Minute-silence mascots - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minute-silence mascots - Weekend Matchgoing

Ipswich v Lincoln tomorrow in the FA Cup for me. I didn't go 3 years when we took 4,000 for the 3rd Round Tie and got a 2-2 draw, but I have heard about how brilliant the whole day was from mates on an almost weekly basis. Sounds like we're taking over 1,000 tomorrow, and fortunately found cheap train tickets to go with the £10 entry fee. Not particularly confident about our chances.

Edit: Hmm, just hope the trains are ok, fear there might be more waterlogged pitches tomorrow.
    Last edited by RobW; 08-11-2019, 15:32.

Cheltenham v Swindon to me. I don't usually make cup games as I can't afford them, but my uncle has insisted on buying me a ticket for this.

Our record against them is imperious at Whaddon Road, but I think this could be the time they finally get their win against us. Big crowd of around 5,000 expected as it's Swindon. I'll be surprised if there's 3,000 there.

Comment

QPR TBC Middlesbrough 0

At least there's a decent reduction for over-60s

Comment

Linfield v Dundalk in the catchily titled Unite the Union Champions Cup. It's a two-leg cross-border / all Ireland competition between the two Irish champions. Tonight's my first trip to Windsor Park since it was jazzed up. Indeed it's my first trip to Windsor since the 90s. The return leg is on Monday. It'll be interesting to see how this one goes, with Dundalk entering holiday mode a month after wrapping up the league and week after cocking up the cup final, and with Linfield understandably more focused on the league.

Plenty of history between the team (not to mention the countries)

I was a bit too young for the infamous European Cup meeting in 1979
        https://dundalksport.ie/retro-1979-t...p-ae626814ab51

And I missed this epic 5-3 win on our last trip to Windsor in 2011

Last edited by seand; 08-11-2019, 15:54.

Comment

Got a couple of hours spare before the game, and as i'm not boozing pre-kick off any longer was gonna head to the local art gallery. Until I saw they have an Ed Sheeran exhibition on https://ipswich.cimuseums.org.uk/exh...madeinsuffolk/. Booze sounds quite appealing now.

Comment

Was looking forward to a blustery local jaunt to Walthamstow FC v Saffron Walden in the Essex Senior League, but it turns out that my mate's 40th birthday party actually begins at 3pm, with suckling pig to be consumed from 5pm. This has changed the day somewhat, but on the upside I should be fast asleep before Match of the Day starts...

I really wish Walthamstow Avenue still existed. Both the team and their ground.

Comment

I remember a Tooting & Mitcham V Walthamstow Ave. game in the '70s which featured a bit of a scuffle between two players followed by one of them audibly offering his opponent the chance to finish it in the car park after the game.

Comment

On a whim I almost started to collect old Walthamstow Avenue football programmes, partly on the basis that I've been living here longer than I lived in Wakefield and also because I seem to thrive on collecting things which are niche and of no real value to most other people...

There's something very satisfying about saying the word 'whim' out loud. And starting it with an 'h'. All my office are chatting away in Spanish, so they're not even listening to me as I do it repeatedly.

Comment

Well, it's first v second in the Cymru Premier at Jenner Park tomorrow, but as they've moved this game from Sunday (when I could have gone) to tomorrow (when I can;t go) I won't be there.

Instead I will be celebrating Mrs Thistle's grandad's 95th birthday over in Gloucestershire. And tbh, even thought it's first v second in the Cymru Premier, celebrating with the family is more important.

Comment

Wimbledon v Doncaster Rovers tomorrow afternoon. Not the most inspiring draw as they're in the same division and we play them at home next month. The Dons will be short of a number of players through injury or loan conditions so rumours are they'll play an, ahem, "youthful" side.

I had hoped to get to at least one other tie in the round but Hayes & Yeading v Oxford United sold out before it went on sale to casual observers like me, I've got a work thing tonight which ruled out Dulwich Hamlet v Carlisle (even though I'm only around a mile away) and nothing else was that doable.

Annoying as I did three First Round ties last season.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-11-2019, 19:47.

