• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merseyside isn't Lancashire either.

Comment

It was old Lancashire though.

Hence my previous question.

Comment

With FGR's rise in the last few years it's become Cheltenham v them. However, historically it's always been Cheltenham-Gloucester and, if they were to buck their ideas up and get back home at some point in the future, there's no reason it wouldn't be again.

What grates is the God-awful El Glosico moniker that's been given to the game with Forest Green.

Comment

In Lincolnshire, for me it has to be Grimsby v Lincoln. The Scunny v Grimsby has edge, arguably more so, but I think the fact that Grimsby v Lincoln is older and has been disputed more times gives it the nod. No doubt some people will disagree.

Comment

I think the Essex derby would have to be West Ham v Southend, which would be ironic seeing as most of West Ham's fans seem to live in the town. These days the most fiercely contested is in the national south between Chelmsford and Billericay. Nobody really cares about Braintree.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
              Nobody really cares about Braintree.
              Witham?

Comment

Is this all a convoluted attempt at saying the Boro's 'real' derby is Hartlepool United?

Comment

Northamptonshire is Cobblers vs Posh. Don’t @ me with your post-Sokeloss revisionism.

Comment

Macc v Alty in my home county.
                    Dover v Folkestone in my adopted county, as far as I can tell.

Comment

Carlisle v Workington was quite the thing in the 50s and 60s, until Carlisle somewhat spoiled things by getting promoted to the Second Division, leaving occasional cup ties as the last of the competitive matches between them (the last being in 1980 I think).

Carlisle v Barrow has never been a thing - in the days when they were playing each other they were in separate counties and would have been over two hours apart.

Latterly Barrow v Workington has been talked up as a big derby but again neither of them like to accept they are in the same county.

Netherfield/Kendal Town (being one and the same, not two teams) are out of consideration because they are really from yet another county.

So that leaves Carlisle City v Penrith as the one to bring out the flare-lighters and bragging-righters round here.

(Although the real answer is Workington Town v Whitehaven in RL, of course).
                      Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 17-09-2019, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal Staples View Post
                        Macc v Alty in my home county.
                        Dover v Folkestone in my adopted county, as far as I can tell.

Surely it's Crewe v Macclesfield these days for Cheshire, last season's encounter at the Moss Rose being particularly fraught, complete with flares, smoke bombs and pitch invasions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                          Weston Super Mare are down in the Southern...
                          I was going to mention to you how shocked I was when they rocked up round the corner from me at Walton Casuals the other day. Even more so when they lost, handing the hosts their first points of the season.

Comment

I'm not sure there's anyone to properly challenge Woking in Surrey's Middle Classico, it's a rugby area after all.

Comment

Working...
                            X