Last Floodlight-Free Football (this year) - Weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Floodlight-Free Football (this year) - Weekend matchgoing

Probably wander down to Cricklewood Wanderers v Hillingdon.

Bath City V Dorking (should have started the thread myself with a "Walking down to see Dorking" or somesuch title). We have finally won after a run of 5 without a win. Dorking in good form and 5th so, if in optimistic mood, I will predict a draw possibly with us drawing level on 90 minutes after being behind for the whole match. It seems to be the form presently in order for such home draws to feel like a point gained rather than 2 lost.

Comment

On Saturday, for reasons that are far too complicated to explain, I shall attempt to see Crawley v Swindon.

On Monday, it's QPR v Brentford in the televised game. I'm going despite the fact that on the telly you can actually see the ball cross the goal-line at the School End. This is not the case with a 34 quid ticket in the Upper Tier.

Comment

Scotland vs Serbia in a Rugby League World Cup (2021) qualifier in Glasgow. I was going to start this thread yesterday but wanted to use "get em onside" translated into Serbian for the thread title and couldn't get an accurate enough translation from Google (according to when I tried to back-translate it into English. I fairly put the work in you know.)

Comment

Saturday afternoon is a little up in the air, Wimbledon aren't playing (I presume the original fixture list had them against Bury) and I'll probably wander to something relatively local and new to me. Westfield v Beaconsfield Town in the First Round Qualifying of the Trophy if I go for the excitement of a knockout game or maybe Frimley Green v Redhill if I push on with trying to complete the Combined Counties Premier.

Taking my son, dad and younger brother on a jolly boys outing to Wembley on Sunday for Cincinnati Bengals "at" Los Angeles Rams in the NFL.

I had hoped to get to the Olympic Velodrome to see some of the Six Day Cycling this weekend too but I think that's going to be too much of a stretch to fit in.

Oh and I'm watching the Rugby World Cup semi-finals on TV at 9am on Saturday and Sunday with a mixture of trepidation and hope.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-10-2019, 12:51.

Comment

I'm off for my first real taste of Liverpool, and definite first experience of Birkenhead on Saturday for a War of the Rovers; Tranmere vs Doncaster.

Booked on a daft early train initially with the plan of a day on the ale, but others I was planning to meet have pulled out so it'll be a much more cultural day. Particularly looking forward to seeing the Keith Haring exhibition at the Tate.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post
              I'm off for my first real taste of Liverpool, and definite first experience of Birkenhead on Saturday for a War of the Rovers; Tranmere vs Doncaster.
              Prenton Park itself is great but stay in Liverpool as much as possible. There is nothing inherently wrong with the area of Birkenhead around Prenton Park or in general, I suppose, it just suffers due to its close proximity to Liverpool as an alternative source of entertainment.

Comment

I was supposed to be at Burnley vs Chelsea, I shall now be hunched over a laptop fretting that my client isn't getting emails/deluged by spam.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                  Scotland vs Serbia in a Rugby League World Cup (2021) qualifier in Glasgow. I was going to start this thread yesterday but wanted to use "get em onside" translated into Serbian for the thread title and couldn't get an accurate enough translation from Google (according to when I tried to back-translate it into English. I fairly put the work in you know.)
                  If I'd known I'd have asked the chaps in front of me at the Spurs v Crvena zrezda game. Please make sure Alex Walker doesn't get injured as he's Wakefield's new full back and we need all the help we can get to survive in Super League every season. I know that Serbia replaced Russia in qualifying and that Red Star Belgrade entered the Challenge Cup and were beaten by Millom last season, but I know nothing more about them. Gerrrrrrrremonside, referee!

