No announcement yet.

Tickets and programmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a matter of interest which programmes are you missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
      As a matter of interest which programmes are you missing?
      Swindon v Boro 97-98
      Reading v Boro (League, not League Cup) 97-98
      Hendon v Margate FA Cup 99-00
      Tooting and Mitcham v Slough FA Cup 09-10

All sold out before I could purchase one. And I tried TMT's tactic of hanging around after, but to no avail, though it did work at one game I went to. And I guess I could try harder. I know one serious collector who checks ebay every day looking for stuff he doesn't have.

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a national football programme archive somewhere. If there was that would solve the problem of where to donate all this stuff.

Comment

I've only rarely bought programmes; I didn't even buy them when I was writing for them...

Comment

I recently forked out over £6,000 to add three programmes I needed to my collection

(Not as insane as it sounds - I had all of the other programmes included in the purchase which I was able to sell for about £5000 - meaning the net spend was only about £1500)

I appreciate that "only £1500" may be a bit more than most people would spend on some old programmes, particularly when the three programmes I was after were for games which didn't even take place
            Last edited by colchestersid; 19-09-2019, 21:05.

Comment

I have hundreds of Bohemians programmes that will just go to recycling when I'm gone, as for tickets, last Saturday Dublin Gaelic football team won a never done before 5 in a row, on Monday I threw my ticket in the recycling bin with the other stuff I've used, no interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                I used to be a bit fanatical about getting programmes when I was a kid, realised that it was becoming a problem and have barely bought one since and usually give them away when I do.

I always hang onto tickets for everything - football games, the cinema, tourist attractions, the lot. But they're all just bunged into large envelopes in no sort of order.
                Same for me. I have a programme from every game I attended up until the age of about 15/16, then I missed one game because it was more expensive than I'd been expecting and I literally didn't have enough money on my person to get one, and after that I suddenly wasn't bothered anymore. There was definitely something psychological about when programmes started regularly hitting the £2 mark that really put me off buying them.

I've never knowingly thrown away a ticket stub from any event I've been at, drawing the line only at cinema tickets. I started mounting some in photo albums, but then gave up on that when I realised how many albums I would need. They're mostly now stuffed into a Famous Grouse gift tin, which now needs several strong elastic bands to keep it closed.

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
                  I recently forked out over £6,000 to add three programmes I needed to my collection

(Not as insane as it sounds - I had all of the other programmes included in the purchase which I was able to sell for about £5000 - meaning the net spend was only about £1500)

I appreciate that "only £1500" may be a bit more than most people would spend on some old programmes, particularly when the three programmes I was after were for games which didn't even take place
                  Go on, I'm intrigued- what were the three games?

On a wider note, reading this thread I'm delighted to find that I'm not the only one who keeps all this stuff. I have an unspecified number of programmes in boxes in the loft, and although I do throw tickets away I usually stick them away somewhere and forget about them- in tins, drawers, used as bookmarks, and so on. There's a small frisson of excitement when I run across one unexpectedly at the back of a drawer (most recently, Motorhead at Birmingham Odeon in 1986).

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post

On a wider note, reading this thread I'm delighted to find that I'm not the only one who keeps all this stuff. I have an unspecified number of programmes in boxes in the loft, and although I do throw tickets away I usually stick them away somewhere and forget about them- in tins, drawers, used as bookmarks, and so on. There's a small frisson of excitement when I run across one unexpectedly at the back of a drawer (most recently, Motorhead at Birmingham Odeon in 1986).
                    2-2 draw, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post

Same for me. I have a programme from every game I attended up until the age of about 15/16, then I missed one game because it was more expensive than I'd been expecting and I literally didn't have enough money on my person to get one, and after that I suddenly wasn't bothered anymore. There was definitely something psychological about when programmes started regularly hitting the £2 mark that really put me off buying them.

I've never knowingly thrown away a ticket stub from any event I've been at, drawing the line only at cinema tickets. I started mounting some in photo albums, but then gave up on that when I realised how many albums I would need. They're mostly now stuffed into a Famous Grouse gift tin, which now needs several strong elastic bands to keep it closed.

I've been stuffing old tickets in envelopes for decades now without ever going back to look through them. That's a treat that I'm saving for some unspecified point in the future. When I do it's going to be like a nostalgia bomb going off, with some forgotten gigs, games and events suddenly brought to mind. I've got a pretty good memory but there are one or two musical acts that I really do need to confirm I saw and some other gigs that I definitely went to but am struggling to date, even approximately.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

2-2 draw, right?
                        Yeah, Phil Taylor thought he'd got a late winner but it was disallowed on VBR

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post

West Ham v Charlton 13th October 1958 - postponed Southern Floodlit Cup game

West Ham v Luton 17th January 1959 - postponed League game

West Ham v Fulham 14th January 1963 - postponed FA Cup game

The volumes I bought also included another rare programme from 1963 - as I already had one of these I sold my spare to another West Ham collector for over £3,000

Comment

Working...
                          X