• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Each county's classico

Durham

West v Bishop

Cambridge United v Peterborough United

Comment

City v Gargoyle goes without saying in Devon.

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield United in South Yorkshire.

Derbyshire is a tricky one. Wayne Rooney's Derby County and Chesterfield are the biggest clubs but they rarely meet competitively and both their main rivals are all the way over in Nottinghamshire. Neither do either of them ever encounter Alfreton Town. After that you're down to Belper Town, Buxton, Ilkeston Town, Matlock Town and Mickelover Sports. I went to Matlock - Mickelover a couple of years back and fair to say it wasn't exactly a cauldron of seething rivalry and hatred.

Comment

About thirty years ago, the biggest rivalry in Cornwall was Liskeard - Saltash when both were in the Western League, but now it's not so clear cut as all the teams except Truro are in the more local SW Peninsula League. So based on size of crowds and distance apart it's probably St Blazey - St Austell or the Clay Pits Derby as I've just decided to name it.

Comment

Back in the Day Sutton United v Carshalton Athletic was a bit of a thing.

LB Sutton Derby

Comment

I believe Bury Town v Lowestoft is referred to as El Suffico

Comment

The 'guided-bus derby - Cambridge City v Histon. With the teams having an on-off ground sharing arrangement (Histon are the landlords) it's often been compared to the Milan derby.

Comment

North Yorkshire would surely be York vs Scarborough. Not that it’s happened outside of the County Cup for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
                    The 'guided-bus derby - Cambridge City v Histon. With the teams having an on-off ground sharing arrangement (Histon are the landlords) it's often been compared to the Milan derby.
                    I've heard the Milanese are very envious of it.

Comment

There was talk of little else in the week leading up to the Derby della Madonnina

Comment

Staffordshire.

Stafford v Tamworth

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                          Staffordshire.

Stafford v Tamworth
                          Good lord no, I don't think either club considers each other as a rival. Stafford have been an NPL team for some time now and probably consider Hednesford to be their main rivals, whilst Tamworth's county rival has always been Burton Albion for as long as I have been watching them, though given their respective placings right now you wouldn't think that they spent many seasons buggering about at the same level.
                          Of course Tamworth's "classico" has always been the Staffs/Warks cross-border skirmish with Nuneaton, and this is where the thread falls down somewhat, as the original Real-Barca el classico of course is not between clubs of the same province, region or even neighbouring regions, and many clubs would consider their "classico to be a cross-border affair such as Forest v Derby or Norwich v Ipswich, or even cross-nation in the case of Wrexham and Chester.

Anyway, back to Staffordshire and the original Staffs classico must surely be Wolves v West Brom I would have thought.

Comment

For some reason this fact passed me by but Somerset's paucity of higher level football teams means that the two top teams are us and Yeovil. Now that they are now down in the National and Weston Super Mare are down in the Southern, that derby could happen again soon. I always thought that long-term City supporters aversion for Yeovil was overplayed compared to, say, Chippenham but it makes more sense now.

Comment

In the republic of Ireland there's only two counties outside Dublin with more one league club and Cork city v Cobh Ramblers doesn't count. At the moment the Louth derby between Dundalk and Drogheda is in abeyance because of the latter's relative crapness but when they're evenly matched it can get tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                Anyway, back to Staffordshire and the original Staffs classico must surely be Wolves v West Brom I would have thought.
                                Good points otherwise Sean, but WBA v. West Brom is the 'Black Country' derby, not Staffs. Wolves and Stoke the two biggest clubs in that respect probably?

Comment

Would T'Classico between Burnley and Blackburn be the one for Lancashire?

I can't think of anything better. Manchester clubs don't count. And one of them is in Cheshire anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post

Good points otherwise Sean, but WBA v. West Brom is the 'Black Country' derby, not Staffs. Wolves and Stoke the two biggest clubs in that respect probably?
                                    West Bromwich and Wolverhampton were both in the old boundary of Staffordshire before part of it was annexed into the West Midlands, so can be considered to be a Staffs derby as well as the Black Country derby. To be honest I don't think Wolves fans are that arsed about Stoke to be fair.

Comment

Norfolk: Gorleston v Great Yarmouth I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

West Bromwich and Wolverhampton were both in the old boundary of Staffordshire before part of it was annexed into the West Midlands, so can be considered to be a Staffs derby as well as the Black Country derby. To be honest I don't think Wolves fans are that arsed about Stoke to be fair.
                                        Fair enough, hadn't realised West Bromwich had even been in Staffordshire.

Assumed that being south of Dudley(formerly Worcestershire) it had previously belonged elsewhere.

Comment

El Salopico would be Shrewsbury v Telford. Met once at league level in the conference 2003-04 before Telford went bust. Meet regularly in the Shropshire Senior Cup final (but not this year as it's Shrewsbury v Whitchurch Allport). Lots of mutual abuse on Facebook, rude songs at matches and malarkey like hanging up insulting banners on the M54 bridges to mock the returning buses of Shrewsbury fans after another Wembley defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                            For some reason this fact passed me by but Somerset's paucity of higher level football teams means that the two top teams are us and Yeovil. Now that they are now down in the National and Weston Super Mare are down in the Southern, that derby could happen again soon. I always thought that long-term City supporters aversion for Yeovil was overplayed compared to, say, Chippenham but it makes more sense now.
                                            Back in the day, it was Yeovil and Minehead. When Wimbledon joined the league, Minehead were runners-up. Yeovil's travelling mob were more in evidence at Lord's finals, in Somerset's golden age ("Joel, Joel ...").

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                              SDerbyshire is a tricky one. Wayne Rooney's Derby County and Chesterfield are the biggest clubs but they rarely meet competitively and both their main rivals are all the way over in Nottinghamshire. Neither do either of them ever encounter Alfreton Town. After that you're down to Belper Town, Buxton, Ilkeston Town, Matlock Town and Mickelover Sports. I went to Matlock - Mickelover a couple of years back and fair to say it wasn't exactly a cauldron of seething rivalry and hatred.
                                              Matlock Town and Buxton have been in the same division for a while and I've been at a few of their Boxing Day meetings in recent years. Not exactly seething encounters, but they do tend to be feisty on the pitch and draw a big crowd with pockets of singers/chanters etc.

Comment

In West Sussex, its probably Worthing vs Bognor Regis Town. There is always a banner on display at Worthing games declaring 'I'd rather be a Rebel than a Rock'

The county's big boys, Crawley, have long been trying to find someone to have a rivalry with but nobody's really interested. It may have been Horsham back in non-league days but now they seem to be getting on nicely, with Crawley currently using Horsham's brand new stadium as their training ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                  Would T'Classico between Burnley and Blackburn be the one for Lancashire?

I can't think of anything better. Manchester clubs don't count. And one of them is in Cheshire anyway.
                                                  Everton & Liverpool? But what boundaries are we talking about? As if current Lancashire, only Blackpool v. Preston comes close to the B & B fixture?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X