Tickets and programmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tickets and programmes

I was just wondering if there are many other collectors on here.

I tend to keep my tickets (when one is issued - it infuriates me, to be honest, when one isn't) but a programme will do if a ticket is not given. I do keep programmes other than that be they tend to be for big cup/promotion mates, specials e.g Wrexham's 150th anniversary, new grounds or derbies and foreign games.

I file my tickets away in a folder to keep them in best condition possible. Shameless plug below for anyone curious (sad) enough to want to have a look and even compare.

What does everybody else do?
    Tumblr is a place to express yourself, discover yourself, and bond over the stuff you love. It's where your interests connect you with your people.

if im at a team ive never been to before I try to get a programme,otherwise I don't bother unless its somewhere I know does a good one eg Cowdenbeath or clyde in Scotland
    I do like to have a ticket and am prepared to be inconvenienced to get one, iwouldnt use a print at home option unless id no alternative
    if im abroad and seeing a game I try and get a scarf also

Comment

I used to be a bit fanatical about getting programmes when I was a kid, realised that it was becoming a problem and have barely bought one since and usually give them away when I do.

I always hang onto tickets for everything - football games, the cinema, tourist attractions, the lot. But they're all just bunged into large envelopes in no sort of order.

Comment

I must have fifty years worth of tickets in various envelopes, boxes, etc

Comment

The question worth asking is: who the fuck in my family is going to be interested in all this shit after I die, or are they just going to tip it into the skip? I've kept tickets from the 2006 World Cup, but that's it - not even sure why I've bothered. Recently culled my programmes to keep them to games I've actually been to (bar the odd cup final - a family friend used to bring me the League Cup final programme every year because they always went down for it), then dumped them in the cellar.

Comment

I have quite a few tickets and programmes but gave some of the former to a man who is a real collector, helping him to fill a few gaps in his admirable collection (one he was missing was Crystal Lalace - Levski Sofia played at El Molinón in 1991):

http://www.ticketscollector.com/index.php/home-2

In return he sent me this rather handsome book:

https://imagessl4.casadellibro.com/a...8494861864.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
              I have quite a few tickets and programmes but gave some of the former to a man who is a real collector, helping him to fill a few gaps in his admirable collection (one he was missing was Crystal Lalace - Levski Sofia played at El Molinón in 1991):

http://www.ticketscollector.com/index.php/home-2

In return he sent me this rather handsome book:

https://imagessl4.casadellibro.com/a...8494861864.jpg
              He has a Santutxu and a Barakaldo ticket. Brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                The question worth asking is: who the fuck in my family is going to be interested in all this shit after I die, or are they just going to tip it into the skip? I've kept tickets from the 2006 World Cup, but that's it - not even sure why I've bothered. Recently culled my programmes to keep them to games I've actually been to (bar the odd cup final - a family friend used to bring me the League Cup final programme every year because they always went down for it), then dumped them in the cellar.
                It is kept in 3 or 4 folders (including my programmes) if they don't want it when I die, they can give it to someone who does or throw it away. I won't be around to know but I will have enjoyed having them while I was alive just as my grandfather did with his medals and buttons collection.

Comment

Originally posted by steviecowden View Post
                  if im at a team ive never been to before I try to get a programme,otherwise I don't bother unless its somewhere I know does a good one eg Cowdenbeath or clyde in Scotland
                  I do like to have a ticket and am prepared to be inconvenienced to get one, i wouldnt use a print at home option unless id no alternative
                  if im abroad and seeing a game I try and get a scarf also
                  Yes, print and home tickets are the pits

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post

He has a Santutxu and a Barakaldo ticket. Brilliant.
                    Do or did you live in this region?

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post

Yes, print and home tickets are the pits
                      Plus one

Comment

And yet still better than "smartphone only", which has become a thing over here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Do or did you live in this region?

Yes, I lived in Santutxu in Bilbao. If I wasn't watching Santutxu (I had a season ticket) I used to go watch Baraka.

Comment

I stopped buying programmes ages ago but now wish I hadn't as they would have helped me enter the games I've been to on to Groundhopper. There are a large number that I have no proof or recollection of having attended.

In recent years it has been easier as I have kept most of my ticket stubs, though not the wretched print at home ones.

Comment

I used to have literally hundreds of programmes from Norwich home and away matches, but flogged the majority before I moved up north. I have now kept it down to rarities and games that I most fondly remember. The size, weight and storage just became too much in the end.

Ticket stubs are another matter. There's not much resale value and nobody else who may want them, but they provide hugely nostalgic memories and souvenirs of grounds I have been to (also gigs, museums, etc). Plus space is not an issue with keeping them.

My ticket collection obsession peaked at Stockport twenty years back. I seriously considered getting a pricier away seat in advance rather than a cheap pay on the day terrace ticket because the former would guarantee a stub. Looking back, I actually wish I'd done it.
                              Last edited by Arturo; 16-09-2019, 07:18.

