No announcement yet.

The Latest WSC with Arsenal on the cover and worrying editorial inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up to almost 500 patrons after yesterday's Guardian piece - over double the number on Friday.

Comment

Corbyn was also winging it; I got no impression that he'd done any prep.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Yeah but fans of big red clubs don't necessarily remember the score from every final they've been in. It's fans of smaller clubs that know that kind of detail and recall every detail vividly. Needless to say I have no problem remembering the score of that final, nor all the others (3) we've been in in my living memory.
        I think we probably do.

Comment

Yeah, the first edition of the mag featured a diatribe against Rangers and Chelsea fans becoming pally so it's no surprise the first podcast by the same pinko rag features an IRA-loving Marxist ...

... AND JEREMY CORBYN!!!!

Fantastic stuff. Pretty bloody impressive getting the party leader on the first show and I loved how he couldn't get "Andy Linighan winner" out fast enough, then repeated it over Tom correcting him on the scoreline.

"Yeah, but I know who scored the winner - you can't say I don't".

The idea Jezzer's not "relatable" went right out the window with that one (Well, it's exactly how I behave on Ursus' European Cup Trivia thread anyway).

I didn't like the bit when he said Tottenham's mob were all mouth and should come down the Emirates for a proper row but - hey - the podcast's only going to get better and is off to a solid start. Glad the subscriptions are taking off. Henry the actual Winter bumming up the mag on Twitter now too, on top of Barney Ronay's Guardian piece so - ye know - Momentum.

Comment

I went to Zaragoza in 1995 when Chelsea played the local team in the ECWC SF. Bit of a wild trip that ended with Spanish police on horseback cracking heads and a swift exit from the country via a nearby military airport. When we got back to England I dossed down at my mate's place in Muswell Hill and got the Tube into work the next morning. One of my fellow passengers was none other than Jez, who was standing near me and who I overheard briefly discussing the previous night's game with a young chap that I assumed to be his researcher in the rather detached way that you might imagine an Arsenal supporter talking about a rival club's 3-0 humping would. So, he's definitely a football fan, if not an obviously passionate one.

A couple of months before I was in one of the home sections of Club Brugge's ground after having bought a black market ticket only to find Tony Banks sitting behind me. Now there was a passionate football fan.

(David Conn's also out there batting for WSC.)
            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 19-11-2019, 18:42.

Comment

Corbs was unremarkable but Ok. He's clearly a football fan but a 6/10 one rather than the 8/10-10/10 ones that The Likes Of Us are. He'd probably have perfectly informed opinions on any Arsenal team of the past 30 years, but not as many ribald away trip anecdotes and obscure bits of nerdery that we do.

Anyway, the podcast was very enjoyable; in the way the first issues, and first fanzines generally, felt like a refreshing pub chat you'd just stumbled into, this had some of the feel of that.

Comment

He went to watch CFR Cluj vs Celtic earlier this season too. He was on a plane to Cluj for his holiday and met some Celtic fans on there off to watch their team play in the CL qualifiers, and they invited him to join them. So he did. (Celtic and Cluj've since been drawn together in the Europa League meaning Cluj have played Celtic almost as many times as Rangers this season. But I digress)

Comment

Corbyn has to do Arsenal Fan TV now, surely

Comment

Do British Libraries take out digital subscriptions? I only ask because here in the States I pay for a few schools and Libraries to receive certain magazine (printed) subscriptions each year (as a charitable contribution - to be upfront). Wondered if people feeling generous could pay for additional subs to go to libraries ? I didn't read through every page on the thread - so apologies if this was already mentioned.

Comment

Taylor's MOTM in this issue is worth an annual subscription alone. Bollocks to The Athletic - give me an ageing hack ruminating on the human condition while he sits through an execrable 0-0 draw any day.

Comment

Yes, really enjoyed that. "'we had our promising moments but just didn't take advantage'... yeah, tell me about it Eddie". My only slight issue is that I knew Taylor in 2009 and it's not like he was any different then.

Comment

The only problem with Taylor's report is that Eddie Howe doesn't look remotely like David Bowie.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
                            ... I only ask because here in the States I pay for a few schools and Libraries to receive certain magazine (printed) subscriptions each year (as a charitable contribution - to be upfront). Wondered if people feeling generous could pay for additional subs to go to libraries ?
                            Yeah, and if every British hack who's gone over to The Athletic wants to ease their conscience they could each buy an overseas magazine subscription for one library in a different state capital - should be enough of them to cover the whole country.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                              The only problem with Taylor's report is that Eddie Howe doesn't look remotely like David Bowie.

I do know where Taylor's coming from. When Howe grins or smiles there's something Bowie-ish about the teeth and eyes.

Comment

Also Huw Richards has two pieces in this mag. All the better for it too - his stuff's excellent. But is that a first?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                                  Also Huw Richards has two pieces in this mag. All the better for it too - his stuff's excellent. But is that a first?
                                  I can (hopefully without sanction) reveal some 18 years after it happened that I once had two pieces in the same issue, but one was under my German pen name.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                    but one was under my German pen name.
                                    Your what? Go on, what is it?

Comment

It's not very exciting - what the Germans call me anyway (Jan) because they can't pronounce Ian, plus frau imp's surname*.

*no, wise guys and galz, her surname is not 'imp'

Comment

It's not very exciting - what the Germans call me anyway (Jan) because they can't pronounce Ian, plus frau imp's surname*.

Jan Hofer?

Comment

Downloaded the first WSC podcast and listened to it on my way in...I must have looked like (more of) an idiot than I do normally as I sat on the train chuckling away. Only half way through so far...looking forward to my journey home for more than the usual reason!

Comment

I can (hopefully without sanction) reveal some 18 years after it happened that I once had two pieces in the same issue, but one was under my German pen name.
                                            Nyah-hah! Nice one ... or two, imp. Were you the first then? Sorry, but You know what I'm like with lists ...

I suppose now's as good a time as any to reveal my English pen name is Taylor Parkes, my Irish pen name is Jonathan O'Brien and in Welsh I'm Huw Richards. Telling you, some months I write that bloody thing myself ...

Comment

Jan Kobold, according to Google translate

Comment

Working...
                                              X