Comment

A fairly humdrum encounter with Concorde Rangers who are 6 points and 5 places behind us. We seem to be doing an alternating good winning run/bad non-winning run thing at the moment. We are coming off a three match winning run that has seen is back in the play-offs - defying the fact that we are mostly playing with loanee kids who hardly know each other. Concorde Rangers have just got their first win after a four match losing streak. Looking at it, it should be a home win but I can't explain our form presently so am ill-judged to say. We haven't lost at home since August but that is somewhat belied by the fact we didn't have many home games in September and spent most of October grabbing late draws form losing positions at home. It is also going to be shit weather like our last home game which could mean anything.

Comment

Weather permitting, Porthmadog v Gresford Athletic in the Welsh Cup. Liverpool Feds v Brighouse in the FA Women's Cup on Sunday.

Comment

Flamengo v Bahia on Sunday if I can get a ticket. This is proving rather difficult. Damned Flamenguista glory hunters.

On Monday it's Botafogo v Avaí. Two dreadful teams in what could be the lowest quality game of the season. Botafogo desperately need the three points to get out of the relegation zone. If they can't beat Avaí, they're doomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                            A fairly humdrum encounter with Concorde Rangers who are 6 points and 5 places behind us. We seem to be doing an alternating good winning run/bad non-winning run thing at the moment. We are coming off a three match winning run that has seen is back in the play-offs - defying the fact that we are mostly playing with loanee kids who hardly know each other. Concorde Rangers have just got their first win after a four match losing streak. Looking at it, it should be a home win but I can't explain our form presently so am ill-judged to say. We haven't lost at home since August but that is somewhat belied by the fact we didn't have many home games in September and spent most of October grabbing late draws form losing positions at home. It is also going to be shit weather like our last home game which could mean anything.
                            Concorde is the French spelling. And that of the plane, in what was a diplomatic win for de Gaulle. The Football Club from Canvey Island, having no need to placate French politicians with a keen interest in status and iconography, are Concord Rangers.

Comment

If you get a programme, ut's always worth looking at Concord's history, just for the name of the league they started off in, which sounds like an Australian yeast extract brand.

Comment

Conchord Rangers imo

Comment

Castle, church, trains, shipping containers. Lots of shipping containers.

Comment

Kendal Town 4 Brighouse 2

Things are getting better at Kendal. Too soon to say it's a radical makeover but against the appalling performances I had the misfortune to witness early in the season they are improving substantially.

Some prudent recruitment is certainly in evidence, not least Emil Jaaskelainen - son of Jussi - a loan signing from Blackpool who adds much needed pace to the attack. His vigorous displays also suggest a healthy attitude of a young player not sulking about being slung several levels down the league pyramid to hone his skills.

It certainly didn't start well. Brighouse absolutely bossed the first half hour and went into a two goal lead - the second a thing of real beauty from Shiraz Khan whose touch, vision and pace tortured the home team initially.

However Kendal pulled a goal back, a Brighouse midfielder received a straight red soon after and the Mintcakes (oh, of course) took over with four unanswered goals. They looked sharp, eager and confident for the last hour and whilst it's too soon for genuine excitement the notion of mid table mediocrity - unthinkable in September - now looks distinctly possible. Modest ambitions, perhaps, but you have to start somewhere. At least it means I won't be going to the next game simply as an act of self- loathing.

Comment

And your hero Profumo gets the equaliser by going to the bog during injury time

Comment

Reading the programme on the way home I find that lairy, cock named dwarf, Paul Enis is enjoying a late career goal spree at FCUM.

However, there is a bloke opposite me on the train in a snakeskin suit. my mind is blown.

Comment

Seeevvveeerrrnnn

Comment

The third Salamenco brother. Who apparently lives in Accrington.

Comment

Is that snakeskin? it looks more like Laura Ashley curtain fabric.

Comment

You know that sign with the manager's message, what do you want us to do now he's been sacked.

Keep it there, and we'll just slap on the current managers name in bold and a different font, at a jaunty angle.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                  Is that snakeskin? it looks more like Laura Ashley curtain fabric.
                                                  FACT Laura Ashley was the most famous person to die from falling down icy stairs until the bloke who invented the Atkins diet did it.

I'm currently on a 2 car 158 with an abnormal collection of Burnley and West Ham fans in every available crevice. Why are they all drinking (and appear to be enjoying) Bavaria lager?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X