No announcement yet.

Giggler are you OK? Are you OK Giggler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a nice piece about the revival of Bury on German radio a couple of months ago

article here

Comment

Administrator puts Bury FC stadium up for sale:

Community interest group linked with acquisition of stadium and trading name

Comment

AFC Bury would hardly be able to afford such a purchase, but perhaps if it ended up in community ownership, they may be able to come to an agreement with the owners.

Comment

It's Bury AFC (or just Bury, as I presume the supporters prefer), no?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            It's Bury AFC (or just Bury, as I presume the supporters prefer), no?
            AFC Bury are the phoenix club that played a few games in the NWC league before the season was curtailed.

There is still a Bury FC in name that Dale said were hoping to be admitted to the National league and play at Gigg but this was unlikely. There was a schism between supporters of the two at the outset but hopefully that's eased now. From the outside looking in, it still seems the AFC route is the best option, with a long term view of getting back to Gigg.

Comment

I'm well aware of that but was pointing out that AFC is the suffix not the prefix :

Comment

Yes, it's Bury AFC, not AFC Bury.

The split hasn't really eased in my eyes. I still received libellous and defamatory abuse after the BT Sport documentary, as did my partner who's on Bury Council.

I think the assumption that AFC is the most likely to progress is correct, but as long as the original club remains un-liquidated there are those who think it can be saved.

Comment

My bike ride took me around Bury yesterday so I dropped in on Gigg (and posted a couple of pics on Twitter with the #floodlightfriday hashtag). Have you any idea who this community interest group is Giggler as there don't seem to be any hints anywhere that I can find?

Comment

Community Interest Group is a legal term from the 2011 Localism Act - as Gigg Lane has been designated an Asset of Community Value, any sale must first be offered to CIGs. If one indicates a desire to make a bid, then it can only be sold in the next six months* no-one apart from a CIG (not necessarily the same one who indicated that they would make a bid) can be registered as the purchaser of the asset by the Land Registry, which means any sale to a non-CIG which needs to be registered before 6 months is up is not a legal sale.

The situation with the two Bury's is awfully similar to Scarborough when they went bust; a group of loyalists who fixated on the notion that the company was the club (who were also people who'd been loyalists to the regime when it was in place). It always felt that the whole loyalty to the company thing was in fact an antagonism to the people behind the phoenix club for having had the temerity to commit the awful crime of lese majeste by standing up to the owners. Forelock tuggers, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                      Yes, it's Bury AFC, not AFC Bury.

The split hasn't really eased in my eyes. I still received libellous and defamatory abuse after the BT Sport documentary, as did my partner who's on Bury Council.
                      That's fucking shit, mate. I feel proper angry hearing that you've had to put up with shit like that.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
                        Community Interest Group is a legal term from the 2011 Localism Act - as Gigg Lane has been designated an Asset of Community Value, any sale must first be offered to CIGs. If one indicates a desire to make a bid, then it can only be sold in the next six months* no-one apart from a CIG (not necessarily the same one who indicated that they would make a bid) can be registered as the purchaser of the asset by the Land Registry, which means any sale to a non-CIG which needs to be registered before 6 months is up is not a legal sale.

The situation with the two Bury's is awfully similar to Scarborough when they went bust; a group of loyalists who fixated on the notion that the company was the club (who were also people who'd been loyalists to the regime when it was in place). It always felt that the whole loyalty to the company thing was in fact an antagonism to the people behind the phoenix club for having had the temerity to commit the awful crime of lese majeste by standing up to the owners. Forelock tuggers, really.
                        Delusional forelock tuggers at Bury at that.

Just to help me out a bit further then as my understanding of finance in general, let alone football finance is next to zero, is it reasonable to see this development as being on the whole a good thing in that if anything is likely to stimulate people who have Bury's best interests at heart into action it's this?

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post

Was it the forelock tuggers who formed the ill-fated Scarborough Town?

I really should go back there actually, Scarborough was a great trip. I must have seen one of the last Football League games there.

Their moving back to the town had passed me by for some reason.
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-05-2021, 07:55.

Comment

Artificial Hipster, while there are of course no guarantees in such things it is fair to assume that a CIG/CIC would be a better steward than a purely commercial enterprise.

A community interest company is a business with primarily social objectives whose surpluses are principally reinvested for that purpose in the business or the community, rather than being driven by the need to maximize profit for shareholders and owners. CICs tackle a wide range of social and environmental issues and operate in all parts of the economy. By using business solutions to achieve public good, it is believed that CICs have a distinct and valuable role to play in helping create a strong, sustainable and socially inclusive economy.[3]

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Artificial Hipster, while there are of course no guarantees in such things it is fair to assume that a CIG/CIC would be a better steward than a purely commercial enterprise.
                              Yeah absolutely, I get that bit. I guess I'm not sure if NHH is saying the ground could only ever be sold to a CIG or whether it's just that CIG's would be prioritised and would have time on their side before a point is reached at which other buyers could get involved.

Comment

I read it as being the latter, but am sure he will be by to clarify.

Comment

Me too hence being hopeful this might be the start of something that could end well. Someone's got to do the positivity on Giggler's behalf!

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post

Yeah absolutely, I get that bit. I guess I'm not sure if NHH is saying the ground could only ever be sold to a CIG or whether it's just that CIG's would be prioritised and would have time on their side before a point is reached at which other buyers could get involved.
                                    No - it's a very inadequate English version of the much weightier powers enjoyed in Scotland under the 2003 Land Reform Act. The latter gives communities the right to buy land assets, the former gives community groups the right to lodge a bid, and for their bid to be the only ones that can be accepted for 6 months.

Owners are under no obligation to sell, can agree to sell to someone else in the 6 months, and have the sale registered after the 6 months is up. It's a useful marker of a community's intent that a certain asset should be outside the free market economy and be considered as having a public quality ill-suited to private ownership, but gives precious little in the way of practical ability for that asset to move out of the free market economy.

You can imagine the spinning afterwards from the coalition partners. The Lib Dems giving it full on 'you should have seen us in there', and the Tories satisfied that nothing too fundamental has impeded the free enjoyment of property.

Comment

Steve Dale ‘donation’ kickstarts Bury AFC charitable programme. I love this story.

https://buryafc.uk/2021/07/steve-dal...n-ticket-fund/

Comment

That's class Giggler

Comment

Oh nice one.

Comment

Missed this earlier, a great story.

Comment

Cherish your clubs, cherish your grounds.

[URL="https://twitter.com/jimroache/status/1422550919468699650?s=21"]https://twitter.com/jimroache/status...468699650?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                                                Cherish your clubs, cherish your grounds.
                                                Absolutely. As much as anything else, those pics are a reminder of what a lovely ground Gigg Lane is. I certainly remember thinking so when I made made my two visits there.

Comment

Gigg Lane on rightmove now.

Comment

Bury and Gigg Lane bought by fans group today according to Daily Mirror. Though I doubt it’s that simple.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X