The Latest WSC with Arsenal on the cover and worrying editorial inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Latest WSC with Arsenal on the cover and worrying editorial inside

Is there a conversation about this somewhere else on OTF that I'm unable to find?

Not that I've seen. Mine's just arrived.
    Last edited by Capybara; 05-11-2019, 14:22.

Comment

Join the When Saturday Comes Supporters' Club to help us produce a half-decent football magazine, podcast and much more – plus you get lots of extras for yourself.

Since 1986, WSC has provided a voice for intelligent football supporters. From hand-stapled black-and-white pages, it has grown into the UK's largest independent football magazine.

When we launched we did not expect this magazine to become a full-time business, let alone to be in sight of our 400th issue due in June 2020. That we are still here is down to our loyal readers. We’ve had our close scrapes on the way but we like to think we’ve made a mark; from our promotion of the fanzine movement and coverage of the campaign against ID cards in the 1980s to our various trips to international tournaments in Africa and South America in the 1990s and, more recently, the launch of our competition for amateur writers. The many authors and journalists whose early work appeared in our pages include David Conn, Harry Pearson and Barney Ronay.

Print media in the UK is having a tough time. Recent closures include several long-established monthly magazines, scores of local newspapers and Kickaround, our own children’s football magazine. WSC is subject to similar cost pressures but has a very different business structure.

In 2019 our newsagent sales continue to be in slight decline, advertising revenue has fallen (we’ve taken a five-figure hit from turning away all gambling-related ads) and underlying costs such as print and postage have increased. Our long-established online presence, including website and social media, has never brought in much money and we don't want to regurgitate press releases from global brands in exchange for "access".

The simple fact is that WSC as a print magazine is no longer self-sustaining. We have cut costs as much as possible, including closing our permanent office. We’d like to think if we weren’t here that we’d be missed. So we need your help to continue.

We’re asking those who can to join the WSC Supporters' Clubs and contribute a little extra each month to help us to thrive as a distinctive and independent voice. In return we’ll give you access to extra episodes of the brand new WSC podcast, as well as extra gifts including exclusive merchandise.

Thank you.

Comment

Thanks Capybara ... Ah, but they do have the editorial up on the WSC website. Launch of the WSC Supporters Club.

So, as I suspected, it's just me not paying enough attention to the on-line world. And if more of you pesky yoofs would do likewise and BUY MAGAZINES MADE OF PAPER I wouldn't need to post scaremongery hysterical old man thread titles like "WORRYING EDITORIAL" ...

Everyone knows what I'm talking about then. I'm just late to the party as usual.

Right - let's get signing up for this then. I don't know what a Patreon is but I'm having a dozen for Christmas ...
        Last edited by Alex Anderson; 05-11-2019, 14:24. Reason: colchestersid's seen it too. Everyone has, haven't they. Okay. Sorry - just got a bit panicky. I'm 78 you know ...

Comment

I only got my issue this morning. If I'm an average subscriber then I imagine that's why there wasn't a thread yet.

Comment

Nothing average about you, Patrick ...

Comment

Why is the request for USD, rather than GBP?

Won't that incur greater transaction fees?

Comment

Patreon's native currency is USD because it is based here.

Comment

Yes.

I get that.

Wouldn't a UK based clearing house be more cost-effective?

(But I assume that's all been thought of)

Comment

Not necessarily, as the related costs and level of service for UK clearinghouses are generally thought less advantageous, which is why many non-US "creators" use Patreon.

There may also be a bit of concern over the future value of sterling.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      What could you possibly mean, UA???

If WSC bites the dust this country might as well have its fucking Brexit too.

Surely there's a Peter Cook out there to WSC's Private Eye ...

How much d'ye think Josh Widdicombe makes for that Friday Night thing ...

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post

What could you possibly mean, UA???

If WSC bites the dust this country might as well have its fucking Brexit too.

Surely there's a Peter Cook out there to WSC's Private Eye ...

How much d'ye think Josh Widdicombe makes for that Friday Night thing ...
                        The likes of Mark Steel would be a better person to approach, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          Not necessarily, as the related costs and level of service for UK clearinghouses are generally thought less advantageous, which is why many non-US "creators" use Patreon.

Which would put me off if it was a variable rate

Comment

You can revoke or modify your pledge every month if you are so inclined

Comment

Just signed up for this. I imagine I'll enjoy the podcast. And thanks for the alert, Alex. I wouldn't have got to know about this for at least another two weeks otherwise, as the mag tends to take a leisurely tour of Europe before arriving here.