Comment

Until a couple of seasons ago I always bought a programme (if there was one available), but then Carlisle had a season where they produced this awful thing that unfolded into some sort of poster, so I didn't buy any more that season and only bought them at away games, neutral matches etc. I still generally buy one, but having broken the obsession it no longer makes me feel like the day is incomplete if I don't. They're in boxes, in date order - two separate filing systems, one for Carlisle games and one for everything else. As cantagalo noted, this has been invaluable as I retrospectively update my games onto the Groundhopper app, I'm finding there's loads where I've absolutely no memory of attending.

Ticket stubs - used to keep them, and still do for European away ties and occasional UK aways where I've got one, but happy to do print at home if it saves me on postage. They're stuffed into folders and randomly piled up in the back bedroom.

Comment

Further to what imp said upthread, my dad always bought a programme and would often take a newspaper clipping of a game he had been to, plus other random ephemera. All these are stored in envelope files. We need to decide what to do with them, especially if mum decides to move. I don't think anyone in the family will want them but it feels almost like a betrayal to chuck them.

Comment

I stopped buying home programmes at the end of the last millennium. We boycotted the official programme in the last season at Selhurst anyway, and made our own. I guess I might well have bought that. After that I didn't need to, and after that, well, they are really boring right? I mean, maybe in an away programme you might get some obscure piece that's of interest, every now and then. In non-league, anyway. But home programmes? Y.A.W.N.

Now I don't go, so it doesn't arise.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      Further to what imp said upthread, my dad always bought a programme and would often take a newspaper clipping of a game he had been to, plus other random ephemera. All these are stored in envelope files. We need to decide what to do with them, especially if mum decides to move. I don't think anyone in the family will want them but it feels almost like a betrayal to chuck them.
                                      Scan or photograph - store on a portable hard drive. Mind you, I did that with all my dad's old slides, then stored them in the attic when Mrs. VT wasn't looking.

Comment

(I've still not managed to bin off all my programmes from before, mind)

Comment

I still haven't found the way to tell my partner that my dad's huge programme collection will become mine when the time comes. She's already done a fair amount of tutting at my collection of 23 from last season, which was a massively reduced publication.

Comment

I've a lot of programmes. Something like 1,800 Dundalk, and maybe the same number of miscellaneous. Sometimes I think I'll stop buying away programmes, but haven't broken the habit yet.
                                            Tickets where available. I've also got a couple of hudred books, tons of random tat, a study/library/archive and a long-suffering indulgent wife

Comment

I always buy a programme. When the clubs sell out before I can procure one I end up hanging around at the end to see if anyone has left one. My first game with only an online programme was Queen's Park v Clyde. They do it at Carshalton as well and it felt like my visit was somehow incomplete. I printed off the online programme when I got home, but it isn't the same.

Have over a thousand rugby league programmes under my bed and ended up creating a website for them. A niche hobby...

I fear that my house will become something like that of the Collyer brothers in later life...

Comment

I had a massive clear out (via eBay) of footie ephemera a couple of years back. The biggest seller was an unused MLS 1996 Cup Final Ticket which sold for $300+ after a great bidding war. I have two more of these which I plan on selling later this year. I got rid of all my MLS stuff 1996-2007 - which was about 6 box loads of programmes, press stuff, fanzines etc. Most of the old stuff sold for very decent prices. I still have all my football programmes and books from the UK. Unsure as to what to do, as I have mentioned before on other threads, my family of wife and daughter have no interest in soccer. Do I sell now whilst I have my full faculties or leave it all in the attic (I have no room downstairs to store it for occasional dips into). I had thought of scanning the lot and uploading to a blog - but of course that would mean removing staples from everything, which is basically destroying them. I also have 20 years of speedway programmes,at least 100 speedway books. Again, scan the programmes and bin them ? I figure all the scanning could me occupied for a few months when I retire !

Comment

I want a programme for each game I attend but there have been occasions when I haven't managed to get one for whatever reason. It was in double figures but I've managed to get it down to four, though I accept that two of those I'm unlikely to get. Having said that, there was one I never thought I'd get my hands on but one popped up on ebay and I was able to obtain it. I only collect games I've been to, and I hold on to the ticket as well, if there is one. I agree with others about print@home.

Storage is a bit of a problem so I'm pleased with some of the smaller giveaways you get at some German games these days for example. As someone said, there's a bit of an empty feeling when you don't get one, even if one is not published as was the case at Wattenscheid on Monday (see another thread). There was a nice proper ticket, mind.

Oh, and I still have a pile of old Chelsea programmes from the late 50s to early 70s I kept when a Chelsea-supporting friend died three years ago (also see another thread). I intend to do something other than ditch them when I get round to it, but if anyone's interested in giving all or some of them a good home then let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X