• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giggler
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    What happened at Northwich?
    Pretty much The People's Front of Mid-Cheshire and The Mid-Cheshire People's Front each formed their own club.

Leave a comment:

• Giggler
    replied
    The ground isn't in Dale's hands, it's in the hands of Capital Bridge Finance, a shady organisation with allegedly the brother-in-law in a former BFC director at the helm.

I have a vested interest with the MP in that my partner works for him and he has been a great constituency MP since being elected. I initially backed the efforts for reinstatement but as the saga has drawn on I've not had as much to do with it. I now think the Phoenix has to be the only way.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    What happened at Northwich?

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    The ground's the problem innit, and prising it from Dale's cold hands. Phoenix club surely the only game in town, and the abortive campaign to restore the existing Bury FC to League Two, fronted up by the MP, doesn't appear to have been massively helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Giggler
    replied
    The Phoenix club has been motoring and making progress in the background while the current shell of the existing club limps on. I was desperate for a bullet to be put into its head 13 days ago so we could all draw a line under it and move on. I'm hoping for the same tomorrow.

There has been a bit of turmoil today after four co-opted directors who came into the fold when all this started and put their heads above the parapet were asked to stand down in favour of four co-opted members of the Phoenix club group. I just hope today isn't the start of Bury taking the same route as Northwich. We all need to be focused on one goal.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I understand the winding-up is tomorrow, after it had been suspended two weeks ago by a judge. Much ranting from Dale, who is not going quietly but as usual is not producing any evidence of financial viability.

Is there any news on a Phoenix club?

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    Ach, could you not have somehow had master H's birth at Chelsea and Westminster hospital

Leave a comment:

• HORN
    replied
    Slight coincidence. Newport, where I was born, lost their team when I was aged 26. And now Bury, where Master HORN was born 26 years ago, look to be going the same way.

Thinking of you and your fellow Shakers, Giggler. I remember the misery all too clearly.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    What everyone has said Giggler. Very best wishes in the coming days, weeks, years.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    No. He appears to have written a letter pledging to do so as part of this application. The EFL will understandable have given that precisely zero weight.

The current legal vehicle that is Bury FC might be wound up in a few weeks time, but that isn't Bury FC. Bury FC does not die when this dies. The history continues, because the history is the people and they are still there. The corporate entity may be legally the club, but in social terms it is not.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Has Dale fucked off yet?
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-09-2019, 18:23.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    A big virtual hug to Giggler and his Shaker comrades (only those who want one, obviously), and best of luck to the successor club.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    That’s a major loss. But the pub is still there, right? (I’m assuming the Rose & Crown is a pub. Lots of pubs called that).

Leave a comment:

• Giggler
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Good luck and let us know how we can support the new, better Bury.

In the interviews with sad Bury and Bolton fans that I've read, several supporters explained how they felt like the people they saw at the ground every week were their friends and neighbors, even though they didn't even know where they lived or much about the other six days of their week. Losing that connection is far more important than the football itself. That reminded me of something I'd read about UK pub culture many years ago - people often only know the regulars from their local from that pub.* And yet, it's still a community. And that made me understand why OTF still works so well 20 years on. It was built on that model of community. And it's glorious.

*I haven't experienced that many times in my life. Tickets to sporting events here are now so expensive that even if you have season tickets, the other season ticket holders around your seat are likely going to be selling a lot of them. It's like that with me at Penn State hockey. There are a few people in my section that I talk to week after week - I don't even know their names - but mostly it's a different group each week and I have to overhear their inane chatter about non-hockey matters or how completely ignorant they are about what they're watching.

The only pubs I've experienced like that were in Boston. Cheers was 100% accurate as far as that goes. I don't drink any more, but maybe I should find a bar that has regulars. The problem around here is that the bars nearby are dominated by students, so it's not that kind of vibe.
    You're quite right. The football is merely incidental when it comes to what I'm missing at the moment and what is causing such pain. It's the thousand different interactions I'm missing, with Lynne who took my ticket, with Susan who sold me my half time draw ticket, with Bernard in the social club, with Dave in the Rose and Crown.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Good luck and let us know how we can support the new, better Bury.

In the interviews with sad Bury and Bolton fans that I've read, several supporters explained how they felt like the people they saw at the ground every week were their friends and neighbors, even though they didn't even know where they lived or much about the other six days of their week. Losing that connection is far more important than the football itself. That reminded me of something I'd read about UK pub culture many years ago - people often only know the regulars from their local from that pub.* And yet, it's still a community. And that made me understand why OTF still works so well 20 years on. It was built on that model of community. And it's glorious.

*I haven't experienced that many times in my life. Tickets to sporting events here are now so expensive that even if you have season tickets, the other season ticket holders around your seat are likely going to be selling a lot of them. It's like that with me at Penn State hockey. There are a few people in my section that I talk to week after week - I don't even know their names - but mostly it's a different group each week and I have to overhear their inane chatter about non-hockey matters or how completely ignorant they are about what they're watching.

The only pubs I've experienced like that were in Boston. Cheers was 100% accurate as far as that goes. I don't drink any more, but maybe I should find a bar that has regulars. The problem around here is that the bars nearby are dominated by students, so it's not that kind of vibe.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    Can’t say I expected the EFL or the clubs to agree to a L2 readmission for Bury next season. Was worth a shot, but I think it’s the right decision for the discouragement of other scummy owners. Good luck with a phoenix club once you’ve ditched the likes of Dale.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Truly sorry to hear this. I deeply hope you can get a Phoenix club going for next season and gradually climb back into the league like Wimbledon did. The fan base is there locally and huge goodwill from the rest of us.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Gutted for you, mate.

Leave a comment:

• Giggler
    replied
    So there we have it then. The other 71 chairs have voted not to admit Bury into L2 next season. No-one will want to clear the colossal debts for a non-league club so Bury Football Club, formed 24th April 1885, will almost certainly be wound up at the High Court case versus HMRC on 16th October.

We had a great time but that's it. It's over.

Fuck you, Stewart Day. Fuck you, Glenn Thomas. Fuck you, Steve Dale.

Leave a comment:

• NHH
    replied
    I remember Luton going though their 2003-era troubles and a journalist saying that John Gurney had failed to realise that you could fuck around with a non-league club time and again and no-one would care, but mess with one of the 92, and you brought down a whole heap of scrutiny and trouble. Sadly, it's more like you can now add the bottom two tiers to the list of fuckable around with clubs.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Remembered this thread after posting this link on the div 3 thread. Greater Manchester Police investigating report of fraud at Bury https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-49568307

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    I think it's worth putting a huge amount of effort right now into protecting Gigg Lane, but yeah, if they want a club, they will have a club, Gigg Lane or no.

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    Mmm. The story (not your comments, which are good) frames it a bit as 'get gigg lane or no point', obviously getting at least use of the ground will make things much easier, but afc bury or whatever is going to happen anyway (unless the club somehow stays in existence).

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    I agree with this bloke

Bury supporters have been advised keeping Gigg Lane is key to starting a phoenix club after the Shakers' English Football League membership was…

Leave a comment:

• HORN
    replied
    There was mention in a recent David Conn article that according to Bury council Gigg Lane "is protected for sporting purposes and no development would be allowed on it". Hopeful...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X