Outfield players between the sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
    I was with some Canary friends at a game between Sheffield United and Norwich at Brammall Lane in the mid-90s when Bryan Gunn, having been incensed at a Blades goal right on half time being allowed despite his absolute conviction that it was offside, continued his protests rather too vehemently down the tunnel at the break and was apparently summoned into the referee's room and told he was sent off. As all this had happened under the stands, there was understandable bemusement among the Norwich fans when the team came out after half time with big Rob Newman in goalkeeping attire (with bonus points for wearing a cap). To complete the surreality of the story, we only knew what had happened because then-Owl Chris Waddle was sitting a few seats along from us with an old skool transistor radio pressed to his ear and was relaying the information. Anyway, Newman conceded once, but from what I recall looked very much the part and didn't put much of a foot (or glove) wrong.

Brammall Lane perhaps isn't the luckiest of grounds for Norwich keepers – apparently only a couple of seasons before that game I was at, they'd finished a game there with striker Darren Beckford in goal after their starting keeper went off injured.
    I went to Raith-Dunfermline in 2012 after being recommended to do so on here and the PA announcer told us about a half-time sending off ("on police advice") over the speakers.

Comment

Whose jersey did Walker wear in goal for Spurs, or do they have a spare? Looks like Staunton borrowed sub keeper Jurgen Nielsen, who could not be sprung from the bench as Liverpool had already made 3 subs

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ts-in-pictures

Comment

Bobby Moore.

OP already wins the thread though.

Comment

Alvin Martin's hat trick past three different keepers of course; one of those being the hardly statuesque Peter Beardsley.

Comment

I saw Bracknell Town (then Step 5) play Headington Amateurs (of Step 6) play in a League Cup match a couple of seasons ago where Headington had no "recognised keeper" and so played their top scorer Luke Tuffs in goal. At half-time, with Headington two goals down, they made a tactical switch putting their top scorer up front and a new player in goal. Luke Tuffs scored for Headington but they ended up losing 4 or 5-1. I know it's a relatively low level of football but even at that standard you can get caught out, and I'd never seen a manager make that tactical switch before.

Comment

The opposite of this?

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                  Whose jersey did Walker wear in goal
                  There's a photo on the BBC Sport home page that shows it was one of Bravo's.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                    I was with some Canary friends at a game between Sheffield United and Norwich at Brammall Lane in the mid-90s when Bryan Gunn, having been incensed at a Blades goal right on half time being allowed despite his absolute conviction that it was offside, continued his protests rather too vehemently down the tunnel at the break and was apparently summoned into the referee's room and told he was sent off. As all this had happened under the stands, there was understandable bemusement among the Norwich fans when the team came out after half time with big Rob Newman in goalkeeping attire (with bonus points for wearing a cap). To complete the surreality of the story, we only knew what had happened because then-Owl Chris Waddle was sitting a few seats along from us with an old skool transistor radio pressed to his ear and was relaying the information. Anyway, Newman conceded once, but from what I recall looked very much the part and didn't put much of a foot (or glove) wrong.

Brammall Lane perhaps isn't the luckiest of grounds for Norwich keepers – apparently only a couple of seasons before that game I was at, they'd finished a game there with striker Darren Beckford in goal after their starting keeper went off injured.
                    The Darren Beckford match (link below) was in early 1992 and the Rob Newman game was late 1995, so only three years apart. Your recollections are pretty much spot on.

https://youtu.be/iC-SZQbf730

It was cruelly suggested by many Norwich fans that it was Beckford's best game at the club, and there may be a grain of truth in that. The highlights don't do it justice as he made at least two other decent saves and didn't concede until the last ten minutes.

Ironically, future keeper Newman had a perfectly good Norwich leveller (not shown either) ruled out in stoppage time.

Comment

Vinnie Jones against Newcastle.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                        John McGinlay used to fancy himself in goal.

He once scored what was the winner against Reading then spent most of the game in goal when Keith Branagan was sent off.
                        Nah, was at the game. Last 15 mins at best.

Edit

Further recollections, Tommy Wright was in Goal for Reading? I'd rather have had McGinlay.
                        Last edited by Big Boobs and FIRE!; 07-11-2019, 19:47.

Comment

Originally posted by mirko bolesan View Post
                          I saw Bracknell Town (then Step 5) play Headington Amateurs (of Step 6) play in a League Cup match a couple of seasons ago where Headington had no "recognised keeper" and so played their top scorer Luke Tuffs in goal. At half-time, with Headington two goals down, they made a tactical switch putting their top scorer up front and a new player in goal. Luke Tuffs scored for Headington but they ended up losing 4 or 5-1. I know it's a relatively low level of football but even at that standard you can get caught out, and I'd never seen a manager make that tactical switch before.
                          In an unrelated story, the first non league game I enforced on my dad, Bracknell won 10-0 against Whyteleaf.

Even the lanky bloke from the non league paper scored.