Comment

I am more minded to make one off contributions.

Which I can't see as an option there, so. Sorry.

Comment

I'm quite sure that they would be happy to take your sterling on a one off basis.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                                    Just signed up for this. I imagine I'll enjoy the podcast. And thanks for the alert, Alex. I wouldn't have got to know about this for at least another two weeks otherwise, as the mag tends to take a leisurely tour of Europe before arriving here.
                                    Yeah, I'm looking forward to the podcast too, James.

Ever since watching The Great Hack, and then observing Boris Johnson get increasingly powerful with every lie, I'm not sure how healthy it was for me to post my true feelings on the internet.

Maybe "worrying editorial" in the thread title was a mistake. Maybe "WSC Supporters Club Membership Through The Roof" would have been more beneficial.

But if a screamingly hysterical OTT reaction so shrill it's audible on the other side of the continent is what's required then I'm yer man.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

The likes of Mark Steel would be a better person to approach, surely?
                                      Is he a contributor too?

I mean I know he loves Palace and he gets it and all that but does he write for the mag? Not being sarky - I genuinely don't know. Is he on OTF? Are you him?

Hey - if we don't at least get a comedy benefit gig out of this I'll be raging. Stewart Lee did the foreword for Tim Bradford's book didn't he? Oh yes - it's all coming together now ...
                                      Last edited by Alex Anderson; 05-11-2019, 18:09. Reason: Josh Widdicombe had his own sitcom on BBC3 - Mark Steel's In Your Town thing is on Radio 4 ... so they're probably equi-rich.

Comment

Well, "worrying editorial" got me to open the thread. So, job done.

Comment

Marks a good bloke but I don’t know he’s got the cash to be a magazine benefactor! If someone on the mag is especially keen on a comedy benefit, message me, I’d be happy to give what assistance I can.
                                          Last edited by Lucy Waterman; 05-11-2019, 18:07.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                            Well, "worrying editorial" got me to open the thread. So, job done.
                                            I ditched my original choice of "80 million Trabzonspor fans stop buying the mag at WH Smiths" but I'm going ahead with "we spend £350 Million a week on 4-4-2 which could be going on our WSC" on the side of the bus.

And anyone caught smuggling an 11 Freunde into the country can answer to the Wing Commander ...
                                            Last edited by Alex Anderson; 05-11-2019, 18:10. Reason: SIGN UP TO THE SUPPORTERS CLUB!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post

Is he a contributor too?

I mean I know he loves Palace and he gets it and all that but does he write for the mag? Not being sarky - I genuinely don't know. Is he on OTF? Are you him?

Hey - if we don't at least get a comedy benefit gig out of this I'll be raging. Stewart Lee did the foreword for Tim Bradford's book didn't he? Oh yes - it's all coming together now ...

I went to the WSC comedy & awards evening in the early-90s, when Graham Taylor turned up in his DJ to collect the award for the person who has done most harm to the game of football in the previous 12 months. It was a terrific evening. I got a great heckle in.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                                                Marks a good bloke but I don’t know he’s got the cash to be a magazine benefactor! If someone on the mag is especially keen on a comedy benefit, message me, I’d be happy to give what assistance I can.
                                                Wasn't the point.

A name plucked out at random.

Sorry.

But never mind.

Comment

Well I bought the latest copy of WSC at lunchtime and sat down to read it on the train home and realised that I had bought last months copy again and had already read it. This isn't the first time I have done this, so you can't accuse me of not contributing to WSC, even if it is almost four quid I've spent without needing to.

On a slightly different note, what's wrong with having betting adverts in WSC and on the forum? They've got them everywhere else and I don't click on them. If the choice is between no WSC and forum and one with betting adverts then I will take the one with betting adverts thank-you very much. I get why the owners don't want to get into bed with the betting companies and I understand about this old fashioned thing called principles, but there may be no choice in the matter. Oh and I had noticed the offices in Paul Street had gone as well. Best of luck for the future guys, I've been reading WSC since 1991 when my English teacher brought in a copy to demonstrate what a fanzine was and got us all to produce a fanzine on a topic of our choice. Now he was a good English teacher!
                                                  Last edited by Paul S; 05-11-2019, 22:16.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X