-the-mill 0-0 for an hour, until Paolo Guerrero bounced a free kick off a Catolica defender’s head in the wall, then they added two more in the next 9 minutes including one off an idiotic pass from Catolica’s keeper.

Wish the damn Santos-DyJ game was on, but not until midnight.

Comment

They've added the Libertadores to FIFA 20. Fully licenced. All the teams. This is huge news going into two days off.

Comment

https://youtu.be/T4cBimL3PQw

Comment

Conmebol was going to bar the 5 holdouts who had an exclusive with Konami from all Conmebol competitions.

Comment

And I missed a damn exciting finish with Santos-DyJ.

man.

Comment

Libertad goes up 1-0 in the 4th minute on a header from Bocanegra off a free kick.

Comment

I watched the Defensa y Justícia v Santos game and it was pretty entertaining. A very welcome result for Santos's new Portuguese coach Jesualdo who had been under some pressure (a quarter of Série A coaches have already been sacked and we're only halfway through the State Championships). It certainly wasn't easy but two substitutes, Jobson and Kaio Jorge, won it for Santos. Man of the match, as he was so many times last season, was the diminutive Venezuelan, Soteldo. I was also interested to learn the DyJ's coach is Hernan Crespo.

The other highlight for me was a superb winner by Bissoli for Athletico against Penarol.

Although it was a disastrous start for Brazilian teams in the Sudamericana, all four Brazilian teams won last night so with Palmeiras, Flamengo and São Paulo to come, there is the possibility of a clean sweep in a Libertadores opening round for the first time since 2003.
                            Last edited by cantagalo; 04-03-2020, 23:05.

Comment

Palmeiras looked fast and pretty great 2-0 at Tigre. (Great stadium that looks like it’s out of a Jodorowsky movie.)

Colo Colo looked like colon (as in the asshole, not the Sudamericana finalost) in a 2-0 loss at J Wilstermann.

Independiente Del Valle proved to be as ruthless a batch of pit viper-venomed assassins that they weee last year in their familiar attack, get a one goal lead, then add 2 on counters in a 3-0 win over the previously awesome Other Barcelona.

Guarani gets a penal in the 2nd minute for a 1-0 lead, I think Olimpia got an own goal to go up on Delfin...but was watching Guarani at the time. Flamengo goes up 1-0 on Junior.

Hot games tonight

Comment

Liga Quito 2-0 up on River Plate.

not the Para or Uruguayan one, either.

Comment

Two tremendous 3-0 wins by Ecuadorian teams last night with LDU thrashing River Plate and Independiente beating compatriots Barcelona.

Flamengo continue to impress with a 2-1 win at Junior. Everton Ribeiro scored both and is being talked of as a possible call-up by Tite where he would join Bruno Henrique and Gabriel. It would be good to see more Brazil-based players in the national team - even if they are all from Flamengo.

Palmeiras had a comfortable 2-0 win against Tigre, helped by a sending off but there were quality goals by Luis Adriano and Willian. Interesting to see Felipe Melo converted into a centre back, his place in midfield being taken by Ramires, who I was surprised to learn is still only 32.

Comment

This year's hipster team making their Libertadores debut has to be Binacional. They were only formed inn 2010 and are located at altitude in the south-east of Peru next to Lake Titicaca.

And they started off with a 2-1 win against São Paulo who should have had the game sewn up by half-time but because of awful finishing by Pablo and Anthony, only led by an Alexandre Pato goal. It was a great second half comeback by Binacional - how far the altitude was responsible, I'm not sure..

Comment

Not just "altitude"

Over 3800 metres!

Comment

Yes, higher than La Paz at only 3640m.

Comment

I'm finally around to post since I work late on Wednesday nights and at best can watch two games when I get home from work. Next week won't be fun with Liverpool and Dortmund playing in the CL on Wednesday as well. This link was posted on another forum and I figured I'd share it here. It's a really substantive preview of this competition in English. I think it's still a relevant preview even if we're getting ready to enter round 2:
                                          https://www.copalibertadores.com/en/...71326eyvwo9gts

Anyway, I'll pick up on a few games already discussed to begin. River were fielding a B team since this weekend they have a chance to win their first league title in quite some time. Amazingly, if I heard the commentators correctly, River have not won a league title since Gallardo took over the team. They've won the Copa Argentina and obviously been excellent in continental cups.

Tigres is now in the second division so I wouldn't expect much from them.

And Libertad started where they left off with last year's group stage before they melted down in the knockout stage. They've been a very fun side to watch in the last two Libertadores seasons (unlike almost every year before that haha).

For me, the big win was Nacional scoring 11 seconds into the match but then basically holding on. As with Libertad, Nacional also pick up where they left off in 2019: no punch up front and solid defense. Not very fun but I'm happy with the win, especially when the win needed to come against an Alianza side that hasn't won a Libertadores match since 2012 (???). If only Estudiantes Merida had held on for the draw, but they gave up a very late goal at home and Racing won 1-2. That leaves Nacional and Racing tied at the top of the group.

Finally, the Chilean sides continue to prove to be in bad, bad shape compared to the other sides. It's a real low water mark for Chile right now.
                                          Last edited by danielmak; 07-03-2020, 07:20.

Comment

Since this seems to be a catch-all thread for all things related to South American club football (except Paraguay), I'll share a report about Argentina (which also applies to 2021 Copa Libertadores). Sam might have more to add at some point. Argentina's use of staggered start times is probably nice for viewers who want to watch multiple matches and perhaps death to one's social life if anyone is football obsessed. But for week 23 the Superliga featured some parallel start times, including Tucuman-River and Boca-Gimnasia. River was up by one point going into this final game, so needed to basically end up with the same result as Boca to win their first title since 2014 and the first domestic league title for Gallardo. I went with Tucuman-River since it was River's title to lose and Boca's dominance during the 2000s has me liking them less. River were playing at a pace that would not be out of place in English league football, but Tucuman scored the first goal. River equalized but could not break through even though they had many chances to go ahead. Two things stood out to me: (1) River played way too wide early in the game even though there were many options for passes to open players in much more dangerous positions in central parts of thte box. (2) River started to tire about 75 minutes into the game and could not sustain that fast pace, which made defending much easier for Tucuman. By the time River finally started to move the ball more centrally in Tucuman's end, Tucuman basically had all 10 men behind the ball and River were on tired legs.

This was the second 1-1 draw in a row for River (last week they drew at home with Def y Justicia 1-1) and Boca won both games to get back in the race very late on.

If Argentina's 2021 Libertadores qualification is the same as 2020 then Boca and River are qualified but River let the title slip away. I'm going to watch the Boca-Gimnasia game now, although it certainly loses much of its luster knowing that Boca are the champions, but I never saw a score so...

Comment

An update because I know y'all were anxiously awaiting such a report: Boca dominated the game, although seemed to have less chances than River had in their game. The chocolate box was filled with famous number tens: Diego was present sitting pitch level and Riquelme was up in the box. The former made a big show of his presence and the latter looked like a statue. The number ten tradition continued as perhaps the third most recent Boca icon scored the lone goal, which was a real cracker. Every time I think Tevez must be too old for this he shines. He scored last week as well, but this was huge since Boca won the title with a 1-0 win.

Comment

Diego doesn't look so well to me.

Comment

Anyone he looks good to really needs to guard their supply

Comment

Watching Santos v Delfin. It's being played behind closed doors, not as a Coronavírus precaution but as punishment for crowd trouble back in 2018.

It's not a great experience and it would be awful if we have to finish our season watching matches in empty stadia on TV.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X