One of the Skivertons scored a load.
                          Last edited by Big Boobs and FIRE!; 07-11-2019, 19:44.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                            Alvin Martin's hat trick past three different keepers of course; one of those being the hardly statuesque Peter Beardsley.
                            The tainted hero:

A more recent (and for NUFC fans, happier) example:

Comment

Such incidences are not uncommon in the lower echelons of non-league. However, this thread has rekindled not too distant memories of a memorable Runcorn victory. For a number of seasons following the Club’s 2006 rebirth as Runcorn Linnets, Bootle were the proverbial bogey side for the Corn. Encounters between the two clubs saw us regularly outfought, with our Scouse neighbour’s ever vocal in denouncing us as ‘Wools’ (conversely the lamentable references to ‘Brutal’ which emanated by way of riposte were quite likely ‘worn as a badge of honour’).

The tide turned somewhat over the course of a month in early 2013. The prelude to the game in question, came on a wintry night in late January when Runcorn, languishing in the lower reaches of the League at the time ,overturned a two goal deficit and the hurdle of playing the second-half with ten men, to clinch a 3-2 victory over title challenging Bootle. This gave cause for quiet optimism ahead of a home League Cup tie a month later. An early strike saw us one-up and even a red card picked up early in the second-half did little to alter the benign nature of proceedings. With just thirty seconds of injury time remaining, a commanding catch from hometown goalkeeper Adam Judge from a corner was greeted with euphoria on the terraces. In a game, which relative to the fixture’s history had been far from fractious, Judge put forward his claim to be cast as the villain in the piece. With ball safely in hand, rather than bask in the appreciation of the crowd, for reasons known only to himself, he opted to take several decisive steps and head butt an opposing player. Now, North West Counties referees are unequalled in their ability to surprise but the inevitable conclusion was reached. A red card and the awarding of a penalty.

A mood of despair prevailed; the warning thoughts of a celebratory pint or two now replaced with the chilling prospect of extra-time with nine men and an outfield player in goal. Left-winger Matty Atherton (who would go onto become the record appearance holder for the reformed club) was handed the gloves for the second-time in his time at the Linnets – the previous occasion having come eighteen months earlier in a slapstick game at Stone Dominoes when was handed the responsibility with the Corn 6-4 up, eventually conceding one goal in a 8-5 victory. To add to the surreal nature of proceedings, Bootle keeper Dean Porter stepped up to take the penalty dispatching it the kind of venom that suggested the outcome of the tie was only heading one way. Nervous talk ensued during the intervening minutes between the full-time whistle and extra-time as to whether Runcorn could produce a ‘miracle’ and hold out for penalties. The thirty minutes which followed have become very much an ‘I was there’ moment with the Corn defying expectation and taking the game to their opponents. This culminated in a fast-flowing counterattack which produced the winner much to the sheer disbelief of those in attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                Phil Jagielka was so good in goal that Sheffield United never picked a sub goalkeeper. He went in nets against Arsenal once.
                                A question for the Exeter fans - did your side used to do that when now-manager Matt Taylor was playing? Taylor was, of course, a centre-back who only converted to that position from goalkeeper in his mid-20s after a decent non-league career between the sticks that included winning the FA Trophy. If he did ever have to don the gloves mid-game whilst at Exeter, it wouldn't really have counted as an outfield player going in goal; rather it would have been a player with multiple positions being shifted to his second choice role.

Comment

FC United's ex goalkeeper Sam Ashton made one appearance for Bolton Wanderers, in the FA Cup. He played up front.

Comment

In season 87/88, Graham Roberts ended up in goal for most of an Old Firm game at Ibrox after Chris Woods had been sent off. Both sides were down to ten men as McAvennie joined Woods in the dressing rooms but Celtic quickly took advantage to lead 2-0. In the 2nd half, Terry Butcher was red carded leaving Rangers a man down and a goalkeeper down. Incredibly, they fought back to draw 2-2 with the equaliser coming in the dying seconds from Richard Gough. This led to Roberts famously conducting a rabid Ibrox with the ball at his feet.

He wouldn't be so jovial later on that season during the New Year fixture. Chris Woods was crocked in the 2nd half and for the 2nd time in a season, Roberts played in goal for Rangers v Celtic. This time Celtic's lead would not be pegged back and Roberts was beaten once in a 2-0 Celtic victory.

Staying with the Old Firm, a Celtic goalkeeper named John Thomson actually died after sustaining a terrible head injury during an Old Firm game back in 1931. He was stretchered from the field of play and Chic Geatons went between the sticks. Celtic drew the game 0-0 at Ibrox but Thomson died that night.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                                      Kyle Walker going in goal for Man City for just 10 minutes was a fairly rare event for an outfield player to put on the gloves these days, with most teams selecting a keeper amongst their alloted subs (except for Colin of course), but seems to have generated some headlines. Back in the day when only 1 substitute was allowed, it wasn't so uncommon, but I can vividly remember The Greatest Game of Football Ever when Leicester used 2 outfield players in goal.

