Will having a VARiety of threads work? - televised football 10-12 Aug 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will having a VARiety of threads work? - televised football 10-12 Aug 2019

I started the Premier League thread last season and this, because not having a standalone thread meant there was nowhere to talk about it outside the weekend TV threads. But I believe that some people like weekend TV threads that throw all screened/streamed football in together, and I can see why. I didn't intend the PL thread to replace them, just provide somewhere for comment that didn't coincide with televised games. So maybe we could have both?

Manchester City are 2-0 up at West Ham in today's lunchtime PL fixture. Broadbridge Heath are 1-0 up at Punjab United (who are in Gravesend) in the FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round, on the BBC.

I like this idea, particularly given my geographic situation

3-0 City. They should be up by more on the run of play.

Comment

Does Foden have some attachment to 47?

He should have a more serious squad number

Comment

Bloody windy in Gravesend, and quite decent football considering. Heath just nearly got a second from a neat move, but the goalie saved at the striker's feet. They're still one up with about 7 minutes to go.
        Last edited by delicatemoth; 10-08-2019, 13:15.

Comment

Bloody is mate, where are you standing?

Comment

There are no words to describe how much I hate VAR.

Comment

Game management with subs, dead ball situations and so on is endemic nowadays. Do Sunday league teams do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                Bloody is mate, where are you standing?
                Sitting at home with my laptop and a cuppa. Looks like a good game to be at, though either the crowd is very quiet or the BBC have turned them right down.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                  There are no words to describe how much I hate VAR.
                  So. VAR steps in to give Aguero a retake of his saved penalty after Fabianski left his line before it was taken. Duly retaken, Fabianski off his line again, no retake because it was scored.

Unless I'm missing something fundamental here, this seems to be - and I'll use the technical term - fucking stupid.

Comment

Anyway, 5-0 City. Who had 5 in the sweep?

Comment

It is pretty quiet to be honest, but it's only a small crowd and what noise there is disappears with the wind. I'm currently stood behind the goal wearing a red jacket.

Comment

"This team which includes a plumber, an electrician, a builder, a teacher - there's an IT worker in there as well..." - all said as if these are the most exotic professions imaginable.

Punjab hit the post in stoppage time!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

So. VAR steps in to give Aguero a retake of his saved penalty after Fabianski left his line before it was taken. Duly retaken, Fabianski off his line again, no retake because it was scored.

Unless I'm missing something fundamental here, this seems to be - and I'll use the technical term - fucking stupid.
                          I don't think you're missing a thing.

Comment

Full time 0-1, hard luck Punjab. At least you're not West Ham, ouch.

Comment

It sort of makes sense to me, Fabianski had an unfair advantage being off his line to save, he again had an unfair advantage but Aguero scored so goal.
                              Didn't realise VAR was going this deep, we're going to see a fair few twice/thrice taken penalties, which used to only happen if the ref was being a dick.

Anyway, nice to see Liverpool tucked in second place behind Man City.

Comment

Yeah, it kinda makes sense, but if the infraction is "being off his goal line" then it has to be a retake whether it's scored or not, otherwise Aguero is then handed an advantage which is what we're presumably trying to remove from the process. It's a retake until the 'keeper stays on his line and it's either scored or saved, surely?

In truth it wouldn't have had any bearing on the game. West Ham were miles behind City in just about every department.

Comment

The problem isn't VAR, more the rule change. VAR gets the blame because its new and is subjected to kneejerk reactions.

Comment

Well, yes, probably. But in this case the system brought in to enforce the rules has manifestly not done so. Plus I'm not convinced by the rule change, FWIW.

I mean, I might as well be outside shouting into the 50kph wind, but y'know.

Comment

Also, jeanmid, I like the fact that your favourite biscuit is "Birmingham".

Comment

Aficionados of minor German grounds might enjoy the Konferenz feed of this afternoon's DFP Pokal matches.

All usual streaming warnings apply.

Comment

Hmm, unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure I understand the problem with this. A 'goal' - assuming it's legit - must always trump any foul against, or otherwise perceived disadvantage to, the attacking side, such as goalkeeper encroachment during a pen. And vice versa. (This isn't a 'VAR thing' anyway - it's just a ruling that almost always gets ignored. Similarly if there's a foul on an attacker and he scores anyway, the goal wouldn't - or shouldn't - be disallowed to award the attacking team a free-kick/pen.)

At worst the ruling is pernickety, I'd say - but you can apply that description to any number of laws.

Comment

Graun says the retake was because Declan Rice encroached.

Comment

As did the NBC commentary. That said, it looked as if there might have been marginal encroachment on the retake, but then Jah speaks for me on that larger point.

Comment

Ah, right. The BT footage seemed to focus purely on Fabianski leaving his line. Or so it seemed, I was distracted by a tree trying to get in through the window.

Comment

That VAR Derangement Syndrome is acting up again.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X