Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

452 Games and then Toronto and Seattle play a final: the 2020 MLS thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jefe View Post
    Alex Mitrita might be being lent to Saudi Arabia.

The new RBNY coach is the guy currently managing Barnsley.

DC United I do not even wish to discuss.
    NYCFC get a $2M loan fee for him, RBNY paid about $2m for their manager, and Ben Olsen is finally, finally, fired.

Comment

Why now?

Comment

The consensus seems to be that he finally had had enough and went to management to say so. Chad Ashton will coach for the rest of the season, for which Steve Birnbaum is out with foot problems.

DC reunites the Higuains for $50K of allocation money, and sends $50K to KC for an international slot so Edson Flores can play now that his face has healed.

Eduardo Sebrango's kid was drafted in the NHL draft.

3 separate matches, including Colorado's 4th in a row, are called off due to covid outbreaks in teams.

Comment

Colorado has had their next three called off preemptively as well.

MLS is going to roll out a reserve league for next season at the third division level, which has led to Portland, Philly, and Orlando saying they're going to dispense with their reserve teams in the USL. MLS teams can keep their USL teams if they want, which, so far, Dallas, DC, RSL, and NYRB are going to do.

Raul Ruidaz came down with the coronavirus while on international duty, and his quarantining there and back in Seattle will cost him basically the rest of the season.

Comment

I suppose that comes down to what each team thinks it’s reserve team is for. If it’s just a place to stash guys who may be good enough to play in MLS sometimes, but probably don’t have a lot more upside, then it’s best to have them in the second division. If you’re trying to develop younger players with more upside, maybe the third division is better. That’s how it seems to work in baseball. AA is more for development than AAA.

Comment

The current guess right now is that the USL Championship will be a better test than the reserve league for the final part of development, which is why some teams are keen to keep their teams there. My very amateur viewing of highlight from both leagues this year has me perceiving a notable quality gap between the two. But, edited and 6/7 minutes of 90.

New Hampshire FC is going to join USL League 1 in 2022, 5-6000 seat stadium in a city to be determined.

Maryland Bobcats are joining NISA, playing at the Soccerplex.

LAFC loan in a defender from Memphis, FCC loan in a forward from Hoffenheim, and Orlando are signing an Ecuadorian attacker.

US Men at Wales and v. Australia at Craven Cottage next month.

Comment

NWSL Louisville's expansion draft is 11/12, all trades have to be done by 11/4 in preparation.

Orlando City's Brazilian owner wants to sell.

Brendan Aaronson is officially sold to RB Salzburg for $6M, up to $3m more in possible milestones reached, and a sell on clause.

CCL might be back in December.

Houston's getting a new logo which is intertwined letters, basically the same thing as the San Francisco Giants logo
                Last edited by jefe; 16-10-2020, 23:47.

Comment

Can we all agree that one of the most glorious things about this season is how much Atlanta sucks? I am really, really enjoying the sheer ineptitude of their performances.

But I also feel these terrible performances are somewhat wasted in an empty stadium. I need to *see* Atlanta fans having their souls crushed by losing to Nashville, Miami and (lol) Orlando.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
                    Can we all agree that one of the most glorious things about this season is how much Atlanta sucks? I am really, really enjoying the sheer ineptitude of their performances.

But I also feel these terrible performances are somewhat wasted in an empty stadium. I need to *see* Atlanta fans having their souls crushed by losing to Nashville, Miami and (lol) Orlando.
                    It is one of my only consolations this hellhole season.

Comment

Also, TFC signed an 18 year-old by the name of Ralph Priso to the first team earlier this week. His mother teaches at my daughter's elementary school. Everyone was so excited by this that the school declared today to be a "wear red" day, and so daughter proudly wore her Giovinco jersey to school this AM.

Slowly, we're getting an actual football fan culture in Canada. It's kind of exciting.

Comment

The Supporters Shield Foundation has said they will not award the supporters shield this year because reasons.

