Erith, Wick & Fire (Utd): The 2019-20 FA Vase Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erith, Wick & Fire (Utd): The 2019-20 FA Vase Thread

The FA Vase gets under way this weekend with the first qualifying round.

There seems to have been an increasing number of teams from Step 7 entering the competition in recent years; is this due to an adjusted format, or teams higher up the pyramid choosing not to enter? Or had I just never noticed previously?

It does introduce you to a host of new (potentially fictional) team names though... Pitshanger Dynamo surely should be facing Streatham Rovers

AFC Spelthorne vs Spelthorne Sports. The localest derby of all.

Comment

I genuinely had to spend five minutes looking that up.

Brilliant thread title, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
        AFC Spelthorne vs Spelthorne Sports. The localest derby of all.
        Are they the same club?

Comment

AFC are effectively Sports' reserve side.

The derby is known locally as 'Spel Clásico'.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 29-08-2019, 13:32.

Comment

Superb thread title, seconded.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
              ...known locally as 'Spel Clásico'.
              In that you've just called it that now, on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                Superb thread title, seconded.
                I was due one after my confusingly named FA Cup thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post

In that you've just called it that now, on this thread.
                  Er, yes. Though I am quite local to their ground, in my defence.

Comment

I once saw an FA Vase semi-final involving Fleetwood at Exmouth Town. 1983 or thereabouts. They've come on a bit since (Fleetwood, not Exmouth).
                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 29-08-2019, 14:11.

Comment

There seems to have been an increasing number of teams from Step 7 entering the competition in recent years; is this due to an adjusted format, or teams higher up the pyramid choosing not to enter? Or had I just never noticed previously?

It does introduce you to a host of new (potentially fictional) team names though... Pitshanger Dynamo surely should be facing Streatham Rovers
                      Dynamo have been mentioned before...

Comment

The FA's website doesn't seem to want to show full results today, so hard to pick out any stand outs from the 1st qualifying round.

I watched Ilford go out to Enfield with a bit of whimper on a match spoiled by a rock-hard pitch.

Elsewhere in the South East, there was a 5-5 draw on the Kent coast between Lydd Town and Raynes Park.

That went to extra-time, where as the all NCEL match between Worsborough Bridge and Hall Road Rangers managed to cram in 11 goals in 90 minutes; the visitors, HRR, winning 6-5!

Comment

The Wiki page for this year's Vase suggests that some drawn games have gone to replays, whereas others were settled on the day with penalties. How does that work? Is it an agreement (or lack thereof) between the two clubs?

Comment

Yes, clubs can agree beforehand to settle ties on the day with penalties, if necessary.

Comment

That applies in the FA trophy as well, but not in the FA Cup.

Comment

Not saying if it should be or it shouldna, but the ties that took place over the weekend were in the 1st Round Qualifying, not the 1st Qualifying Round.

Perhaps more Step 7 clubs have access to grounds with the requisite facilities than previously was the case? In my experience they love the idea of competing in a national FA competition, even if their participation normally turns out to be brief.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  AFC are effectively Sports' reserve side.

The derby is known locally as 'Spel Clásico'.
                                  Ha ha.

Not bad by your standards...

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post

Not saying if it should be or it shouldna, but the ties that took place over the weekend were in the 1st Round Qualifying, not the 1st Qualifying Round.
                                    Potato, Potaato.

Comment

Litherland REMYCA v Glasshoughton Welfare yesterday sounds like it was quite a match. It finished 6-3 to the visitors but the main feature was REMYCA being reduced to seven men for a period during extra time as they had two players sent off and another two sin binned. Having heard REMYCA at Sheffield last week the latter event doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Comment

About 18 months ago I went to watch Falmouth Town with a mate who lives down there. Enjoyable afternoon with a crowd of 100 at most, mainly made up of older men. A highlight of the game being when the wife of the opposition goalkeeper came round to have a go at two pensioners who'd been giving him grief.

Anyway, not sure what's changed at the club since then, but it was certainly a lot livelier yesterday for their FA Vase win over Longlevens.

Comment

Working...
                                        X