Some fixture help (London and Newcastle) mid-December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some fixture help (London and Newcastle) mid-December

I'm traveling to a work conference that will take place in Newcastle on Monday, December 16 and Tuesday, December 17.

Given those dates, I'd need to be in Newcastle by Sunday. It looks like Newcastle United is away but Sunderland is home on 12/14. I can come to England a few days early if there are any mid-week or Friday night matches in or around London (I will fly into Heathrow) or in or around Newcastle. Although I prefer higher up the pyramid, non-league is fine as well. I checked to see if there's also a possibility for FA Cup replays but wiki doesn't list replay dates yet.

Given these dates and locations, does anyone have any recommendations about possible Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday night matches. I know it's early but if there aren't options for football then I'd just wait to fly in until Friday, find football near Newcastle on Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if it would fit in with your scheduling but I might be able get a Chelsea V Bournemouth ticket for you - 3pm KO on the 14th.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
      I checked to see if there's also a possibility for FA Cup replays but wiki doesn't list replay dates yet.
      Second round replays will be mainly 10/11 December, possibly 9 December depending on how the TV schedules work these days (I've lost track).

Comment

Griffin Park and The Valley are good options in London (though you might need help with tickets for the latter).

Nothing near Newcastle Wednesday to Friday as far as I can see ;

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-11-2019, 23:52.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply with these options. So far it looks like my best option might be to arrive on Wednesday morning, go to Brentford, hang out and look for some DIY punk shows on Thursday, and then Charlton on Friday. (If you remember I was there last year, Ray, you helped me with the Fulham ticket, and at that time Charlton was also at home with tons of empty seats but maybe the promotion has changed ticket options?) Then I would head up to see Sunderland on Saturday. I appreciate the Chelsea offer NS but London is likely going to be more expensive in terms of the hotel so...

Do you guys have any general recommendations for any Sunday fixtures at any level near Newcastle? (I'm fine taking trains just as long as I'm not getting all day eaten up on the train--so maybe 60 to 90 minutes from Newcastle each way.) Middlesbrough is away to Swansea on that Saturday, which eliminates the other very obvious option.

Comment

I've asked a mate about a ticket for the Charlton game. He works with students from their academy so fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
              Do you guys have any general recommendations for any Sunday fixtures at any level near Newcastle? (I'm fine taking trains just as long as I'm not getting all day eaten up on the train--so maybe 60 to 90 minutes from Newcastle each way.) Middlesbrough is away to Swansea on that Saturday, which eliminates the other very obvious option.
              Probably falls foul of the "not getting all day eaten up on the train" but Celtic are at home that day and Motherwell host Rangers. Glasgow is over 2 hours from Newcastle though.

Games may be scarce on a Sunday though, at any level, as the only Sunday games in the leagues tend to be the televised games. Possibility of some lower tier ice hockey if that's your thing.

Comment

As it's a midweek game, you'll probably be ok for a Brentford v Cardiff ticket but I can get one for you if you need it.

There should be no problem getting a ticket for Charlton v Hull. (18:45 seems a strange kick off time, Ray?).

Comment

The 14th is an FA Trophy weekend so there could be a host of decent non league games appearing on the schedule in a couple of weeks. It's the first round proper so all the top level sides will be playing somewhere.

Comment

dm, I imagine tickets will be relatively easy to come by for Charlton, especially on a Friday night. I'll do some digging around.

I checked for games near Newcastle on the Sunday and Motherwell is actually the closest game - pending any Trophy fixtures being scheduled as per Greenlander's comment.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post

There should be no problem getting a ticket for Charlton v Hull. (18:45 seems a strange kick off time, Ray?).
                      Ah, that'll be a glitch. The app does that sometimes - it's a 19:45pm kick-off.
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-11-2019, 13:31.

Comment

Thanks for the additional recommendations and offers to help. I'm going to book my flight this week--just waiting on one work-oriented meeting--so I'll know my exact dates and will then circle back.

Comment

Thanks again for the various offers to help and advice about fixtures. I'm set for tickets to Charlton on Friday night and Sunderland on Saturday. I won't arrive to London until Thursday morning so will not get there in time for Brentford.

Since I don't know the general Newcastle area, are there any Trophy matches in that area on Sunday 15 December?

Comment

There's still another round of the Trophy to play next weekend before the ties for that weekend are decided.

Comment

Sides still in the competition it wouldn't be crazy to travel to are Gateshead, Blyth Spartans, Darlington, South Shields and Spennymoor Town. At a real push, York City and Workington, but Sundays are probably an absolute nightmare to get to Workington, I'd bet. Blyth and Spennymoor are probably a pig on Sundays too, to be fair.

Comment

No, there are plenty of buses all day everyday to Blyth from Newcastle or Whitley Bay

Comment

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like all of the Trophy matches except one (Kingstonian) are played on Saturday and I'll be at Sunderland.

Comment

Am I right in guessing you’re at a punk studies conference..?

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                      Am I right in guessing you’re at a punk studies conference..?
                                      Haha. Exactly. It works well each year: some punk and some football. Will you be there as well?
                                      Last edited by danielmak; 10-12-2019, 23:00.

Comment

No but one of my PhD students will

Comment

Working...
                                        X