Comment

Apparently it's too hard to work out which team is the best in a COVID schedule. Despite the fact that the two teams with the highest point totals have also had the league's two toughest schedules.

Comment

And they are being badgered into rethinking, after the entire world has piled in on them.

Vancouver playing their new Serbian CB for the 12th time means they have to buy him from Vojvodina, for about $650K.

Montreal sold Saphir Taider to Saudi Arabia.

USL news: St. Louis FC is officially dead, after losing to Louisville, and management confirmed today that if Phoenix reaches the final, they will host it, courtesy of the 3-0 forfeit win they were awarded when San Diego walked off providing the necessary goal differential to win on a tiebreak over also 35 points achieving Louisville..

Comment

Phoenix today relinquished their right to host if they make the final.

Nashville and Seattle are swapping Jimmy Medranda for Handwalla Bwana

Comment

USL Championship final is Phoenix at Tampa this Saturday. League One is Omaha-Greenville.

NWSL trades: Savannah McCaskill and Yuki Nagasato and other things to Louisville in return for not getting anyone taken in the expansion draft. Explicitly, no gentleperson's promise. Crystal Dunn to Portland in a three team trade to rejoin her husband, the Timbers' trainer. They're also going to add homegrown players rules soon.

USA v Wales now officially on, the Australia London friendly is off.

Comment

USL Championship final is Phoenix at Tampa this Saturday. League One is Omaha-Greenville.

USA v Wales now officially on, the Australia London friendly is off.
                                  Well, that was the plan til Omaha got corona. Greenville awarded the title on points per game average.

It might be v Panama at Craven Cottage now. Estimated attendance: 58.

DaMarcus Beasley is part of a USL2 expansion team in 2021, Fort Wayne FC, which goes pro in 2023.

PPG will also officially settle the Western Conference playoff spots; Schellotto fired this afternoon.

Palmeiras is looking at hiring Matias Almeyda, another Brazilian club is interested in Latif Blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post

If it makes you feel better about the situation, after the 4th went in yesterday there were resounding chants of FUCK ATLANTA rolling through the whole stadium.

Comment

The USL just cancelled the Championship Final because the Rowdies have a bunch of COVID-19 cases.

Comment

Tampa and Phoenix are conference champions, Reno is the regular season champ, and there is no overall champion.

Comment

I didn’t know that Reno got anything.

The commissioner said that rescheduling it would require at least three weeks and it probably wouldn’t be any safer then. Phoenix already flew to Tampa. They’d have to do it again. Pay for lots more testing. And there’s a good chance it would have to be postponed again and again. Just not cost-effective.

Comment

I don't think they do, apart from the "prestige".

Tomorrow, SKC v Minnesota cancelled, SJ v LAFC postponed due to the rona.

Comment

Reno is the regular season champ
                                              And as of today, they are extinct. Their owner couldn't see any way to build himself a stadium locally, so he folded the team

Fresno might return, in the 3rd division, possibly even in 2021.

NWSL protected lists for the Louisville expansion draft are out.

Chicago NISA team top start play in fall 2021.

RSL has a player test positive, as does SKC, and their TV guy as well.

Comment

#fightforphilly

Comment

CCL will be finished off in early December at Orlando's stadium.

Dome Torrent fired at Flamengo after 10 games.

Hibernian have some sort of partnership with Charleston Battery. 2 Battery players go on trial there now; along with a FC Dallas academy kid already there; Hibs will send over a couple players to Charleston next season.

Cincinnati purged half their roster already.

Comment

C.J Sapong was released by Chicago.

Louisville's NWSL expansion draft picks were generally deemed...interesting. The main takeaway was the last two picks, the rights to Christen Press and Tobin Heath.

2021 MLS schedule for now will start at the usual time, in March.

USL and Puma have a 3 year licensing and sponsorship deal.

Rochester is getting a NISA team too, in fall 2021.

Austin expansion draft is December 15th; anyone who lost a player in the Miami/Cincy one is safe here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X