Most people in favour of No Deal - The FA Cup 2019-20 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Double jeopardy rule. You don't get sent off if you concede a penalty any more.
    Only if there is a genuine attempt to play the ball. I didn't think there was anything like one in this case but the referee was apparently heard saying that he/VAR did to Arteta at half time.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-08-2020, 17:59.

Comment

We can call that one against the run of play, fair to say!

Comment

Lovely finish

Comment

That's a very, very tidy finish.

Comment

Lovely goal. Aubameyang danced that one in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Only if there is a genuine attempt to play the ball. I didn't think there was anything like one in this case but the referee was apparently heard saying that he/VAR did to Arteta at half time.
              If this were not true, as many Arsenal fans have apparently pointed out, Luiz wouldn't have been sent off recently v Man City..

Comment

Great goal and the first shot on target from either side since Aubameyang's penalty forty minutes earlier. It had been a dreadful game since around the half hour mark.

Comment

That's another one of those vague things where you have to be able to mind-read the person's intent. I can see why refs wouldn't want to issue a red card unless it was utterly blatant. So generally they follow the yellowcardandpenalty combo.

Comment

Not sure that was much of a second yellow card there

Comment

Kovacic off after a decidedly soft second yellow.

Comment

That's another one of those vague things where you have to be able to mind-read the person's intent. I can see why refs wouldn't want to issue a red card unless it was utterly blatant. So generally they follow the yellowcardandpenalty combo.
                        I agree it *can* be vague but it seemed pretty clear cut in this instance, given Azpilicueta ignored the ball and pulled the man down.

Comment

I can't accept it's vague when the player makes literally no attempt whatsoever at any point throughout a series of foul actions to move his foot or head towards the ball in a manner intended to strike it. To suggest he did is utterly refusing to see what is in front of the eyes.

Comment

Just tuned in to see Aubameyang's nice goal and the joke yellow/red.

Also whatever Arsenal's numbering font is about.

Comment

Not sure that was much of a second yellow card there
                              Now this I would agree with you on. I hope he wasn't trying to make up for the penalty incident.

Comment

So we reach the FA Cup final and suddenly VAR isn’t required at all? Okay...

Comment

Originally posted by statto99 View Post

I can't accept it's vague when the player makes literally no attempt whatsoever at any point throughout a series of foul actions to move his foot or head towards the ball in a manner intended to strike it. To suggest he did is utterly refusing to see what is in front of the eyes.
                                  I wasn't saying the foul was vague, more the wording of the rule (if it's phrased as Ray said). It looked like a tussle that turned into a foul to me.

The Kovotic red card makes up for it anyway.

Comment

Now this I would agree with you on. I hope he wasn't trying to make up for the penalty incident.
                                    Ha! We cross posted.

I don't think he was making up for it.

Comment

I wasn't saying the foul was vague, more the wording of the rule (if it's phrased as Ray said). It looked like a tussle that turned into a foul to me.

The Kovotic red card makes up for it anyway.
                                      Apologies, then. I would agree that the wording of he rule appears to be unhelpful and also that refs are rather too inclined (IMHO) to look for a reason not to give the red.

Comment

Apologies, then. I would agree that the wording of he rule appears to be unhelpful and also that refs are rather too inclined (IMHO) to look for a reason not to give the red.
                                        If it had been a straight red if would have been reviewed by VAR and then, well, you may as well spin a wheel and see what the fuck the needle lands on. They would probably have adjudged it to have occurred outside the area and that the Arsenal player started it.

I have some sympathy with the ref. There's the double jeopardy rule. There's the knowing that VAR could over-rule you. There's the ability to determine genuineness and intent without being endowed with psychic powers. Given all that - and it being a FA Cup final - the yellow is the sensible option.

Edit: and karma caught up with Cesar within ten minutes anyway

Comment

Scant sympathy here, I'm afraid. It's clear Azpilicueta never makes any even remote attempt to play the ball.

Comment

If it had been a straight red if would have been reviewed by VAR and then, well, you may as well spin a wheel and see what the fuck the needle lands on. They would probably have adjudged it to have occurred outside the area and that the Arsenal player started it.

I have some sympathy with the ref. There's the double jeopardy rule. There's the knowing that VAR could over-rule you. There's the ability to determine genuineness and intent without being endowed with psychic powers. Given all that - and it being a FA Cup final - the yellow is the sensible option.
                                            You are tying yourself in knots here and much of the above is incorrect :

- the incident *was* checked by VAR

- it was absolutely obvious there was no attempt to play the ball from Azpilicueta, there was no need to judge intent

- the rules don't change because it's a Cup Final!

Comment

I think we can say, though, that the yellow/red thing now seems rather insignificant...

Comment

Another injury for Chelsea. At this rate Lampard might have to pick himself for Bayern away on Friday.

Comment

Fucking Arsenal.

Comment

You are tying yourself in knots here and much of the above is incorrect :

- the incident *was* checked by VAR

- it was absolutely obvious there was no attempt to play the ball from Azpilicueta, there was no need to judge intent

- the rules don't change because it's a Cup Final!

Cheers Ray, so VAR reviewed it and didn't overrule the yellow. Well that clears that up.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X