X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad tackles 2019-20

Mansfield, 54s in
    https://youtu.be/fXPFqexdr3c

Airbus v Barry on this week's Sgorio. First half Callum Sainty clobbered an Airbus player who got stretchered off. Sainty only got a yellow Late 2nd half, Chris Hugh got clobbered by an Airbus player who got a straight red. I honestly couldn't see a difference in the tackles.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
      The reactions of the other Mansfield players tells you how bad that one was.

Comment

Yeah, at least two with their heads in their hands at that foul. They knew he was walking. I suppose at least with that foul the comment, 'He isn't that sort of player' does hold some water. He'd obviously taken a far-too-heavy touch - the trouble is that rather than accepting that he had lost possession *at the point he made that touch* he had a rush of blood and attempted to keep hold of the ball by hook or by crook.

The reaction of the team shows that players are getting better at reading this, but some players need to learn what to do (and obviously what not to do) about lost causes.
        Last edited by Kevin S; 18-09-2019, 09:10.

Comment

I was at the match and had a close-up view of the incident. It was a disgraceful tackle. Matt Preston even had the nerve to argue with the ref's decision and refuse to leave the pitch for a good three minutes. Eventually, the Cambridge player managed to hobble off supported by two colleagues, in serious pain but thankful that his left leg was still attached to the rest of his body. The Mansfield crowd gave him a sympathetic round of applause.

Justice was done in that it changed the course of the game and Cambridge ran in four goals without reply. Expect to see Mansfield's John Dempster featuring in the sacked managers thread very soon.
          Last edited by cantagalo; 18-09-2019, 09:13.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
            Matt Preston even had the nerve to argue with the ref's decision and refuse to leave the pitch for a good three minutes
            !!!!!!!

Comment

OK so maybe he *is* that type of player then!

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

!!!!!!!
                It didn't hold the game up as it was while the Cambridge player was receiving lengthy treatment. Needless to say, he neither apologised nor enquired about his well-being. It was telling that once he eventually trudged off down the tunnel, there was none of the moronic applause you sometimes get from fans when a home player is sent off.

Comment

What were Preston's team-mates doing during that time, given that, as mentioned above, they seem to realise the seriousness of the tackle and the inevitably of the red card immediately?

Comment

Comment

Ayyy, that's not good. No wonder he had to go off.

Mansfield one's a shocker an' all.

Comment

I was surprised to see the Mansfield player was Preston. I saw them at Crawley at the weekend and he left an impression on my 7 year old son as he was very polite to the ballboy when taking a throw-in in front of us - he managed a 'please' when asking the young lad to hurry up, and then a 'thank you' when he did actually receive the ball. And not in a passive-aggressive or sarcastic way, either, so maybe he's that type of player but not that type of person.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                          What were Preston's team-mates doing during that time, given that, as mentioned above, they seem to realise the seriousness of the tackle and the inevitably of the red card immediately?
                          Immediately after the tackle there was the usual pushing and shoving between opposing players but this was defused by the referee's quick red card. A couple of them joined Preston to protest his innocence to the referee but they didn't really seem to have their heart in it.

Comment

OK so maybe he *is* that type of player then!
                            Or, he isn't that type of player, didn't actually intend to do it and was trying to argue it was an accident.

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                            And after it. They should have been in the dressing room telling him the 4-0 loss was absolutely all on his shoulders, given the way the game panned out.

Comment

The Mansfield one was also the second straight red card for a potentially leg-breaking tackle in three days for sides playing Cambridge. From 22 seconds:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlLfMuSD2SM

Comment

Turns out that (the Mansfield one) was the second time this player has been straight red carded for such a lunging tackle this season! The evidence is rather stacking up against his character. Will the FA do more than a four match ban, I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                  The Mansfield one was also the second straight red card for a potentially leg-breaking tackle in three days for sides playing Cambridge. From 22 seconds:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlLfMuSD2SM
                                  Is there a way of seeing that in slow motion. I am not sure how much contact there was there, and the guy seemed to be up instantly the red card came out.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                    Airbus v Barry on this week's Sgorio. First half Callum Sainty clobbered an Airbus player who got stretchered off. Sainty only got a yellow Late 2nd half, Chris Hugh got clobbered by an Airbus player who got a straight red. I honestly couldn't see a difference in the tackles.
                                    Here's the link. https://youtu.be/hJmmIqAjgQ4

(With commentary ar Gymraeg)

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                      To me, this looks like BOTH players dive in recklessly and it's just split second luck as to who injures who. I'd have been inclined to send them both off for reckless play.

Comment

So this just happened (about half an hour ago) in the Bucharest derby

Comment

Jesus. Is he OK?

How did the red card come about? VAR or did the ref just upgrade it because it needed two ambulances?

Comment

That's quite something, but looked quite innocuous on first viewing. I couldn't tell if he was unconcious and swallowed his tongue or worse. Presumably the fact you can see red looking up as he gets lifted into the ambulance means it isn't serious or paralysing.

The reaction when 17 gets his second yellow is one of 'really' but I think his team mates tell him to STFU and get off the pitch and he seems to realise what has just happened and goes.

Comment

I did something similar when I was playing, I never saw him coming when I was clearing a ball over my shoulder, didn't knock him out, thankfully, but gave him a hell of a shiner. The vibration running up my leg isn't something I want to ever feel again. I got a yellow card, we shook hands and played on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ek weet nie View Post
                                                Jesus. Is he OK?

How did the red card come about? VAR or did the ref just upgrade it because it needed two ambulances?
                                                I'm still not sure. He might have been holding off on the card until the guy was off and clearly OK. Or he might just have thought "2 ambulances? That probably ought to be a red"

Comment

He's stable and fine.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X