No announcement yet.

Will having a VARiety of threads work? - televised football 10-12 Aug 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zouma is a real typical Jose mourinho legacy. When he comes to a club, he likes them to find a young centre half who is huge and a super basic defender, who he uses in his squad as evidence that he uses young players, and he picks them instead of players that he has fallen out with to humiliate them. It's usually pretty difficult to move them on because they are often completely useless. Huth I think is the example from his first spell at chelsea. Zouma from his second and Eric bailly is the huge young centre half with toblerone shaped trotters that man utd have to find some way to dispose of.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
      That was a hopelessly ambitious line-up for Lampard to play at Old Trafford but props for giving it a go, even if it did blow up in his face. We'll be better when Rudiger is back and especially so when they reckon that Kante can last 90 minutes.
      what else was he supposed to do? They didn't even really over-commit for the second goal either. That was two teams struggling to come to terms with what they are supposed to be doing. The main difference is that man utd's front three have been playing together in some form since 2016, and the chelsea front three had never played together before. Also chelsea's failure to take one of their four good chances to equalize, really set up what happened next, because an equalizer would have completely altered the balance of that game.

Comment

Well, I think I might have risked Kante as a starter, but Lampard obviously knows his fitness situation much better than I do.

And that's unfair on Zouma. His form isn't great at present but there's nothing wrong in having a strong and pacy CB who is good in the air when they have a ball-playing partner to complement.

Comment

Chelsea bought him while he was still serving a Ten game ban for this tackle I had no idea about this. I went looking for zouma and injury and I got this. He's got a lot going for him as a defender, but I really don't think he's good enough on the ball to play the role chelsea need of him, and that would seem to be a big component of what chelsea want from him. They don't need him to be brilliant, they need him to be good enough.

Comment

Didn't know about the ban, or I forgot. 10 games though - that seems hugely excessive unless he had a lot of previous.

Yes, Zouma will probably be third or perhaps fourth choice in his position. Early days though.

Comment

That's in slow motion. He hit him so hard that he broke both his tibia and fibia and dislocated his ankle. I only found that because I was trying to find out how badly he got injured against man utd years ago. He destroyed himself landing after a header. It was truly horrible to see.

I see that Frank lampard's assistant is.,,,,,, Jody fucking Morris!!! What next? Lee Hendrie as director of football at atletico madrid?
              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 11-08-2019, 20:57.

Comment

Yes, I saw that the other guy was badly hurt and the tackle was reckless but he was reaching for the ball and got it. I don't think you'd get 10 games for a deliberate leg-breaker in England - Keane only got an initial three-game ban for the Haaland assault. Many would say the French have got it right, of course.

Don't slag Jody. He's an excellent coach. Don't be fooled by his reputation as a player.

Comment

Jesus, if those were the highlights of Newcastle v Arsenal the rest of the game must have been tedious shit.

Also has anyone ever called out the patent bollocks that Newcastle fans are somehow more loyal and more committed than anyone else? Bruce was playing that line in his post match interview.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                    By the way, why does anyone want to hear what jose mourinho has to say about anything? You'd think his trail of toxic failure would have reduced demand for him, but oh, no.
                    Ditto Alan Pardew, who was on Goals on Sunday today. Newsflash - he's available, folks.

Comment

Norwich finish the weekend in 16th!

E-I-E-I-E-I-O, up the Premier League we go...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                        Ditto Alan Pardew, who was on Goals on Sunday today. Newsflash - he's available, folks.
                        As an aside, I note that Alex Scott is now hosting GOS. She's fine, but how has she managed to wing both that and the Football Focus gig?

Comment

Huth I think is the example from his first spell at chelsea.
                          The same Huth who was absolutely imperious for Leicester when they won the title?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            Also has anyone ever called out the patent bollocks that Newcastle fans are somehow more loyal and more committed than anyone else? Bruce was playing that line in his post match interview.
                            I'm not going to defend such a ludicrous notion as if it's something to be proud of given how NUFC fans want rid of Ashley but there was supposed to be a boycott for this game and on the fan forums it seemed likely to have an impact. The attendance was quoted at 47,635 though since that figure included season ticket holder seats, some are saying it was more likely 45,000. So either 4,000 or 7,000 down on the first game of last season.

Either way, despite all the talk of #IfRafaGoesWeGo, #BoycottAshley, etc. those silly loyal and committed folks are intent on watching the team irrespective of convictions and principles. When I asked my uncle if he'd be attending he said, "I divn't nah, depends on whether me mates are gannin'". I'm sure they attended. And that we'll be stuck with Ashley for another twelve years.
                            Last edited by MonkeyHarris; 12-08-2019, 09:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

As an aside, I note that Alex Scott is now hosting GOS. She's fine, but how has she managed to wing both that and the Football Focus gig?
                              Her weekends are going to be frantic once Strictly starts.

Comment

Yes, I saw that the other guy was badly hurt and the tackle was reckless but he was reaching for the ball and got it. I don't think you'd get 10 games for a deliberate leg-breaker in England - Keane only got an initial three-game ban for the Haaland assault. Many would say the French have got it right, of course.

