No announcement yet.

Will having a VARiety of threads work? - televised football 10-12 Aug 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a penalty was scored the only way it would be retaken is if there was encroachment by an attacker.

As a former member of the goalkeeping union my greater than 50% penalty saving record would have been severely hampered with VAR helping encroachment detection.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      That VAR Derangement Syndrome is acting up again.
      It's the least of my worries, frankly.

Comment

That's exactly why I am concerned

Comment

Direct some of that concern towards the tree which appears to be still trying to gain ingress, there's a love.

Comment

Just popped in to remind everyone that VAR is an awful idea, done terribly.

As you were.

Comment

Danny Rose continuing his execrable form from the tail end of last season and being regularly beaten leaving too much space on the inside.

Has Ben Davies not recovered from his groin operation yet and where is Sessegnon?

Comment

Spurs are guaranteed to lose as I plumped for them in the "Last Man Standing" comp at work. Another tenner well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  Hmm, unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure I understand the problem with this. A 'goal' - assuming it's legit - must always trump any foul against, or otherwise perceived disadvantage to, the attacking side, such as goalkeeper encroachment during a pen. And vice versa. (This isn't a 'VAR thing' anyway - it's just a ruling that almost always gets ignored. Similarly if there's a foul on an attacker and he scores anyway, the goal wouldn't - or shouldn't - be disallowed to award the attacking team a free-kick/pen.)

At worst the ruling is pernickety, I'd say - but you can apply that description to any number of laws.
                  Oh, it all makes "sense", it's just shit and it isn't football. (I'm not ranting at you Jah, just the whole bollocks of it all.)

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                    Spurs are guaranteed to lose as I plumped for them in the "Last Man Standing" comp at work. Another tenner well spent.
                    Or not.

Anyway, I agree with ChrisJ. I also appear to agree with TonTon, which happens a lot, although I'm not sure he'd like that somehow.

Comment

I did something similar. I was consoling myself that the knowledge that the lost life could be set against Spurs' season being over after one game, and all the headlines tomorrow would have been "Last train to Cucksville." As spurs came to terms with bottling the title. You know the usual run of such things.

Comment

So. VAR steps in to give Aguero a retake of his saved penalty after Fabianski left his line before it was taken. Duly retaken, Fabianski off his line again, no retake because it was scored.

Unless I'm missing something fundamental here, this seems to be - and I'll use the technical term - fucking stupid.
                        You are missing something here - why would you punish the team that didn't offend? It's just an advantage played, like in many other situations in the game.

Er, as others have said. Carry on.

Comment

I had Kun as fantasy captain so the retake and successful conversion represented a 12 point swing in my favour. Phew.

Comment

First MOTD of the season. Lineker not earning his salary this evening, referring to the wrong Sheffield.

Alan Shearer and Ian Wright are execrable pundits.

Comment

Son, who has a greater understanding of social media shite than I reckons that the Lineker Sheffield slip was deliberate following some on-line bollox earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                Has Ben Davies not recovered from his groin operation yet and where is Sessegnon?
                                The latter had a minor hamstring issue.

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                I did something similar. I was consoling myself that the knowledge that the lost life could be set against Spurs' season being over after one game, and all the headlines tomorrow would have been "Last train to Cucksville." As spurs came to terms with bottling the title. You know the usual run of such things.
                                Good old cut-n’’-paste social media is alive and well for another season, I see.

Comment

Good old cut-n’’-paste social media is alive and well for another season, I see.

Don't forget the actual media. Oh the discussion of how Spurs' season was now over would rage and rage, until one or both of man utd and chelsea dropped points in their game later today And then it would be them, with spurs forgotten. Unless it is Frank that loses in which case the newspapers will blame the club for not buying him anyone (yes I know)

Comment

But the ‘actual’ media - for all the nonsense they do spout - don’t tend to take the ‘Spurs have bottled the PL title’-line. For the simple reason that Spurs have never really been in a position to win it. (The last time we were actually top was for one week in September 2014.)

In my experience, that perpetual and inaccurate taunt is used solely by anonymous keyboard drones.

Comment

Well, my unseemly boosterism seen on the PL thread has dissipated, but I'm still looking forward to watching Leicester this season. Berbaslug will be pleased to hear that Choudhury is in today's team.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                        Game management with subs, dead ball situations and so on is endemic nowadays. Do Sunday league teams do it?
                                        It happened in the 6 a side league I played in until recently, when an opposition team was doing it in a half hour game whilst beating is 5-0 I thought I can’t be bothered with this anymore and we just play casually between friends now

Comment

Mkhitaryan.

Rightly booked.

Waving finger at referee.

Same old Arsenal.

ALWAYS cheating.

Comment

Half time 0-0, as befits two Proper Adult Teams with Ambitions of Breaking Into The Top Six. Leicester have had slightly the better of it without creating any real chances.

Comment

That was one of the grimmest halves of PL football that I think I have ever seen.

Comment

And apparently according to the tellyscreen overvoice, Newcastle United will be happier with 0-0 at half time.

Despite being at home, and having less of the possession albeit with about as many chances.

Against Arsenal.

Ok. A team tipped to challenge, but really, if you want to regard yourselves as one of the "big beasts", you need to do better.

Comment

All Wolves in the second half and now they've taken the lead.

Comment

Oh, it's been VARred off. Not sure why.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X