CL 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janik View Post
    Apropos of anything in particular? It wasn't involved in the Chelsea-Ajax incidents, which were all decisions taken on the pitch as far as can be told. Certainly the second yellow for Blind and the penalty for handball were decided that way.
    Well it's a general truism. But VAR has effects beyond the occasions that it gets used. The fucked up new handball law for example. Plus of course the loss of spontaneity and the joy of the game. After the CL last season I decided I wouldn't watch any live VARball until they'd done something to fix it (ideally get rid altogether), and I have stuck to this. I still watch highlights because it's live football that is ruined (great goals, brilliant moves, spectacular saves etc are still all that they were.) But football with VAR is a waste of time

Comment

I wonder if teams, amidst all their other meticulous scenario planning, know who goes in goal when events unfold like last night? Do you reckon they have a couple of designated players who do the odd bit of goalie training?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Well it's a general truism. But VAR has effects beyond the occasions that it gets used. The fucked up new handball law for example. Plus of course the loss of spontaneity and the joy of the game. After the CL last season I decided I wouldn't watch any live VARball until they'd done something to fix it (ideally get rid altogether), and I have stuck to this. I still watch highlights because it's live football that is ruined (great goals, brilliant moves, spectacular saves etc are still all that they were.) But football with VAR is a waste of time
        You know by this post you are showing you have become one of those back of the pub miserable old bastards you promised yourself as a youth you would never turn out to be.

Comment

Not sure if I ever promised myself that, but even if I did, I am now delighted to have joined their ranks.

Comment

Save a seat for me, i'll be along to join you in a minute as I find myself being increasingly wound up by trivial changes in the game and my matchday experience. And I did promise myself I wouldn't be one of those.

Comment

But what is wrong with the new handball rules? Forwards can't handle the ball at all, and defenders can't wave their arms around. That's not very different to the way it used to be. There's just more onus on players to be careful. It has to be stressed that the referee in the chelsea game was clearly wrong to give a the second penalty to chelsea under the new rules. You're not going to notice this handball changes as players get the message.

Comment

They've replaced one level of referee subjectivity (intent) with another (arms in an unnatural position*). The former was a better, more sensible rule, but because you can't form a judgement of it through a video screen they switched to the latter.

(*and as it stands "arms in an unnatural position" appears to mean "having arms and not wearing a straitjacket")

Comment

But They took an awful lot of the "intent" out a long time ago. An unnatural position has been in how the rules are implemented since at least 2005. They've just made it explicit what that is. It makes the rather reasonable assumption that ultra elite superathletes are capable at controlling their limbs. It's up to the defenders to get used to it and they eventually will. It's been like this now for 18 months at least. They should already be on top of it.

Comment

It's bollocks.

Comment

Having your arms by your side while moving is "unnatural".

Comment

AFAIC if the ball is flying towards the top corner, or even just towards the goal, and it hits an opposition player's hand or arm, even if said limb is just sticking out an inch at the side, it should be a penalty.
                        Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 07-11-2019, 12:39.

Comment

At this point it would be more accurate to describe what footballers do as supernatural. There's loads of defenders that do this already. This has basically been the rule for nearly 20 years now. It just didn't apply to people like John Terry.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                            Having your arms by your side while moving is "unnatural".
                            Apart from if you're Riverdancing. Maybe they should train by doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                              At this point it would be more accurate to describe what footballers do as supernatural. There's loads of defenders that do this already. This has basically been the rule for nearly 20 years now. It just didn't apply to people like John Terry.
                              Stephane Henchoz. That bastard loved a handball. He spent most of the early 00s hand balling in the area. Liverpool's most reliable keeper since Clemence.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

Stephane Henchoz. That bastard loved a handball. He spent most of the early 00s hand balling in the area. Liverpool's most reliable keeper since Clemence.
                                And that's why the rule had to change. The removal of intent has been going on in football for a long time now, because it was being abused to thoroughly.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

There was a Chinese long-distance athlete in the early 2000s who ran without moving her arms. Google is bringing up nothing but I distinctly remember her competing because it was just so weird. It made Paula Radcliffe's style look elegant in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Just the chorus line part. Before Riverdance, it was essentially unheard of for anyone to move their hands, it was an essential part of the victorian bowdlerization of traditional folk dancing. It was Michael Flately in his big billowing green shirt that blew our tiny little minds.

Comment

Well Mourinho isn't setting the competition alight at this point.

What happened with Brugge earlier to get two sent off?

Comment

Spurs looking well Spursy at present.

Meet the new boss...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                          What happened with Brugge earlier to get two sent off?
                                          Oh dear.
                                          https://dai.ly/x7oi3sa

'Diatta had cut in from the wing to smash home from distance, but then wheeled away, removing his shirt. This attracted a second yellow card from Slovakian referee Ivan Kruzliak, who had booked him earlier in the second half. He was immediately joined in departing the pitch by Brugge defender Clinton Mata, whose contribution to the celebrations was a flying scissor-kick on a corner flag, which snapped it clean in two. He too received a second yellow card.'
                                          Last edited by Kevin S; 26-11-2019, 21:04.

Comment

Do they never learn?

Comment

There is a joke about stereotypical Belgians in there. Heroically equalizing in a must-win away game in injury time, and then getting two players sent off for partying too hard.

Comment

I see Atalanta still have a reasonable chance of going through after losing their first three matches by a combined score of 11-2. They could end up with 7 points and a goal difference of -7 and qualify. Would that be the worst qualifier since the introduction of the group stages?

Comment

Spurs get one back thanks to some comical defending.

Comment

Spurs 3-2 up after a very good finish by Aurier.

#365 in a series of "sentences you never thought you'd write ".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X