Apologies to Patrick, ChrisJ and Nick and any other Shrewsbury fans on here, but after Chic "Bastard" Bates deliberately took out Leicester keeper Mark Wallington in the FA Cup quarter final of 82/83 and a hobbling and clearly distressed Wallo let in 2 soft ones, it would seem that our chance of gettting to Wembley was over for another year. Jock Wallace ordered the tearful Wallington off the pitch and Alan Young took his place, with Jim Melrose replacing Young up front. With the scores now at 2-2, thanks to one of the best/comical./disasterous own goals ever dependant on your point of view, Steve Biggins brought the Foxes back into the game.

The second half was pandemonium. Bates decided to become the villain again and nobbled Young, so Steve Lynex, at 5' 6" took over the now very oversized green jersey. Lynex (wonderful surname) kept a clean sheet while Young recovered and they swapped back again. Meanwhile up front, Melrose and Lineker took the Shrews apart as City won 5-2 and a game, which despite recent glories, will long live in the hearts of Leicester fans "of a certain age".

Anyone else with happy memories of someone who shouldn't be the last line of defence but inadvertantly finds themselves so?
                                      This was one of my favourite Match of the Day games of that era. I had to wait about a decade until I saw the goals again when they popped up on a MOTD compilation video. It was utter mayhem and all the more glorious because if it.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                        A question for the Exeter fans - did your side used to do that when now-manager Matt Taylor was playing? Taylor was, of course, a centre-back who only converted to that position from goalkeeper in his mid-20s after a decent non-league career between the sticks that included winning the FA Trophy. If he did ever have to don the gloves mid-game whilst at Exeter, it wouldn't really have counted as an outfield player going in goal; rather it would have been a player with multiple positions being shifted to his second choice role.
                                        I did not know that about his career trajectory. Stepping up from non-league into a professional career at 23/24 is impressive in itself. That he did so while changing position is all the more impressive.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ts-in-pictures

Comment

Going back to the opening post, it's interesting how perception works isn't it.

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                                            Apologies to Patrick, ChrisJ and Nick and any other Shrewsbury fans on here, but after Chic "Bastard" Bates deliberately took out Leicester keeper Mark Wallington in the FA Cup quarter final of 82/83 and a hobbling and clearly distressed Wallo let in 2 soft ones, it would seem that our chance of gettting to Wembley was over for another year. Jock Wallace ordered the tearful Wallington off the pitch and Alan Young took his place, with Jim Melrose replacing Young up front. With the scores now at 2-2, thanks to one of the best/comical./disasterous own goals ever dependant on your point of view, Steve Biggins brought the Foxes back into the game.

The second half was pandemonium. Bates decided to become the villain again and nobbled Young, so Steve Lynex, at 5' 6" took over the now very oversized green jersey. Lynex (wonderful surname) kept a clean sheet while Young recovered and they swapped back again. Meanwhile up front, Melrose and Lineker took the Shrews apart as City won 5-2 and a game, which despite recent glories, will long live in the hearts of Leicester fans "of a certain age".
                                            Looking at the video, there isn't all that much in the Bates challenge on Wallington, at least by the standards of the time. Both are going for the ball (it's hard to tell given the quality of the video, but Bates may have only had his eye on that), Wallington gets there a fraction of a second earlier than the forward and they collide. In modern terms would probably be classed as reckless and a yellow card, but likely that rather than dangerous and a red. Back in 1982 the ref taking no action beyond a free-kick and saying "that was unfortunate" would have been pretty standard. The foul on Young was a deliberate take out and therefore much worse... but that wasn't committed by Bates.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                              The foul on Young was a deliberate take out and therefore much worse... but that wasn't committed by Bates.
                                              To be fair Janik it was at the far end from SK2 where I was standing and it did look like him. As the Wallington incident had occured right in front of us we were more than happy to blame Bates for anything, but looking back at the match report it was Bernard McNally (and another name to Patricks old Salopian list). I do try and type things as I remember them, often badly, rather than looking them up to ensure all facts are present and correct : )

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post

In an unrelated story, the first non league game I enforced on my dad, Bracknell won 10-0 against Whyteleaf.

Even the lanky bloke from the non league paper scored.

One of the Skivertons scored a load.
                                                The game is still talked about with fondess at Bracknell. Apparently for the rest of the season Whyteleafe didn't list that result in their programme, just had it blotted out.

Stuart Hammonds is the guy from the Non-League paper, and coincidentally he played a couple of games in goal for Bracknell during his time there.

Comment

Aberdeen's Robbie Winters played in goals in the 2000 Scottish Cup Final after Jim Leighton (playing in his last game) got his face rearranged by Rangers' Rod Wallace. Scottish Cup rules at the times allowed only 3 subs.

flipping this round, in 1970 Aberdeen's goalkeeper Bobby Clark played a number of games at centre half for the reserves after he temporarily lost his first team place. He even played one game in the first team at centre half.

again flipping this round, Bryan Gunn played a few games for Aberdeen reserves as centre forward in 1982 or 1983

Comment

Retired Spanish goalkeeper Jose Molina made his debut for the national team as an outfield player:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3...ational_career

Comment

Working...
                                                    X