Gone through a phase: Weekend Matchgoing 18&19 January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gone through a phase: Weekend Matchgoing 18&19 January

It's the end of the Phase 1 in the Cymru Premier. Barry have secured top 6 so will be competing for European places in Phase 2. Their last match in phase 1 is against relegation candidates Carmarthen Town. On paper, Barry should win, but the "old gold" are desperate for points.

All the end of phase 1 games kick off at 5.15 on Saturday, as one game is being televised and they want them all finishing at the same time. That means I can squeeze in a "twofer" if Storm Brendan hasn't wrecked Grange Albion's pitch. Grange kick off at 2pm giving me plenty of time to get to Barry afterwards.

Really like these Cymru Premiership posts, Partick. Daliwch ati gyda'r gwaith da (courtesy of Google).

Comment

My lot are playing on the telly in London again, this time at Fulham on Friday. I'll be there and freezing by all accounts.

Comment

Question for PT - roughly when are the Phase 2 fixtures likely to be announced?

Can't go far on Saturday so Parkgate v Retford. Really ought to plan my trips a bit better as it'll be my third sighting of Retford this season.

Comment

The top 6 will only be decided on Saturday. Then there's a league break (with the MG Cup final on 25 January) so Phase 2 fixtures will probably be announced towards the end of next week.

Comment

Wimbledon v Peterborough for me.

I've not seen The Dons since New Year's Day (or any football at all for two weeks, actually) and since then they've managed to slip right back to the edge of the relegation zone after managing to pull away from it a little.

I'd hoped that Maddison would have left Posh for Charlton by the weekend (as he's both very good and incredibly obnoxious) but it looks like he's staying with them - though they would probably comfortably win without him.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 16-01-2020, 14:22.

Comment

I'm down in Littlehampton visiting my girlfriend's parents, and am getting dragged to a panto on the Saturday night. To my mind going to the panto is something to do before Christmas and not after, but it works well as I got the thumbs up to go watch Bognor Regis Town v Folkestone Invicta beforehand.

Comment

I love pantos and think that seeing them up to around Twelth Night is acceptable but agree that the Panto Window must be firmly closed by now?

Comment

Huddersfield v Brentford

Just the type of fixture where Brentford have performed poorly this season. Five away games have been lost 1-0 and in four of them an early goal has been conceded after which the home team has parked the bus. We may well get Cowleyed just as we were Rowetted at Millwall.

Forest v Luton

Midday kick off on Sunday. Luton are the worst Championship team I've seen this season and I can't see anything other than a comfortable Forest win.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                    I love pantos and think that seeing them up to around Twelth Night is acceptable but agree that the Panto Window must be firmly closed by now?
                    Agreed, although I also went to the Potted Panto at Southwark Playhouse last Saturday as part of a deal to go watch Hemel Hempstead, and that was a full audience and great fun.

Excellent set up at Hemel - cover on all four sides and a shed for the local Racing Pigeon Club within the ground behind one of the goals. Sadly, Speckled Jim and friends were not active last Saturday.

Comment

Is their clubhouse still set up for a Roman orgy, complete with food warmer :

Comment

Good lord! Sadly I didn't go in to see the splendour of ancient Hemel. I must have missed that on the Doing the 92 website non-league ground review of Vauxhall Road. Curses!

Comment

The massive top-of-the-table clash, "the one they're all talking about", etc., King's Lynn v York. Apparently the locals are fretting a bit about how damp it is down there at the moment, but I'm sure with the number of tickets sold already/size of crowd expected they'll do whatever they can to get the game on.

Comment

I'm getting train, rail replacement bus, another train and a tram to the 4th division relegation scuffle between Oldham v Carlisle. Having a drink in the Northern Quarter on the way, which will definitely be the high point of the day.

Comment

Soccer Saturday (h) for me.

I will also try and continue pushing up my Hearts team on Football Manager, I have an upcoming Scottish Cup Quarter Final against Dundee United to contend with.

Comment

Good luck, Jumbo. Hope you win.

Comment

I'm off to Europe. Well, the Isle of Wight, which is still very adventurous for me. To watch Newport IOW v Romsey. I'm there to keep one of the midfielder's girlfriend company.

Comment

Pompey at home for us tomorrow. Our hastily assembled squad played very well down there before lack of fitness caught up with them. Since then our managers press conferences have become more bizarre each week. A guy with no pressure on him and a supportive and understanding fan base, decided to have a pop at all his imaginary critics last week. This doesn't look like it will end well. For either party.

Comment

I've only made it along to watch Lewisham Borough once so far this season, so rectifying that on Saturday with a trip to Dartford to watch them play Kent Football United. Lewisham are going through a slump, KFU are rock bottom with only one win. I'm not expecting a classic.

Comment

Bath "as seen in your super soaraway Times" City at home to mid-table obscurity Hemel Hempstead and, possibly, their ludicrous change kit. A seemingly humdrum fixture with us having been beaten by them 1-0 at the same fixture last season and a 0-0 draw the season before. Having said that, three seasons ago, we beat them 6-0. No idea what is going to happen basically.

Given the Cymric nature of the thread, I just checked the South Wales Alliance and Porthcawl are back at the top of the league - albeit the second and third teams have enough games in hand to easily overtake them.

Comment

clach vs FW last night, cove-cowden today trains permitting

Comment

Fulham 1 Middlesbrough 0

Fulham scored the only goal early on with Boro looking off the pace and probably tired in their third game in seven days.. Boro were better in the second half but couldn't get on terms. Fulham thought they had scored again but it was ruled out.

A couple of points. How do Fulham get away with demolishing and rebuilding the Riverside stand when they have had the 'temporary' stand behind the goal which has needed doing for years? And I was directly behind the area for wheelchair users and they were complaining that they couldn't see because of spectators standing in front. This must happen week after week but the stewards were helpless in trying to get 20 rows of people to sit down. The barely-audible pre-recorded announcement only encouraged "stand up if blah, blah, blah" and two wheelchair users simply left. It could be solved by simply not selling seats in the two or three rows in front and roping them off.

Comment

Home to Chelsea. For some reason of all the trophy winners of recent years we have a respectable home record against them. Last season defeat was something like first one in 8 and even in Mourinho first title winning stint we drew and won the 2 SJP games.

Comment

Forgot my sunglasses and am sad about the truncated pier, but Bognor Regis Town have a very creditable set up down here, with cover on four sides, an electric scoreboard and both the football club and Union flags flying from flagpoles attached to each of the main stand stanchions. A nice touch and it's clear that they take pride in the ground.

Comment

On the way to today's game my son asked me if we had a chance of winning and I answered pretty negatively as I was sure Peterborough were pushing for automatic promotion and were the division's free-scorers.

It turned out that might have been true just before Xmas but they've since gone on a run of six games without a win in which they've scored only one goal. That was illustrated by the fact that they didn't create a chance for almost an hour while Wimbledon forced their keeper in to four good saves. The Dons finally scored on 58 minutes but after that Posh threw the kitchen sink at them, though it missed the target just like all but two of their eighteen shots over the game.

Wimbledon still needed what was probably their grittiest performance of the season so far to hold on for the win, especially in six minutes of injury time which climaxed in four consecutive corners and a dangerous free kick for the visitors.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X