Your longest gap between visits to a ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your longest gap between visits to a ground

Just realised that my trip to see Linfield v Dundalk on Friday night was my first visit to Windsor Park in just over 23 years. So what's the longest you've gone between visits to the same ground, or between seeing the same side twice?

If we are talking matches then probably Stade de France: 2004 and 2018.

If only looking inside the stadium counts: Lansdowne Road 1985 and 2015.

Comment

My trip to watch Spurs at Crystal Palace in February last year represented my first visit to Selhurst Park since 1993 (twenty-five years previously) - which is faintly ridiculous given that I live just 4.5 miles away.

Comment

Selhurst is probably my record-holder too - 1999 for a Wimbledon-Sunderland League Cup game, followed by Palace-Cardiff in the league a dozen years later.

Comment

My first away game was at Norwich in 1968 and I didn't go there again until 1992. But my best is Preston's Deepdale which I first visited in 1974 and not again until 2009, 35 years later. That will be broken if I ever go to Turf Moor or Goodison Park again. I did both in the same week in 1974 and haven't been back.

Comment

I'd keep an eye on Goodison, they keep talking about knocking it down.

Comment

Quite certain my biggest gap is Wembley Stadium - Feb 1999-May 2012.

It had changed a bit in those 13 years away...

Comment

I went to see St Mirren play Morton at Cappielow on 2nd January 2018. My previous visit to Cappielow was on 19th September 1998.

Apart from installing a few seats at the bottom of the cowshed in the home end (top-left of photograph), in those two decades Cappielow is now even more of a shit-heap. I can't believe visiting fans still have to stand on slippery wet benches with absolutely no protection from the weather. It's rarely dry in Greenock.

Comment

My records are a mess, but I think it may be the Bentegodi in Verona.

Hellas-Genoa In 1984 and Hellas-Pro Patria in Serie C in 2008.

Comment

I think I may have just had mine in terms of ground visits – the Deva Stadium in Chester where I've seen York play twice, first in April 2000 and then just a few weeks ago in October 2019.

In terms of teams I think I can go longer again. I saw Hereford at Bootham Crescent in February 2019, having previously seen them there in September 1992. Although given the Bulls went bust and reformed, does this count?

Comment

My brain hurts.

I initially guessed Bristol Rovers but just remembered going to the Bristol derby in 1987, which means <insert Bristol Rovers home ground here> is only third on my list at 26 years. Second is Cardiff (28 years) and first is Fulham at 29 years (v Newport in 1981, v Port Vale in 2010).

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                        My brain hurts.

I initially guessed Bristol Rovers but just remembered going to the Bristol derby in 1987, which means <insert Bristol Rovers home ground here> is only third on my list at 26 years. Second is Cardiff (28 years) and first is Fulham at 29 years (v Newport in 1981, v Port Vale in 2010).
                        That will be a different ground though, surely.

I think mine is Park Hall, Oswestry. Saw Salop there playing Oswestry Town in a friendly in 1994 and TNS v Barry in 2019. Everything has changed in the interim - facilities, pitch, main team...

Comment

Elland Road was one of my early away trips back in December 92. I didn't go back until last February, so just over 26 years.

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                          Quite certain my biggest
                          gap is Wembley Stadium - Feb 1999-May 2012.

It had changed a bit in those 13 years away...
                          I'm being pedantic, but as it's effectively a new ground, does it count? Would be 25 years for me if I'm including that (League Cup Final 1985 to FA Vase Final 2010).

Comment

I visited (actually played on) Lancaster City's Giant Axe ground when I was eleven. I went to watch Droylsden in an FA Cup tie there about two years ago.

So just under fifty years between visits.

Comment

A fortnight shy of twenty years between visits to Old Trafford, but kept off top spot by Sixfields in Northampton - November 1996, revisited January 2019 so 22 years 3 months.

Of grounds still standing, it's close to 30 years since I made my single visit to the Hawthorns, so a re-visit would give that top spot.

Comment

Ibrox - from January 1987 (5-0 v Clydebank) to November 2018 (0-0 v Villareal). Almost 32 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                                  Elland Road was one of my early away trips back in December 92. I didn't go back until last February, so just over 26 years.

I'm being pedantic, but as it's effectively a new ground, does it count? Would be 25 years for me if I'm including that (League Cup Final 1985 to FA Vase Final 2010).
                                  It's a fair point, but isn't the pitch in exactly the same area?

Aside from that, the biggest gap would probably be the 10 years between visits to Aggborough - 2005-2015.

Comment

The pitch is both deeper and at right angles to the old Wembley's pitch, isn't it? So at best I think you can say it overlaps the same coordinates.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

That will be a different ground though, surely.

I think mine is Park Hall, Oswestry. Saw Salop there playing Oswestry Town in a friendly in 1994 and TNS v Barry in 2019. Everything has changed in the interim - facilities, pitch, main team...
                                      Yeah, you're right. I missed that detail, so turf both Rovers and Cardiff from the podium.

Comment

Somerset Park, Ayr
                                        League Cup Group game early season 1980/81. We came back from 1-3 to win 4-3, Eamonn Bannon masterclass. Travelled from Glenrothes where my dad had just moved when he left the RAF.

This season’s league game we lost 2-0, general shit-show, inc the train journey from Newcastle via Carlisle.

39 years. Somerset pk hasn’t changed at all. The walk from the station was a bit less fraught/threatening aged 56 than 17!
                                        Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 12-11-2019, 06:56.

Comment

1981/2, actually so 38

Steve Nicol scored for Ayr

cant paste the link on this phone...

Comment

United opened the season at Somerset Park, defending their hold on the League Cup after last seasons final victory over Dundee at Dens Park. 19 year-old striker John Reilly, who had been a regular scorer during pre-season, was given a starting place

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                              Of grounds still standing, it's close to 30 years since I made my single visit to the Hawthorns, so a re-visit would give that top spot.
                                              Same actually. My mum's cousin, who lived round the corner from the Hawthorns and I believe was actually in some way involved with the club, took me to see the Baggies play Charlton on Boxing Day 1990 when we were down there for Christmas, and I've never been back since. There are a few few others that I've not visited since the mid-90s, but West Brom would be the furthest back.

Comment

Not me but there were a number of Luton fans talking on a club forum when we went to Blackburn in September about how they had gone the last time we played there, in 1981 - a mere 38 years between visits. A good 200 fans did go to Ewood Park in 2016 for an FA Youth Cup tie primarily to tick off the ground.

Comment

I've seen only one match at Stamford Bridge, which was about my sixth ever match - the 1978 FA Cup semi-final.

Wolves: 1987 and 2013
                                                  Swindon: 1986 and 2007

There's a lot of grounds now that I've not been to for ages, mind

Comment

Working...
                                                  X