Here, I'm not expecting you to defend him or something. That's a really insane tackle. He got the ban because Its a straight red card in three different ways at the same time. He's going way too fast, He's flying through the air, and he does all that damage with his non-tackling leg. (Zlatan got sent off for a very similar tackle against chelsea a couple of years ago, but nowhere near as forceful.) In his defence, he is 18 at the time, and doesn't have any reputation for that sort of thing now. looking at soccernet, he picked up one yellow card in 37 games for stoke, and 1 yellow in 37 games for everton. He did however pick up two yellows and a red card for mithering the referee after a game against watford, though he claimed not to see the first yellow card, and would have stopped if he had. He seems to have been very popular everywhere he's been, and there are a bunch of interviews involving him that kind of reinforce my suspicions that young footballers today are considerably more well balanced than their counterparts 20 years ago. (I'm looking at you golden generation, and you class of 92)

Mourinho was on pouring poison. He had a little dig, when punditing on a series of situations where luke shaw is left two on one because the forwards are staying up the field, Suggesting that Maguire should get used to covering for shaw, "(which will happen a lot)" I found myself thinking, You absolute cunt. firstly You're blaming a player for not receiving any cover, (something he loves doing with shaw) and secondly of course maguire will be covering for shaw a lot. he'll have to change position every time shaw or wan-bissaka goes up the pitch. It's been a part of football ever since full backs started venturing beyond the halfway line on a semi regular basis. People watch it happening thousands of times a season. This is not a weakness unique to shaw. It's not a weakness at all.

Then he had a go at zouma for the penalty (as a way of running down rashford) saying it was a lack of preparation, because essentially marcus rashford always wants to cut in on his right foot, which is true, apart from all the time that he burns players on the outside and crosses. But that aside, Mourinho is engaging in the sort of bullshit analysis that Roy Keane likes to indulge in. something bad happened therefore someone made an obvious mistake and must be blamed. But the thing that this sort of bolloxology kind of analysis fails to consider is that zouma had no good options there. I'm struggling to think of too many defenders who would have done any better in his position. He has to race across to try and cover the unmarked rashford, get in front of him, and turn around to face him while slowing down, And while he's in the process of doing that, he's completely off balance, so can do very little if rashford waits for this precise moment to change direction. His reward for desperately trying to get back to save the situation, is to get blamed for the bad situation in the first place.

Comment

Loads of pundits appear across a few channels now. Ian Wright is usually on ITV for internationals. Gary Lineker is on BT Sport. Danny Murphy tips up any and everywhere. Pundits that are only on one gig are either a) loyal, b) lucky to have the one gig because they are rubbish, or c) lazy. Or in Alan Shearer's case, all 3.

Comment

Also I love how The Awesome Berbaslug!!! still vehemently hates, hates, hates Mourinho.

Comment

I've hated mourinho since that game against porto and his celebration. It was weird to see a manager take all the credit for the goal. It turned out that that was only the beginning of his fucking madness. Also he hasn't changed. He's still a toxic shit talking cunt who spent his time rubbishing the club and his players to protect his own reputation, and he shows no sign of stopping now.

Well at least now he can spend more time with his family now.
                                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 12-08-2019, 10:16.

Comment

I watched the EFL highlights on Quest on Saturday and for the first time in what seems like ever they decide to mention Cheltenham in their little piece after the goals round-up. How good of Stephen Warnock to talk of Michael Duff being a good young English manager – the same Michael Duff who was born in Belfast and has 24 Northern Irish caps.

Comment

Zouma got a 10-match ban not because that's what the disparate elements of the incident added up to but because the French FA had a policy at the time, and possibly still do, of huge bans in the event of serious injury to an opponent.

I'd like to make clear that my fondness for Zouma has nothing to do with how cute his little lad is. When my daughter was a Chelsea mascot a few years ago and we were billeted in the players' family lounge, we spent half of our time making sure that Zouma Jnr. didn't hurt himself as he toddled around the place and on the steps down to the pitch-side box, Ms. Zouma favouring the light-touch approach to parenting.
                                          Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 12-08-2019, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            Loads of pundits appear across a few channels now. Ian Wright is usually on ITV for internationals. Gary Lineker is on BT Sport. Danny Murphy tips up any and everywhere. Pundits that are only on one gig are either a) loyal, b) lucky to have the one gig because they are rubbish, or c) lazy. Or in Alan Shearer's case, all 3.
                                            I appreciate that yer so-called experts turn up on a variety of shows upon various channels, but hosting rival programming seems to me fortuitous in the extreme. (I mean, like Brian Moore would ever have tipped up on MOTD...)

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                                            Her weekends are going to be frantic once Strictly starts.
                                            Ha.

Comment

I appreciate that yer so-called experts turn up on a variety of shows upon various channels, but hosting rival programming seems to me fortuitous in the extreme. (I mean, like Brian Moore would ever have tipped up on MOTD...)
                                              I've always presumed it's a consequence of making the "talent" freelance rather than centrally contracted to the BBC (in order that their remuneration isn't directly seen as BBC salary - not that that's worked on a PR angle) meaning they can't be forbade from working with ostensible rivals.

Comment

It's exactly that, but it's making for a somewhat claustrophobic viewing experience. I don't see much value in having identical opinions on every channel.

Comment

well I for one can't get enough of Phil Neville.

Comment

Haha!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X