Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bitterest rivalry in English football - not the one you'd expect

Number two doesn't surprise me. Top 30 listed here

The biggest rivalry in English football? Portsmouth vs Southampton...
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 09-09-2019, 10:11.

Forest Green Rovers v Cheltenham Town is of course the big one with crowds sometimes reaching four figures.

Comment

‘ranked by the cumulative dislike of both teams involved.’
      What does that actually mean?

Comment

It says 'a study', but I couldn't see any further detail on the source.

It seems to be more about the lack of available options for local rivalry.

Comment

Yep, I don't think that there's a great deal of 'science' at work here.

Comment

Accrington V Morecambe's in there but not MIllwall V West Ham.

OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
              Forest Green Rovers v Cheltenham Town is of course the big one with crowds sometimes reaching four figures.
              I know you're taking the piss - but as a Cheltenham fan I can confirm that FGR are not our biggest rivals

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

I know you're taking the piss - but as a Cheltenham fan I can confirm that FGR are not our biggest rivals
                Gloucester City are bigger/more historic rivals no?

Comment

That's correct.

In fairness, it's been that long since we played them in a competitive fixture (22 years) that you'd be forgiven for thinking of FGR as our main rivals as they're the ones that the kids have latched onto.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                    It says 'a study', but I couldn't see any further detail on the source.

It seems to be more about the lack of available options for local rivalry.
                    There's a bit more detail on one of the links:

https://www.givemesport.com/1500300-...ampaign=manual

Putting two and two together I think it's a case of which clubs correlate with each other the most, so 66% of Accrington respondents rate Morecambe as rivals, and 89% of Morecambe respondents rate Accrington as rivals, so they correlate more strongly than say London clubs who have more local rivalries.

Leaving aside the population used to determine this (can only guess it is some survey that people filled in to get a free bet on an online bookie, or something), then this number crunching doesn't prove the 'bitterest' rivalry.

And to underline how much bollocks it is, Carlisle's supposed biggest rivals are said to be Boro (who we last played in a competitive match in 1987, I think) with 69%, Preston and Sunderland tied on 54%, Newcastle on 46% and Morecambe on 31%, I'm sure last time one these came round Hartlepool were deemed our biggest rival.

And proving the "no-one dislikes us (much), and we don't care" theory, only Morecambe have named us, and even then only in 4th place.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                      That's correct.

In fairness, it's been that long since we played them in a competitive fixture (22 years) that you'd be forgiven for thinking of FGR as our main rivals as they're the ones that the kids have latched onto.
                      Wow, that long. I do feel for Gloucester City fans, trying to exist in a rugby mad city and having to ground share (until recently?) with their rivals.

Comment

They're now groundsharing outside of the county in Evesham.

Their story is quite fascinating - from their first move to Meadow Park up to the present day. They hope to return there next season and are talking of going full-time - which is madness.

Comment

I'm as surprised as everybody else by this, although I can confirm that the atmosphere surrounding Saints vs Pompey games has become pretty fucking toxic in recent times - they shat on our seats the last time they came to St Mary's.

Comment

Where's Caernarfon - Bangor?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                              Where's Caernarfon - Bangor?
                              Wales.

Comment

The Institute for Studies

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

Wales.
                                  See also Wrexham Chester

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

Wales.
                                    They really should have included the Welsh teams in the English pyramid... a top 30 without us v Chester or Swansea v Cardiff looks a bit odd. Both usually feature in similar lists.

Heh - bit of a cross post with BLT there.

Comment

Cardiff v Swansea is in there. The Merseyside Derby isn't, reinforcing perhaps its reputation as "the friendly derby".

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

There's a bit more detail on one of the links:

https://www.givemesport.com/1500300-...ampaign=manual
                                        Certainly some dubious stuff there. Have Salford even played a competitive game against who they think their biggest rivals are? About one in five of Bristol team fans are blissfully unaware of the cross city rivalry? And one in six in Sheffield?

Comment

Do Liverpool really consider Chelsea rivals in any sense?

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                            Do Liverpool really consider Chelsea rivals in any sense?
                                            The Shit-on-a-stick-ico

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                              And proving the "no-one dislikes us (much), and we don't care" theory, only Morecambe have named us, and even then only in 4th place.
                                              I already spent too much time looking at this the first time and now I've wasted more time on it and noticed we also creep into the top 5 for Boro, which is a surprise. I'd expected (as someone suggested earlier) that this was skewed towards what excitable younger supporters think, but as I said before we haven't played them competitively in years - although those growing up following Carlisle in the period from mid 60s to the mid to late 80s would have considered Boro close rivals as we often played them in that period, and it's geographically close for us. Ditto Sunderland actually. But wouldn't have thought we'd appear on either of their radars these days.

There could be some small sample anomalies elsewhere - I'm surprised at e.g. Newcastle/Villa, Sunderland/Coventry and /Portsmouth, Norwich/Boro and /Wolves. Suppose some of these could stem from specific games and incidents, which would explain Bournemouth/Leeds (albeit again with long memories involved).

Comment

Saints / Pompey is pretty toxic. I'll regularly say I hate Fulham, and I'll chant it for 90 minutes, but I don't really hate them at all, they're just the team that I'm happiest if we beat (although Birmingham run them close sometimes). But in Southampton there seems to be genuine hate, of the frothing at the mouth variety, if their name is mentioned, and it comes back at least as strong.

The strike-breaking history alluded to in the article (of which both sides accuse the other) is an excuse, not a reason - it's just two towns that are the only major towns in the area and dislike the other for everything, not just football (the crowing when Southampton got the IKEA instead of Portsmouth was quite something).

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                                  the crowing when Southampton got the IKEA instead of Portsmouth was quite something
                                                  From which side? Was it a celebration of the other lot being lumbered with it??

Comment

Working...
                                                  X