• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haaland and Barratt: Winter Transfer Window

Erling Haaland has joined Dortmund.

Smart move

Comment

Ooh, the rotters! Weren't they meant to wait until January? Oh, Minamino, yeah, okay then.

Comment

So Haaland signing for Man United was just Red Bull.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Smart move
          Very smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
            Ooh, the rotters! Weren't they meant to wait until January? Oh, Minamino, yeah, okay then.
            Because it's all about Liverpool...

Comment

Alfie has probably made more money from this than from his entire footballing career. It's an interesting connundrum. you get an offer from one of the biggest clubs in the world, who offer to make you their first choice centre forward for the next decade and promise to build the team of the future around you, it's a manager who has signed you before, and worked with you before, was an international teammate of your father, and with a few lessons would probably be able to communicate with you in your native Leeds. With the passage of time, and renewal of contracts you would earn spiralling amounts of money, far in excess of what is considered a lot today, and you could get on with your career. Sounds good. (Man utd offered him a starting contract of 200k a week)

But what's in that for Mino? and as it turns out, What's in that for Daddy? Man utd put out a statement saying that they basically couldn't do the deal because it would have involved a relatively low sell on clause, and shares of the players value for the agent and the father. There are other players. There are always other players. Given that mino has his hooks into pogba, fosu mensah, and also Romero. there must be people at old trafford hoping that Mino eats one Pannetone too many this christmas.

Personally I don't particularly mind all that much. I seem to be one of a minority of man utd fans who thinks that Anthony Martial is quite good, and there's also mason greenwood bubbling along nicely. maybe people will be less eager to sign a new striker by the time the season ends.
              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 29-12-2019, 15:45.

Comment

After Dortmund it will obviously be Bayern.

Comment

There'll surely be plenty of suitors for Tunde Owolabi before the window closes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                    .I seem to be one of a minority of man utd fans who thinks that Anthony Martial is quite good
                    So do I. 10 goals in 19 games is nothing to scoff at.

Comment

It's 10 goals and 3 assists in slightly over 16 full games worth of minutes. Given that he was out injured for a big chunk of the season, and hasn't really had the most consistent or stable midfield behind him, that's not really that bad,.

Comment

Chelsea have signed a 16-year-old Norwegian striker. I mean, I'm loving Lampard's youthquake but this is getting ridiculous.

Michael Hector's on his way to Fulham for £8m.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                          It's 10 goals and 3 assists in slightly over 16 full games worth of minutes. Given that he was out injured for a big chunk of the season, and hasn't really had the most consistent or stable midfield behind him, that's not really that bad,.
                          Funny thing about Martial is that I quite like him but I have two close friends with OT season tickets (who I know independently of each other) that really don't. The often used reasons for this suggests he's lazy, doesn't work hard enough off the ball and visibly sulks when things don't go his way. Possibly having the ultra - committed Rashford alongside may not help in this respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

So do I. 10 goals in 19 games is nothing to scoff at.
                            The issue is application not ability. No one doubts how good he is, but there are times when he treats the game with as much enthusiasm as I used to treat double economics on a Friday afternoon. He's gone from hiding behind his fullback to hiding behind his centreback. It's doubly frustrating when you see what he's capable of in matches like last night.

I'm not too bothered by this. All the points Berbs made, plus I hated his Dad so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

Funny thing about Martial is that I quite like him but I have two close friends with OT season tickets (who I know independently of each other) that really don't. The often used reasons for this suggests he's lazy, doesn't work hard enough off the ball and visibly sulks when things don't go his way. Possibly having the ultra - committed Rashford alongside may not help in this respect.
                              https://twitter.com/utd_Lewis/status...725690374?s=09

Comment

After Dortmund it will obviously be Bayern.
                                Oh no, it'll be Real Barcelona or big EPL club after that., Haaland's people have long said that they are treating the Bundesliga as a preparation ground for bigger things.

Comment

His "people"...Are there any current or recent footballers of note who don't/didn't have agents and do/did their own negotiations?

Comment

His "people"...Are there any current or recent footballers of note who don't/didn't have agents and do/did their own negotiations?
                                    Scholes didn't.

Comment

Any research on whether he did better or worse financially as a result?

Comment

There are so many variables involved that it is virtually impossible to answer that.

That said, it is certainly easier to pull off if (like Scholes) you are not particularly interested in changing clubs.

And I while I appreciate my professional bias, a competent agency is almost certain to produce better outcomes than a Neymaresque entourage.

Comment

Is there actually a Barratt likely to be transferred in January too or am I hoping for too much?

Comment

Originally posted by Ek weet nie View Post
                                            Any research on whether he did better or worse financially as a result?
                                            If he was primarily motivated by financial gain, he wouldn't have been at man utd. at the start of 2000 he would have been earning £26k a week max, as that was man utd's wage ceiling. He would have earned more at virtually every other club in the premier league if he were to get in a time machine and go back to 1996. He would have jumped up to £60-75k a week not long after that, just because they all got that rise, after Roy Keane (also no agent) stared them down and threatened to go on a bosman to bayern munich, if they didn't stop fucking him around. One of the big factors behind Scholes's longevity was that he was never earning so much at his peak that no-one ever thought he's getting paid too much for what he does. He was never remotely interested in doing commercial work. It does seem however that he likes a flutter, and that may be problematic, which is why you're seeing him on TV, and that is a sorry fucking tale. I was watching him the other night on BT sport, and It was a deeply uncomfortable experience. He is not in a good place, and he's fifteen or sixteen stone now. Maybe it's like this for any randomly selected group of six footballers, but 'the class of 92' do not seem to be very happy at all.
                                            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 30-12-2019, 02:32.

Comment

Hmmm, Beckham seems to have done OK for himself. GNev never seemed a happy-go-lucky sorta fellow, but he's a leading pundit now; Nicky Butt seems to be content with his backroom lot... The Class of '92 might not become motivational speakers for attaining personal bliss, but none of them are Gascoignesque cautionary takes either.

Comment

Keane had Michael Kennedy negotiating on his behalf. Whilst not a super agent, he was certainly a competent agent for him.

​​​​Research was too formal a term but I would be curious as to how he fared compared to the other long serving members at Man Utd. Did the club take advantage? Was there information asymmetry or would he have known what he was worth from dressing room chats etc.?

Scholes becoming a pundit has been one of the more surprising things in the football world in the last decade.

Comment

Back on topic, whither Mandzuckic? Wasn't he touted as a short term option for half the Premier league?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X