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post

Booked on a daft early train initially with the plan of a day on the ale, but others I was planning to meet have pulled out so it'll be a much more cultural day. Particularly looking forward to seeing the Keith Haring exhibition at the Tate.
                    Leave yourself time for a couple of nice beers in the Fans Trust run marquee in the car park at Prenton Park.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty Trin View Post
                      If I'd known I'd have asked the chaps in front of me at the Spurs v Crvena zrezda game. Please make sure Alex Walker doesn't get injured as he's Wakefield's new full back and we need all the help we can get to survive in Super League every season. I know that Serbia replaced Russia in qualifying and that Red Star Belgrade entered the Challenge Cup and were beaten by Millom last season, but I know nothing more about them. Gerrrrrrrremonside, referee!
                      I had plans to go to that game at Millom which were thwarted by the BBC selecting it for live coverage on the red button, meaning a switch to the Sunday. Serbia should be competitive, their domestic league is small but they have had players getting pro contracts in England and France and have a few 'heritage' players from Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I had plans to go to that game at Millom which were thwarted by the BBC selecting it for live coverage on the red button, meaning a switch to the Sunday. Serbia should be competitive, their domestic league is small but they have had players getting pro contracts in England and France and have a few 'heritage' players from Australia.
                        My last word on this to avoid hijacking the thread, but one of Wakefield's greats from the mid-1960's was Milan Kosanovic, a Serbian who came to the UK as a result of the political situation in the Balkans in his teens in the aftermath of World War Two, discovered he was handy at the game and ended up playing for us along with Bradford and Featherstone and was in our team when we beat Wigan at Wembley in 1963. Enjoy the game!

Comment

Barry Town v Airbus Broughton in the Cymru Premier on Saturday afternoon. First home game I've been to since the August bank holiday double bill.

How many of you have seen a team named after a jumbo jet?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

Prenton Park itself is great but stay in Liverpool as much as possible. There is nothing inherently wrong with the area of Birkenhead around Prenton Park or in general, I suppose, it just suffers due to its close proximity to Liverpool as an alternative source of entertainment.
                            I would agree with this. Stay in Liverpool as long as possible.

Comment

Point of order: won't some OTFers be watching the occasional game at a non-floodlit venue over the winter with, say, a 2pm KO?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                Barry Town v Airbus Broughton in the Cymru Premier on Saturday afternoon. First home game I've been to since the August bank holiday double bill.

How many of you have seen a team named after a jumbo jet?
                                That's Boeing.

Comment

Bohemians v Sligo Rovers, last game of the season so it's party time, no one cares about the result. Club
                                  captain Derek Pender announced his retirement today so he's going to get an emotional send off, judging by the weather forecast, the player of the season awards will be done with some haste.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                    Point of order: won't some OTFers be watching the occasional game at a non-floodlit venue over the winter with, say, a 2pm KO?
                                    Definitely, yeah. You bloody sellouts watching football above Step 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post

Leave yourself time for a couple of nice beers in the Fans Trust run marquee in the car park at Prenton Park.
                                      Ah cheers for this tip. Was planning on having a day off drinking, but if I change may mind I'll be heading here pre-match.

Comment

Dundalk home to St Pats tonight. Pats need to win and hope Derry lose at home to relegation-playoff-bound Finn Harps to sneak into the last Euro place.

For Dundalk it's party time with the league trophy presentation. Our next five games are league trophy presentation night, the FAI Cup final, two legs of the cross-border Unite the Union Cup final and then next season's super cup. Heady times. Could do with getting back to winning ways ahead of the cup final. After storming to the title with a 24 game unbeaten run in the league, we've sleepwalked to back to back 1-0 defeats.

Comment

Slightly concerned by the weather forecast, but all being well will be at Chester v York, the massive 2nd v 1st clash of the, a-hem, titans. The country's (sixth level and above at least) only all-competitions unbeaten record this season will come under severe pressure I fear.

Aside from the weather, it's also going to take spreadsheet levels of planning and some deft (tight) train changes to get there and back on the old magical £10 Northern day ranger ticket.

Comment

Taking my youngest to Oxford Utd vs Rochdale, ticking off their 'new' stadium in the process as the last time I saw Oxford was at the Manor Ground.

Given the home team's current form, hoping for a goal-fest. And ideally, a sale in the club shop as 7610 jr has taken to collecting the home team's home shirt for matches he attends, where you or I might be happy with a programme or a ticket stub.

Comment

He should get Oxford's change shirt, it's lush ;

Comment

Presumably children's versions are with a different sponsor or sponsor-free. Although the sponsor's logo is a part of why that one's so cool.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                                                  Dundalk home to St Pats tonight. Pats need to win and hope Derry lose at home to relegation-playoff-bound Finn Harps to sneak into the last Euro place.

For Dundalk it's party time with the league trophy presentation. Our next five games are league trophy presentation night, the FAI Cup final, two legs of the cross-border Unite the Union Cup final and then next season's super cup. Heady times. Could do with getting back to winning ways ahead of the cup final. After storming to the title with a 24 game unbeaten run in the league, we've sleepwalked to back to back 1-0 defeats.
                                                  Ahem, one was 2.1 with a late consolation, so late was in the bar.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X